Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 05-10-2021, 03:11 AM

Default Earplay recording "like in Sequoia"?

Dear community,

I have an upcoming project that is mainly spoken word and atmo, foley, music. Basically a radio play. I do such things at broadcast and they have Sequoia available. The more I worked with Sequoia, I found it to be a powerful workstation, absolutely precise. I love the object-based workflow, too. But Sequoia is not an option, since I am on mac in my studio and learnt PT quite well by now.

In PT - which I love and use in our studio - dialogue editing and building projects like radio plays always feels a bit clumsy.

This is why I want to ask for tips on recording and editing. Two aspects here:

1) recording with markers
If I read along the script in a dialogue recording and set markers where the vocalist re-starts, coughs, squeaks etc... in Sequoia I can:

- jump to markers with one tab (in PT = press , #number , OR click on the marker... both not too handy, since I don't always know the number of the marker)

- delete a selection between markers and move future markers automatically (in PT shuffle mode = click in the marker timeline to "pull back" markers after deleting. If you forget to do that, it gets a mess).

> any tips on workflow here? Feels like I have to do extra clicks in PT all the time
> is there really no way to tab to markers without having the cursor set in the marker time line?

2) Editing: building large projects with connected clips
I found one feature so great in Sequoia that I miss in PT. It is "linking all objects (clips) across all tracks". If I grab a clip, it will auto-select all following clips across all tracks which is so handy in quickly re-arranging large earplay-like projects. In PT, the only way I found to do this is grouping (e.g. ALL) and using shift + alt + ENTER, which is select all following. You have to make this selection all the time if you make new edits.. there is not "mode" that would allow working as explained in Sequoia.

Maybe you've got some tips - I'm sure I miss some things :- )
Old 05-10-2021, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Earplay recording "like in Sequoia"?

It might not be what you want to hear. What you are asking is not easy to do and requires those clicks that you describe.

What you could do is program your macros and put them on an Ipad.

Soundflow is what you might want to check.

https://soundflow.org/

It's not easy to program, but it can do most that any editor wants. If you can program what you need, you have to check. Tab to markers should be easy.

- delete a selection between markers and move future markers automatically:

wouldn't that just work with "cut time"?
Old 05-28-2021, 10:06 AM

Thank you very much Daniel,

and I hope this still reaches you. I have been so busy that I forgot to check on this thread.

Your "cut time" idea is good, though it is great in doing what I asked for. But not really suitable for quick dialogue cleanups where I just want the markers to snap with the selection that I am deleting (shuffle mode). I just can't seem to find a way to "auto select" the marker timeline when cleaning up dialogue. after every selection made in a track I have to manually shift click the marker timeline to do that.

Its simply tedious and I feel like there MUST be another way.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:42 PM

If I understand you correct, then there is a way with the Cut time. You need to use soundflow then.

If I undersand right, you have a selection that you want to delete. You do that in shuffle mode, so everything on the right side will come to the left. Everything, but not the marker - which is super stupid in protools.

Now the Cut time funktion does the same. With soundflow you can programm it, so that it is one single click. Make the selection, press the custom shortcut (that triggers everything needed to open the cut-time dialog, select everything you need there and press ok. It is so fast you don't even see it.

I am not saying this is better, it still is only a workaround and I personally don't feel happy that I pay for ProTools and to really make it good and fast I also have to pay for soundflow, and there I even have to programm, but it is a way.

The nicest thing was, if ProTools would make an option in the pref. where the marker timeline would also be selected if Edit-and Timeline are linked.

Hope that the Workaround with soundflow might be helpful..

Cheers,
Daneil
Old 05-28-2021, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the soundflow explanation - It does sound interesting. I understand you need at least the "cloud pro" subscription service to make macros work? "cloud Indie" service only states 500+ commands for PT, which might not include strings of commands..?

I am completely with you. Strange, that more flexible marker behaviour has not been requested more often and implemented by avid.
Old 05-29-2021, 12:08 AM

I think it has been requested - but it is as with the palylists (with the palylists not even with "Cut Time" the other playlists get's moved (except if you "open" them all).

Avid says it is because ProTools is used in the film business so much. So they normally would not want other playlists to move and they normally also don't want the markers to be moved. But both must be an option. I am totally with you for the markers.

Yes, you need to have the professional Soundflow version. But it might be worth it, because such things as what you need, and there are way more cool makros, that you could programm, are well worth it.

You also can safe different sets of preferences!
And there are many many Marker commands (i.e. Select to next marker, select to previous marker. And search markers. And Soundflow has "temp markers". I use this for temporary edit markers, that I don't want to have in my marker list. Think of temp markers as a 2nd list of markers. They are not shown in ProTools, but in a list in Soundflow.

Cheers, Daniel