Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-02-2012, 09:47 AM

Default No Sound with ASIo driver

Hi every-body!

I'm a new Pro Tools user - converting from other tools.

I can't get sound out of ProTools - even the metronome doesn't sound. I know my PC is working, cuz I can play games, watch videos...

I checked the SETUP | I/O settings and it's setup to use ASIO audio (probably a virtual audio driver?) How do I tell Pro Tools to use my HD audio? - I don't see it listed there as an option.

is there another driver that I'm supposed to setup or install? I can purchase another sound card if I need to, but I'm just starting out - so I'm hoping to avoid unnecessary expenses.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:49 PM

Default Re: No Sound with ASIo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasjbs View Post
Hi every-body!

I'm a new Pro Tools user - converting from other tools.

I can't get sound out of ProTools - even the metronome doesn't sound. I know my PC is working, cuz I can play games, watch videos...

I checked the SETUP | I/O settings and it's setup to use ASIO audio (probably a virtual audio driver?) How do I tell Pro Tools to use my HD audio? - I don't see it listed there as an option.

is there another driver that I'm supposed to setup or install? I can purchase another sound card if I need to, but I'm just starting out - so I'm hoping to avoid unnecessary expenses.
Start PT holding down the 'n' key and you'll be able to change/select your preferred audio engine. Specifically - what do you mean by 'HD audio'? PT10 HD or some onboard audio card?

QAPLA!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:23 PM

I ran PT with N key down, but no special menu appeared. I held it down while the program loaded - it asked me to open or create a file and I held it down after that window appeared to.

I'm using on-board audio (HD, gigabyte) motherboard. I can buy an audio card if I need to, but I was hoping not to.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:27 PM

Ok - tried it again. I had to click on the Pro Tools App while it was loading - to make sure that IT was processing the N key held down.

it showed me the Audiio window, but the only device it showed was the ASIO driver - as if it doesn't recognize or support onboard Audio drivers without a special driver for them.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Ok - tried it again. I had to click on the Pro Tools App while it was loading - to make sure that IT was processing the N key held down.

it showed me the Audiio window, but the only device it showed was the ASIO driver - as if it doesn't recognize or support onboard Audio drivers without a special driver for them.
That's because your onboard sound I/O is probably using WDM drivers. Maybe ASIOforall will work in your situation for the onboard sound card. Eventually you're going to have to purchase a decent sound card as those onboard Soundblaster-type cards are only good for gaming.

QAPLA!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:26 PM

Thats the driver I am using - ASIOForAll.

Any recommendations for a sound card that is supported by Pro Tools? Also, do any Midi devices like Oxygen 8 have built-in audio hardware that is supported by Pro Tools?

I was thinking about buying an Oxygen 8 Midi keyboard anyway.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Thats the driver I am using - ASIOForAll.

Any recommendations for a sound card that is supported by Pro Tools? Also, do any Midi devices like Oxygen 8 have built-in audio hardware that is supported by Pro Tools?

I was thinking about buying an Oxygen 8 Midi keyboard anyway.
The Oxygen 8 is a MIDI only keyboard. It's discontinued anyways. None of the Avid MIDI controllers have an audio interface that I know of.

If you want a combo MIDI keyboard and audio interface you're going to have to do some searching on Google; also the same for any audio interface. There's a ton of stuff that will or should work with proper ASIO drivers. I only mentioned ASIOforall drivers as a possibility no knowing if they would work or not. Can't recommend anything because you haven't mentioned what version of Windoze you're running, whether you have a laptop or desktop, budget, etc.

One thing: if you want to stay in the Avid family there's always the Mbox, Axiom and newer Oxygen stuff.

QAPLA!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:45 AM

In my experience (and I believe it varies according to what sound card / chip your pc is based on - so this is not a blanket statement) the ASIO4ALL driver only outputs sound through the headphone socket - rather than say, your laptop's built in speakers.

If you plug in headphones or active speakers with a mini jack, you should be ok.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:22 AM

**noob mode enabled**
Do any of the Mbox devices support "Audio processing" like an Add-in card would? I have both Mac and PC and would rather get a device that I could connect to either PC/Notebook - since I can't get a card for the Mac notebook anyway.
**noob mode disabled**

I'm pretty sure I am connected to the headphone jack of the PC, but in the middle of writing this sentence, I'm not so sure. So i'll check it out when I get home.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
**noob mode enabled**
Do any of the Mbox devices support "Audio processing" like an Add-in card would? I have both Mac and PC and would rather get a device that I could connect to either PC/Notebook - since I can't get a card for the Mac notebook anyway.
**noob mode disabled**

I'm pretty sure I am connected to the headphone jack of the PC, but in the middle of writing this sentence, I'm not so sure. So i'll check it out when I get home.

Thanks for your help.
Depends on what you call audio processing. As far as not being able to get a 'card' for the Mac it depends on what model laptop you have. Really, the term 'audio card' is a misnomer because it can refer to anything from an internal pcie card with an external breakout box to something that plugs in to a USB 2.0 or Firewire port. At least we know now that you're using a laptop and not a desktop so you need something that either plugs into the USB or FW ports (depending on which you have). Some like certain MOTU units can plug in to either type of port. The MOTU units can work with either Windoze or Mac operating systems and computers.

QAPLA!