Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2022, 07:04 AM

Default Re: Source-Connect cross-platform compatibility???

I agree with Mike, Source Elements is very helpful with the set up. Anyone using it should be set up properly.

I think Source Stream has done them a disservice. And I didn't realize it wasn't cross-platform.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh-H View Post
... If I understand your concern it's asking Mac users to change their routers because when they connect with Mac studios it's "all fine"...
Yes!

One of SC founders personally called me. He advised that I tell the ad agency (my client in this case) that we MUST schedule a test the day before the session. If test fails, that user would have a day to contact SC tech support to fix their ports. He also said that many studios do not accept a SC session until the user sends them a screenshot showing ports forwarded. This is the only "solution" that SC tech support and founder can offer up at this time. Perfect world = a great solution. Real world: 2 glaring issues from the ad agency and VO talent (i.e. non-technical) perspective.

1. So this happened: The ad agency studio manager booked the VO talent for a session, but talent was not available for pre-test the day before. Studio manager had to book a different studio. The agency thinks my studio is broken since other studios do not require a pre-test. I LOST A GIG YESTERDAY BECAUSE OF THIS MESS. I'm not happy with SC...
2. SC is putting me (& the ad agency) in an extremely awkward position. They want me to ask individual SC users to fix their ports. But their "rig already works and they've never had any issue". (Of course they are not aware of this MAC-only source-stream issue). In their mind, it works so why should they "fix" it? Indeed, we should not have to ask them to "fix it" either.

The founder of SC refused to admit that MAC-only Source-Stream BREAKS cross-platform compatibility and is a BUG rather than a feature. He acquiesced that SC version 4.0 will hopefully make Source-Stream cross-platform. He would NOT say when 4.0 will be ready. A better solution in my opinion is to REQUIRE all users to have their ports setup properly. If their ports change, it should throw an error msg rather than allow them to use the source-stream workaround.

Hugh-H, thanks for ALL of your comments!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume

Last edited by EGS; 06-15-2022 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
...I think Source Stream has done them a disservice..
yep
Click for resume
Old 06-15-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS View Post
If you do your port forwarding, it's a faster connection than Source Stream.

I did my own...
My ports are forwarded. Not the issue. See my posts above for the issue.
Click for resume
Old 06-15-2022, 06:59 PM

This is really unfortunate. I was glad when Source Elements added source stream, but easily over 50% of talent don't forward their ports now that they added it as a default configuration.

We've had good luck since instituting mandatory connection tests with talent 24 hours in advance, if we haven't connected with them in the last 60 days.

We try to help talent forward ports if there are issues during these tests. All our engineers are on macs, so we can fall back to source stream, but I try to get talent to port forward anyway, because I have had way more issues and dropouts with source stream than if a talent is port forwarded. Most of the talent are pretty receptive to it, either with us helping them directly, reaching out to source elements, or using a self guided tutorial that we can link them to. (depending on their level of comfort)

I can send out a message to Robert/Rebekah chiming in with my concerns if you think it would be helpful. They've both been generally very communicative and helpful in the past when i've spoken with them.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
They want me to ask individual SC users to fix their ports.
IMO this should be up to the talent agent to communicate to their talent...it's not the audio engineer's responsibility. If the agent wants their talent to perform professionally, port forwarding should be required by the agent in advance whether on a Mac or Windows. If they can't then the talent books a professional studio AT THEIR EXPENSE...or they don't get the work. Which means the agent doesn't get the work.

I'm now thinking back to recent sessions where SC audio started fluttering or dropping out after about 15 minutes and would have to disconnect and reconnect every time to fix it. I'm sure it was a port forwarding issue.