How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2010, 12:40 AM

Default PT 9 with no audio interface question

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of getting a Mac Pro to run PT9 without an audio interface, so I'm wondering what I'll need to get the audio out of the mac pro and into my Genelecs 1031s... ???? How about sound quality? Should I expect a not so good audio quality output straight from the Mac Pro?

At the moment I will be just working to video, mainly doing sound and music editing, some cleaning up of audio tracks and maybe some light rough mixing.

I'll probably get an audio interface down the line so I can also record some stuff... but for now I'll rather put all the money towards the Mac Pro and PT9 + Production Toolkit.

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:52 AM

Default Re: PT 9 with no audio interface question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibara View Post
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of getting a Mac Pro to run PT9 without an audio interface, so I'm wondering what I'll need to get the audio out of the mac pro and into my Genelecs 1031s... ???? How about sound quality? Should I expect a not so good audio quality output straight from the Mac Pro?

At the moment I will be just working to video, mainly doing sound and music editing, some cleaning up of audio tracks and maybe some light rough mixing.

I'll probably get an audio interface down the line so I can also record some stuff... but for now I'll rather put all the money towards the Mac Pro and PT9 + Production Toolkit.

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks!
Hi,

I would budget for at least a reasonable 2 channel interface for now! the built-in audio is ok for most stuff, editing etc, but not ideal for serious audio decision making.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:53 AM

You should at least have a decent DAC converter between the optical digital outputs of your Mac Pro and the analog inputs of your Genelecs. For example, an Apogee Mini-DAC

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/mini-dac.php

Naturally your system would be compromised with the internal clock of MacPro but this would still be miles ahead of using the built-in analog line output of a computer.

A small interface could be better solution, overall, but your money is never wasted on Apogee so that's why this is what I bring up.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:14 AM

You could even get something as cheap as an M-Audio Fast Track ($119). It would still be way better quality than coming out of the Mac Pro direct.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FastTrkUSB2/
Old 12-30-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
You could even get something as cheap as an M-Audio Fast Track ($119). It would still be way better quality than coming out of the Mac Pro direct.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FastTrkUSB2/
What are the specs of the Mac Pro Intel HD audio?

What exactly makes it worse than a $120 interface?
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The Mini DAC looks interesting, but a bit pricey I'm afraid. If my only option is to get a small audio interface, I may end up some type of MBox, maybe a used one from the previous generation.

I'll do some more research... if you guys have any other suggestions I'm all ears. :)
Old 12-30-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post
What exactly makes it worse than a $120 interface?
A stereo 1/8" jack vs two individual balanced outputs.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515