Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2012, 01:04 PM

Default Pro Tools 10 can't find my Mbox 3 interface!

Has anyone else had this problem? I just upgraded from Pro Tools 9 to 10 on a Macbook air. The only recording options the program gives me are the built in microphones, they're not that good sounding... The interface is shown in my computer's sound preferences.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:34 PM

Make sure u have the latest drivers and firmware update. I found that installing the drivers first made for a better marriage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 09-15-2012, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 can't find my Mbox 3 interface!

Open up Apple's Audio MIDI setup, make sure you've got your ProTools Aggregate IO set as your main input and output for sound on the Audio side. Make sure in ProTools that your hardware set-up reflects this. I think you also have to make sure that the Mbox appears on the MIDI side of things active in your current configuration. I don't know if this is what you meant by your "computer's sound preferences".

Check that your connection is working on the Mbox too. If the blue light is blinking it's not sync'd with your system properly, in which case shut the whole computer down and start it up again with the Mbox plugged in. I mean that's akin to "make sure the power is on", but you have four posts. What do I know about what you know?

This is the extent of my expertise on the subject. For what it's worth my upgrade went smoothly, but I'm still on 10.6.8. Maybe a 10.8 bug? No idea.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 can't find my Mbox 3 interface!

Thanks for this answer. I was having the same issue and it was driving me crazy.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakay View Post
Open up Apple's Audio MIDI setup, make sure you've got your ProTools Aggregate IO set as your main input and output for sound on the Audio side. Make sure in ProTools that your hardware set-up reflects this. I think you also have to make sure that the Mbox appears on the MIDI side of things active in your current configuration. I don't know if this is what you meant by your "computer's sound preferences"..
This mostly seems to be about OS X systems audio, which is likely not what the person was asking about.

You should not be using an aggregate IO device as the playback engine in Pro Tools. And if somebody cannot get the direct device to work, trying to aggregate it is not the solution. Select the Mbox as the Playvack engine in Pro Tools, if it is not showing up there you have another problem to solve. and if anything you want to make sure the Mbox is *Not* in any aggregate IO device (that might then be in use by something else).

To the original poster: Look up at the "Help Us Help You--Read this before posting" link and see the level of information folks here need to be able to offer useful help. Post info here on the exact Mac Model, OS X Version, Pro Tools Version, Mbox driver version, Mbox model (it is the standard Mbox 3 or the Mini?). Try the standard troubleshooting steps there. I would especially..remove any unneeded USB peripherals.Install the latest Mbox 3 drivers, remove the Mbox from all aggregate IO devices, power cycle the Mac. Then Start up Pro Tools while holding down the 'N' key and select the Mbox interface as the playback engine when asked. If that does not work try a different USB cable. And post a really detailed description here of everything you have and exactly EpWhat debug steps you have tried.

Darryl