Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-11-2015, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Testing record with three DAW. Cubase, Sam & PT

I think that this isnt the comparison I would like to see because I think Ableton and MOTU Digital Performer 9 are the real like for like competitors and with the whole licensing change I would think these are the most likely ones. Not sure where Cakewalk has left off since I have not even though about them in years.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:12 PM

All the top cats know that the solo buttons in Pro Tools sound better than anything else on the market. In Logic, you click solo and it's like "oh, now we're just hearing the track by itself." But in Pro Tools, you click solo and it's like "BAM. HERE'S JUST THAT TRACK ALONE FOR YOU BRO." Kills me every time.

My biggest gripe about the S3 is that the solo buttons don't sound as good as the mouse. Oh well, the mutes are still top-notch.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanstewartguitar View Post
All the top cats know that the solo buttons in Pro Tools sound better than anything else on the market. In Logic, you click solo and it's like "oh, now we're just hearing the track by itself." But in Pro Tools, you click solo and it's like "BAM. HERE'S JUST THAT TRACK ALONE FOR YOU BRO." Kills me every time.

My biggest gripe about the S3 is that the solo buttons don't sound as good as the mouse. Oh well, the mutes are still top-notch.

So true ;-)
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 10-12-2015, 08:39 PM

I'm not saying that it's impossible but once the signal has been converted to digital it is the string of 1s and 0s no matter what DAW you put it in. Now I could be wrong but unless the file is corrupted in some way all things being equal it will "sound" the same weather you are playing it in Pro Tools or any other DAW.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:57 PM

While I haven't done any tests of my own involving the sounds of different DAWs, I do believe it is naive to think that just because it's 0's and 1's everything will sound the same. Not that anyone here has said that, just a common argument I've heard.

I do know this, I can absolutely confirm hearing a significant enough difference between 2 cheap S/PDIF cables and a Mogami cable to make me spend 10x for the latter. I was legitimately disappointed to discover this. But obviously that's a different thing altogether than the sound of a DAW.

Last edited by ryanstewartguitar; 10-13-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:41 AM

I believe two systems may sound different, but due to other factors than 'different digital summing'.

I've read similar discussion in hydrogenaud.io forum, so they gave some guidelines for comparison:
Code:
1) Be sure to compare o a fixed, reliable standard for your sonic comparison
(2) Avoid excessively long switchover times in excess of a second or two.
(3) Be sure to use proper level matching, and double check it out.
(4) Be sure to listen the identical same piece of music or drama within a few milliseconds.
(5) be sure to be careful to no reveal the true identity of the UUTs to the listener.
The best way to compare 2 DAW progams is to use them to create the identical same file twice, in accordance with the guidelines above.

Then compare them with a trustworthy comparison program, such as Foobar2000 with the ABX plug in. It will attend to a number of the issues rased above such as time-synching and quick switching.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:04 AM

MCompare works for this too. Has automatic gain compensation, can source material from DAW or directly from WAV files, or a combination of the two.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanstewartguitar View Post
I do know this, I can absolutely confirm hearing a significant enough difference between 2 cheap S/PDIF cables and a Mogami cable to make me spend 10x for the latter.
So, you've transferred a track with a cheap cable into Tools (being sure to clock to the external S/PDIF word clock), then done exactly the same thing with the Mogami cable, then lined them up, and the two tracks haven't phase cancelled? Really? Really though?
Old 10-13-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
So, you've transferred a track with a cheap cable into Tools (being sure to clock to the external S/PDIF word clock), then done exactly the same thing with the Mogami cable, then lined them up, and the two tracks haven't phase cancelled? Really? Really though?
You can doubt all you want, but I have no reason to.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:50 AM

Default Testing record with three DAW. Cubase, Sam & PT

SPDIF and all digital cables transmit 100.0% perfect or 0.0% non-working signal. Such is the nature of digital cabling. You can spend a million for a cable if you want to (I can sell you one for that price, buy two and get 25% discount) but it doesn't make a difference

Clocking and especially jitter is another thing. You can hear a difference if you change anything in playback. But unless you hear loud spikes, pops and crackles, digital transfer is just fine.