Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-02-2012, 10:13 AM

Default Problem opening pro tools file.

Just my luck today. Had a client in, and at 4pm.. 2 hours before the end of the session, and the projects we had been working on would not open.
Spent 2 hours trying everything to get it working, nothing!

The project file sticks when 'Activating Inserts'. Some of them activate, then it seems to stop and freeze after a few inserts. We have 3 project files and none of them will open. Not even any of the backup files will work, the same problem applies.

I have tried restarting many times, updating pro tools to its latest version, switched it off for a while and gone back to it. none of which work!

My computer spec is PC
Windows 7 Prof
Intel Core i5 2500k
8GB DDR3 Memory
A 1TB hard drive that it is running off, BUT i've copied the projects over to all hard drives and tried running off each.. nothing!

I can open pro tools fine and create a new project. Even open previous client projects. All work fine! Just these 3 that I've made recently!!

I am open to ANY ideas that people have. I am really in desperation here as I have consequently lost money and been forced to offer out free studio time to get the recordings finished!
Old 04-02-2012, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Problem opening pro tools file.

Use the Import-->Session Data... command (File menu) to import all the tracks from those sessions. Make sure to check all relevant boxes (Markers, Tempo, etc.). That should get you back to work for now. But the newly created sessions may exhibit the same problem.

It sounds like it's probably a plug-in problem. To prevent it in the future, make sure all plug-ins are up-to-date. Even if they are, move any that you don't use to the Unused Plug-ins folder and see if it clears up. For the most part, you don't need to move out Avid plugs, but D-verb can cause problems like that sometimes.

Nyquist was right.

PT 2021.6 Ultimate | Omni | macOS Catalina in a Trashcan 32GB
PT 2021.6 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB