Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 04-23-2022, 12:37 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack with Big Sur 11.5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcarola View Post
Hi Darryl,
Thank you for your kind remark.
The post was directed to the people of AVID that I hope will work out a driver for the 11R on Monterey. Shouldn't be that hard for them.
And I posted the crash information so they can find why every program in the world work with Monterey but the AVID stuff.
As a long term pro user of Digidesign and then AVID (nomen omen) I feel so bad when such a powerful hardware like 11R is artificially killed. Just for the older 48bit chips inside.
SO I am posting that staff everywhere since the support site is impossible to use.
I get it, but also at this time, most of their programmers were in Ukraine.

Do you need a driver because it is your audio interface? AVID stopped selling the 11R In June 2019, though there may have been some still left on the market.

Are you needing a driver to "edit or control it" from the DAW? I doubt that you are going to get much love from AVID on that.
Just like Artist series controllers no longer being supported either.

The unit still works without a driver. You can still tweak it, its just not as elegant. This is a reason to keep older systems around as well.
Fire up an old laptop, connect it to that and tweak it and send the audio into your main system.

I don't blame AVID for dropping the product though. There are FAR better products that sound better, and do more than the 11R.
It is a fine practice, writing tool but I've not really ever found that the quality was remotely close to the many other products there are, even software.

I mean the Expansion pack came out in what 2011. Its like Line 6 in 2000 now. Well maybe not that bad.

Helix, Neural DSP, Kemper, AXE FX all do more and sound 100 times better. They even have lighter versions as well sans the Kemper.

So if you still want to use the 11R, get that manual out and learn to edit on the unit.
It still works. Just plug the output into your sound card and use it.
Old 04-23-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Hi Darryl,
Thank you for your kind remark.
The post was directed to the people of AVID that I hope will work out a driver for the 11R on Monterey. Shouldn't be that hard for them.
And I posted the crash information so they can find why every program in the world work with Monterey but the AVID stuff.
As a long term pro user of Digidesign and then AVID (nomen omen) I feel so bad when such a powerful hardware like 11R is artificially killed. Just for the older 48bit chips inside.
SO I am posting that staff everywhere since the support site is impossible to use.
You keep saying "on Monterey" the real issue here is not Monterey it is total lack of driver support for Apple Silicon /M1. I don't know how many times I need to keep saying that.

You are likely wasting your time. This product is end of life in 2024. It looks very effectively end of life now with poor driver updates, etc. But more importantly nothing here is surprising, the drivers will just not work on M1 silicon. It does not need a crash log to know that, and the crash log really would not help anybody doing a driver port to M1.

The stand alone editor was abandonware, no updates, poor compatibility and best help seems to be others users (and occasionally jeffro) here helping folks out on how to hack installs on later operating systems. You should read up on those threads.

If you want to try to get the editor working, that does not require the audio driver, I have no idea if you can get it working on the latest OS on M1 or not. It might or might not work with a class compliant MIDI connection to the Eleven Rack. Read up and try if you want. Get stuck please create another thread and maybe folks here can help you. But you are largely on your own on the M1 doing experimental surgery, not FDA approved.

To me the editor is not needed to make good use of the Eleven Rack, I wrote my own utility to save/load rigs, but don't even use that. I have three of them as outboard devices over S/PDIF to MADI, and a Fractal FM3 (and will buy a rack some day). No Eleven Rack driver needed, no Editor used. If you are relying on the Eleven Rack as an USB interface... the writing really has been in the wall for quite some time.

There are no 48bit chips inside an Eleven Rack, it uses floating point DSP similar to HDX. Avid finally woke up and abandoned the low end consumer hardware market years ago, unfortunately the Eleven Rack may have been collateral damage in that. Avid seemed to give up after the firmware v2 update and not keep investing in ongoing development of the product, even when there was apparently excess DSP power on board that could have supported new features to make it more competitive with Fractal and other products... and the Eleven Rack was poorly marketed as a bundle with Pro Tools, quickly being positioned as low price/low value. The core team behind the Eleven Rack left/were pushed out of Avid some time after the v2 update. I'd say largely a victim of Avid's then very poor management and serious financial struggles and Fractal and Kemper dominating the high-end market giving little space to upsell improved products into.

Edit: I am not trying to sound like a jerk here, I think the Eleven Rack was/is (still is a bargain at a used price) an amazing box. I am unhappy with what happened to it, wish Avid had not let it slide away then kill it/the team. But I want you to understand the situation with the editor and driver support on M1 and not waste your time on stuff that won't work (and may never work).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-23-2022 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-24-2022, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I bought a new car with 5x114 bolt pattern 17" steel wheels. I want to use the mag wheels from my previous car, which are 4x100 15", but they don't fit. I sent the specs of the old wheels to the manufacturer as it shouldn't be hard for them to fit the tires and the wheels on the new car. After all, wheels are wheels and tires are tires.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
Helix, Neural DSP, Kemper, AXE FX all do more and sound 100 times better. They even have lighter versions as well sans the Kemper.
FWIW - I've used ALL of those and I find the 11R (and the plugin, to be fair) has some of the best Marshall emulations to date, on any platform. Obviously ymmv.

I miss using the 11R as my guitar-focused writing/recording hub but I've moved on.

Life is like an Analogy.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnSTL View Post
FWIW - I've used ALL of those and I find the 11R (and the plugin, to be fair) has some of the best Marshall emulations to date, on any platform. Obviously ymmv.

I miss using the 11R as my guitar-focused writing/recording hub but I've moved on.
Hmm, I've found the opposite. Though, maybe you are using 3rd party IR's instead of the ones included as that might make the whole difference.

Not saying the 11R is bad, but I've found the others I mentioned much closer in behavior but it could also be from the IR's I was using.

The sound is in the speaker after all.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:15 PM

Eleven Rack low gain old Marshall works well for me. And Fractal sure is impressive (I'll be adding more Fractal gear) but I can dial in the Eleven Rack much easier for that low gains stuff. Maybe my lack of experience with Fractal. High gain, yea Fractal seems much better for folks who like that (not me). Live performance/flexibility of course Fractal wins... sad that features like split on-stage cabs/PA feed that Chris Townsend said could have been implemented in the current hardware. Extending the product line would have been obvious... to me, better live features, dual amp support, loadable IRs (sell 'em Avid), maybe dual input (split stereo/mono), ... oh well..

But as ~$200 in the used market they are bargains as stand alone boxes, if it works for you as an interface for now, hey bonus.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-25-2022 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Eleven Rack low gain old Marshall works well for me. And Fractal sure is impressive (I'll be adding more Fractal gear) but I can dial in the Eleven Rack much easier for that low gains stuff. Maybe my lack of experience with Fractal. High gain, yea Fractal seems much better for folks who like that (not me). Live performance/flexibility of course Fractal wins... sad that features like split on-stage cabs/PA feed that Chris Townsend said could have been implemented in the current hardware. Extending the product line would have been obvious... to me, better live features, dual amp support, loadable IRs (sell 'em Avid), maybe dual input (split stereo/mono), ... oh well..

But as ~$200 in the used market they are bargains as stand alone boxes, if it works for you as an interface for now, hey bonus.
Fractal can be a little daunting to begin with, Quad Cortex seems a bit easier.

11R on the front is definitely easier in just dialing in because of the knob access.

I still think the IR's make all the difference in dialing in low or high gain tones. The UA is even better if you have your own heads.

The 3rd Party IR's from everywhere really make a major difference.

AXE FX pretty much covers all live aspects. Quad Cortex as well. You should try 3rd party IR's with 11R.
Old 06-02-2022, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack with Big Sur 11.5.1 - Monterey on intel Mac working

Hi All,

So I litreally just got one of these Eleven Racks yesterday for a great price and I am a MacOS / Logic Pro / GarageBand user so wasn't 100% sure if I could get it all to work but after the following procedure I have it working to my satisfaction including recording both dry and wet channels and being able to re-amp from logic back to through Eleven Rack (R11).

First of all, my setup is:
MacBook 2019 intel i9/32Gb/Radeon-Pro-Vega-20-4Gb
DAW: Logic Pro 10.7.4
R11: version: 2.0.1 / build: 0.1.5.7
Output: Line 6 Amplifi 150 / Headphones / External AMP + speakers
Input: Ibanez S series guitar

Recommended Installation order: (I did try installing the R11 drivers first but it said it needed the iloc software)

1. iLok latest software from www.iloc.com

2. Drivers for Eleven Rack for MacOS (these say they are for Big Sur but I am using Monterey)

3. Reboot MacOS

4. Tested it with GarageBand as a basic interface and it seemed to work

5. Installed the Eleven Rack Editor (you need to right hand click and then left hand click open as MacOS cannot verify the developer.

6. Go into MacOS->System->Audio Midi Setup and you should be able to see "Avid Eleven Rack" device and see all of the 8x6 channels, take notice of what these are describedm, because it is not as clear in Logic its just channel numbers.

Logic Pro

Create a new project and select type as Audio Track

Ch 1. is the dry guitar signal, Ch 2. Mic Input, Ch 3 is the mono Amp out (with all the effects) and Ch 3 + 4 is the stereo output of the Amp

Create 2 tracks, first using Ch 1. as your dy signal, 2nd track is your stereo output of the R11

Logic Pro - RE-AMPING to AVID Eleven Rack in MacOS Monterey

After you use input 1 or 2 to record your dry guitar, bass or mic input

Using either Eleven Rack Editor or the physical interface of R11 select the input for R11 to be "Re-Amp" and set the output channel of the dry signal to Ch 3 + 4 input of R11 inside Logic.
Use an aux track to record your preset change to a new audio track.

Thats it. Theres a video here of it working, sending a (not really dry guitar track to 3/4 channel input on R11 and R11 set as Re-Amp and then pushed out the Line 6 Amp with no effects/amping added)

AVID Eleven Rack R11 with Logic Pro on MacOS Monterey Demo
Old 06-02-2022, 11:28 PM

Quote:
You keep saying "on Monterey" the real issue here is not Monterey it is total lack of driver support for Apple Silicon /M1. I don't know how many times I need to keep saying that.

You are likely wasting your time. This product is end of life in 2024. It looks very effectively end of life now with poor driver updates, etc. But more importantly nothing here is surprising, the drivers will just not work on M1 silicon. It does not need a crash log to know that, and the crash log really would not help anybody doing a driver port to M1.
I would tend to agree with Darryl here, although I managed to get my stuff working on my 2019 Macbook, it is an INTEL.. Silicon is a completely different beast I would hazzard that as Darryl says you will not have much luck getting it to register.
Old 11-13-2022, 06:56 PM

I read the crash report. It points to a problem within his house wiring being incompatible with the solar panels on his school bus.

Quote:
Spamming a thread about the Eleven Rack Audio drivers with all this crap about the Editor is a great way to make friends and influence people, when you could have started your own thread, or maybe posted onto threads about the Editor.

But even worse you post all this crash report here along with a complaint about it not working as an Audio interface… and have not even bothered to read this thread… an Eleven Rack will *not* work as an audio interface on an Apple silicon Mac, how can it? Avid has not (and likely never will) released a Apple silicon driver for it. All already explained above.

The Editor was a one shot throw away release and is abandonware, all discussed in other threads you can find, along with any advice from other users about what they have been able to get running in the past (on Intel Macs). I doubt you will get anybody from Avid likely to look at anything related to the Editor.