Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-15-2009, 09:59 PM

Default Reason Unknown Error, C++ Error, Plug-ins Inactive

Hey everybody,

Lately my system is running into a bunch of problems. It just went unstable all of a sudden, sessions that have typically run perfectly are no longer doing so.

First of all, sessions that I have Reason rewired into, will load. But when I go to load the proper file into Reason that corresponds with the session, the files start loading, and right before it finishes I get "Unknown Exception," and it just stops. This must be a Pro Tools specific problem, because when Pro Tools is closed I can load up these files perfectly.

Secondly, on occasion I'm getting C++ errors, and Pro Tools just shuts down.

And finally, almost every session is coming up with an error saying a plug-in has been made inactive due to lack of system resources. It's a different plug-in every time, very random. Sometimes not even a plug-in I'm using in the session.

My system is a Quad Core q9550 2.83ghz, 4 gigs of RAM. P5q Deluxe motherboard. 1.5tb seagate audio drive. 250gig system drive. Windows XP sp3.

Running Pro Tools 8.

Any advice on how to fix these issues? This is kinda killing me right now.

Paul
Old 05-17-2009, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Reason Unknown Error, C++ Error, Plug-ins Inactive

Do you have more than one instance of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable installed? If so uninstall, because this can cause instability.
This helped me with one of my errors...........
Old 05-17-2009, 03:42 PM

Not sure. How would I even find out?
Old 05-17-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Cantor View Post
Not sure. How would I even find out?
Control Panel > Add Or Remove Programs > and look at the installed programs, if there are 2 Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable uninstall the one that looks oldest, by showing information about it and see the version number.

If this is the case, remember that PT needs this program and will not operate without it, so i can´t really assure u which one to uninstall.
I just tried the oldest one and it worked.
Worst case scenario is that you have to reinstall PT which is not the end of the world, but maybe 10-15 minutes of your time.

Hope this is the one!
Old 05-17-2009, 07:44 PM

Ok, checked... only one installed. Hmm. I just uninstalled then re-installed pro tools. Everything's solid, but I haven't re-installed Waves yet. I think that's what is causing the problem

Update: After re-install, system's not solid at all. Thought it was Waves causing the instability, but without Waves installed I am still getting a bunch of hardware buffer errors, running out memory, so on and so forth. I was using Battery in a session, and considering its incompatibility, I thought that was causing these buffer errors. So I uninstalled Battery. But the buffer errors continued, this time on sessions that ordinarily run flawlessly. I mean, my system is a horse, up until 3 days ago I'd never even seen it hiccup.

So I tried to get a Davec test going, loaded up the last one I did (from back in January, when I upgraded to 8). The Davec test completely drained my system. I probably should have started a fresh one. But after seeing how bad it handled cracking open that older test– which again, it usually does flawlessly– I uninstalled pretty much everything on the computer. Pro Tools and the like. Now I'm moving important stuff over to another drive, and I'm going to do a clean install of XP in the AM and just start all over.

This is a real pain.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:49 PM

I have noticed similar problems, just using pro tools for a long time and then suddenly all these errors show up from nowhere. So deleting prefs and other things help sometimes but not all the time. It´s as if PT just starts to go bad and when it does it´s like a mystery to me.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:52 AM

Thumbs up Re: Reason Unknown Error, C++ Error, Plug-ins Inactive

Hey guys did I have run into this issue as well! I have done a fresh install and all of that and still I have a few sessions that will not load whatsoever! As soon as I try to open them, I get the C++ errors. I haven't seen the "Low resources" message in a while, but that blasted C++ garbage keeps me from going back and working on some of my favorite tracks! I will look and see if the C++ Microsoft stuff has more than one in Add/Remove Programs tonight. Please post your results and let me know what happens.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:18 AM

Check if you have the up-to-date versions of your plugins.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:46 AM

Yep. They are all up to date.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:54 AM

Could you list them using the Tech support utility please?

Also, what other, if any, audio software do you have installed?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12