Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2010, 01:44 AM

Default Do VST and Plugins make use of the HD Native card?

I was curious to what exactly the HD Native system does. Does it take the processing of regular plugins and virtual synths off the CPU the same way TDM plugs make use of the HD cards? Can it access more memory your computer has to offer? If you do more composing then mixing, in other words more Virtual Synths vs Plugins which system would you benefit more from?
Old 12-12-2010, 06:20 AM

Default Re: Do VST and Plugins make use of the HD Native card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie457 View Post
Does it take the processing of regular plugins and virtual synths off the CPU the same way TDM plugs make use of the HD cards?
No. It processes them "native" (on your computer's CPU).
Quote:
Can it access more memory your computer has to offer?
Sorry?
Quote:
If you do more composing then mixing, in other words more Virtual Synths vs Plugins which system would you benefit more from?
Virtual Instruments always run as RTAS plug ins and aren't processed on the cards of PT HD. So there shouldn't be a big difference.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Do VST and Plugins make use of the HD Native card?

The HD Native card does not do any processing. It's mainly as a hookup for the interfaces, though with the stability of PCI.

Using VI's with this would be the same as using them on any other native system.

The advantages are being able to use the Avid HD interfaces (with their very good sound quality), having more I/O (up to 64), and being able to use some HD options like Satellite Link, Video Satellite, and Sync HD.

The other thing is that it comes with HD software which is equivalent to PT9 standard with Complete Toolkit 2. In other words, if someone was going to buy PT9 standard, Complete Toolkit, and a high end interface, it would put them in the ballpark of getting the HD Native system, which would have the advantage of being an integrated solution by one manufacturer.