Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2022, 07:25 AM

Default Macbook Pro M1 or Mac Studio Ultra?

I am just about to purchase a Macbook Pro M1 Max , with the highest spec, which is roughly the same price as the base model of the Mac Studio M1 Ultra.

I really am torn between the 2, though if I need to take the computer somewhere to get something installed, the laptop is far easier.

Just seems strange to run a small studio from a laptop!

Any thoughts?
Old 04-04-2022, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Macbook Pro M1 or Mac Studio Ultra?

What do you mean when you say take the computer somewhere to get something installed? If it is software, you can usually do that in the studio or home via the Internet. If it is hardware, you can bring a keyboard, mouse, and monitor if the location does not have it already.

I understand what you are saying about running a recording studio from a laptop, but I've been doing that for about 7 years. I used to rely on a Cheese Grater Mac Pro but have been able to do everything I needed via a MacBook Pro. Now that the M1 Max Macbook Pro has such great performance, it is very much a viable solution for the studio. The flexibility it offers for on-location tracking or remote mixing/editing is welcome.

Having said that, the Mac Studio form factor is not difficult to move between locations. If it is between studio and home, I suggest getting a set of keyboard, mouse, and monitor for each location. If cost is an issue, you may consider the M1 Max Studio. It has enough power (equivalent to the M1 Max MacBook Pro). You can get it with 32 GB RAM or opt for the 64 GB RAM.

So the question for you is, what form factor works for you use case. Also is the performance of the M1 Ultra Mac Studio and the larger RAM option necessary for you. The general rule is that if you use many large virtual instruments that must reside in RAM (most don't require this) then the Ultra with 128 GB RAM is ideal. Keep in mind that that will be more expensive than the base M1 Ultra Mac Studio with only 64 GB RAM.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 04-05-2022, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
What do you mean when you say take the computer somewhere to get something installed? If it is software, you can usually do that in the studio or home via the Internet. If it is hardware, you can bring a keyboard, mouse, and monitor if the location does not have it already.

I understand what you are saying about running a recording studio from a laptop, but I've been doing that for about 7 years. I used to rely on a Cheese Grater Mac Pro but have been able to do everything I needed via a MacBook Pro. Now that the M1 Max Macbook Pro has such great performance, it is very much a viable solution for the studio. The flexibility it offers for on-location tracking or remote mixing/editing is welcome.

Having said that, the Mac Studio form factor is not difficult to move between locations. If it is between studio and home, I suggest getting a set of keyboard, mouse, and monitor for each location. If cost is an issue, you may consider the M1 Max Studio. It has enough power (equivalent to the M1 Max MacBook Pro). You can get it with 32 GB RAM or opt for the 64 GB RAM.

So the question for you is, what form factor works for you use case. Also is the performance of the M1 Ultra Mac Studio and the larger RAM option necessary for you. The general rule is that if you use many large virtual instruments that must reside in RAM (most don't require this) then the Ultra with 128 GB RAM is ideal. Keep in mind that that will be more expensive than the base M1 Ultra Mac Studio with only 64 GB RAM.

Thank you for that, very helpful, for my circumstances I have decided on the macbook pro M1 MX.
Old 04-05-2022, 03:29 AM

I have an M1PRO MacBook Pro, with an M1MAX Mac studio ordered and due to be delivered in early June.

I bought the Avid HDX thunderbolt chassis to experiment with my MacBook Pro. I've been running it as my main production machine for the past week and it's been running so well that I'm actually considering canceling my order for the Mac Studio.

I do mostly studio recording and mixing of live instruments and very little MIDI
But this laptop is a beast and runs in about 15% of the CPU on my largest mixes so far.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 04-05-2022, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell View Post
I have an M1PRO MacBook Pro, with an M1MAX Mac studio ordered and due to be delivered in early June.

I bought the Avid HDX thunderbolt chassis to experiment with my MacBook Pro. I've been running it as my main production machine for the past week and it's been running so well that I'm actually considering canceling my order for the Mac Studio.

I do mostly studio recording and mixing of live instruments and very little MIDI
But this laptop is a beast and runs in about 15% of the CPU on my largest mixes so far.
Hi Will,
Good to know, I have a friend who has been running his studio on a MacPro, now he has moved to the MacBook Pro M1 Max and says its the best move he ever made! I think the stigma attached to running a recording studio on a laptop has changed now with the recent MacBook Pro's.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:58 AM

The performance between the MBP and the Studio, where both are M1 Max is identical. What you get with the MBP is a killer screen and portability, which will prove to be valuable at some point. Back in the day, Desktops always out performed Laptops, but Silicon changed that, at least for now it seems.

So I'd go with the MBP. I have a Mac Studio Ultra that ships this week that I will be doing some extensive testing. It will have to floor me, for me to keep it over my MBP, but we will see.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTalk View Post
The performance between the MBP and the Studio, where both are M1 Max is identical. What you get with the MBP is a killer screen and portability, which will prove to be valuable at some point. Back in the day, Desktops always out performed Laptops, but Silicon changed that, at least for now it seems.

So I'd go with the MBP. I have a Mac Studio Ultra that ships this week that I will be doing some extensive testing. It will have to floor me, for me to keep it over my MBP, but we will see.
I am sure the MacStudio Ultra will be outstanding too.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerochan View Post
I am sure the MacStudio Ultra will be outstanding too.
I think it is more a consideration of studio logistics and work flow
If you are not in need of the extra connections on the Studio , and if you are not doing big video projects ,,,and given you can connect multiple displays to the M1 Max MBP ...I don't see why The MPB would be in any way, a less viable studio machine

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...