Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 01-03-2022, 03:08 PM

Default 003r clicking sound and unwanted signal on input 1

Hello

My DIGI003 rack seems to have an issue.

On Input 1, when I engange record enable / monitor input (in the software) I hear a clicking sound and a very low inaudible signal comes through. I can see this signal in pro tools / logic / ableton in the mixer: constant signal at minus 6db. I can modulate the signal with an EQ plugin.

When I enable / disable HPF on the front of the 003, I hear the same clicking sound. The HPF cuts the signal drastically.

External sound from hardware sampler comes through the DI input. Albeit a bit lower in volume than channel 2, 3 and 4.

Disconnecting / connecting a jack doesnt change this behavior.

I also hear the same clicking sound when I press play in Logic 9 when the input monitor is ON.

What could be the problem? By the looks of it, it appears to be a digital error.

Thank you.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:33 PM

Default Re: 003r clicking sound and unwanted signal on input 1

Welcome to DUC.

Well your 003 is broken. The clicking is electrical relays. The 003 is not worth paying somebody to repair, even if you could find somebody who wanted to to that. Unless you are an electronics hobbyist, and if so I'd expect you would already be in there doing that.

So either live without that input if the others are working OK, or buy another used 003, or buy a more modern interface. If you describe what you need, connectivity options to the computer etc. folks here can make suggestions.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:38 PM

Hi. Welcome to the forum.
Sounds very much like it's on its last legs.
So, the noise is there whether or not anything is plugged in?
Does changing the input on the front make any difference?
Can you describe the clicking in more detail?
Old 01-03-2022, 04:00 PM

It clicks on both DI and XLR input. The connected cable does not matter. The clicking is always there.

Clicking noise description:

PLOP

The thing is that the input is still working (converter converts voltage into numbers). And when the input gets activated in the software or when pressing HPF, it clicks once. And then a constant inaudible signal goes into the software (or the software generates it?). This is a digital signal almost for sure, not an "analog buzz" like from a bad cable. I cannot hear the signal (with headphones), I only noticed because the meter in the mixer showed me. I can modulate it with an EQ and then sometimes I can hear it, depending how much I boost it. It sounds like a sinewave gets modulated by another one when I wiggle with the EQ (low freq booster). Sounds like a bassy FM synth, very digital. I should actually sample it, because it's a very cool sound

Attached is a screenshot of the signals frequency:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2022-01-04 at 01.45.53.jpg (42.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by 003user; 01-03-2022 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Welcome to DUC.

Well your 003 is broken. The clicking is electrical relays. The 003 is not worth paying somebody to repair, even if you could find somebody who wanted to to that. Unless you are an electronics hobbyist, and if so I'd expect you would already be in there doing that.

So either live without that input if the others are working OK, or buy another used 003, or buy a more modern interface. If you describe what you need, connectivity options to the computer etc. folks here can make suggestions.

Hi Thanks Darryl.

I'm not a hobbyist but I don't mind fixing problems. I don't know what a relay is exactly but it looks like a tiny thing you pull out and replace by another one.

I don't need a modern interface as I am still using OSX 10.6.8. This is the most reliable operating system and it's been with me since release. I have a newer Mac system but I don't really like it.

So options are another 003, Fireface 800 / 400 or Multiface 2. I don't see me using anything else. I also have an mBox 2 Pro which works great, and so I can still use PT8.

Ideally I fix the relay. If it's the relay which is causing the problem
Old 01-04-2022, 09:37 AM

There is probably some kind of IC chip for each preamp and #1 is probably gone bad. I would also not bother spending money on repairs. If you can live without 1 channel, then just tape over #1 and move on. If you are not using the digital inputs, you could put them into service for more inputs. On a budget, the ART Digital MPA on the SPDIF input would be a solid performer(easily equal or better than the 003 preamps). Still in budget land, the Behringer ADA8200 on the lightpipe input is also as good or better than the 003(both these options would be $300 or less on the used market). Both of those units could still be useful with many newer interfaces(and someday soon, you may NEED to upgrade the interface anyway, even if not right now) I am selling a Presonus Studio 1810c right now as I stepped up to HDN. PM me if you are interested

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-04-2022, 09:43 AM

Hi, welcome to the community.

There are two easy self help repairs to try.

First one: buy a new firewire cable. It sounds to me that it is a clocking problem, and as it also seems to happen with internal clock (without digital devices connected, try it if you alredy didn't) then most likey culprit is faulty firewire cable.

Second one: open it and reseat the power harness. You will se a Y-shaped multi-wire power connector that has about inch wide plastic ends. Take it out, clean the contacts with industrial alcohol, juggle a little and put it back just like it was. Then try again.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:53 AM

^^^ clocking problems won’t affect just one analog input. So it won’t be the FireWire cable. The power harness might be worth a try,… esp. if it feeds each analog input circuit separately-but does it-would be a bit surprising. Still may be worth opening up for a look/try. Sometimes problems will be obvious with hot or heat damaged components, etc.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:56 AM

If the internal clock is "broken" it may affect different channels differently, but should have click in sync with all channels. Trying a new FW cable is still the easiest troubleshooting, I myself would try that before opening the box.

But sure, 00x family is infamous of the power harness issue, so if the cable change does not help that is a pretty good guess if you ask me.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:19 PM

The dreaded power harness issue was really for the 002. The 003 line was not known for that issue. I owned 2 003 mixers and 4 003 rack units and none ever had a similar issue(but both my 002 mixer and 002 rack did). Still, the OP has nothing to lose by reseating the harness connections(do each connection at least 5-6 times so if there is oxidation, doing the reseat several times has the best chance of scraping thru any buildup). I'm not sure if each channel has relays, but they might(for switching between mic/line or HPF in/out), so if you find relays(and they are indeed socketed), swap between 2 channels to see if the problem moves. That would indicate a bad relay and replacements are probably available from Mouser or Digikey, or maybe an Avid-approved service location like allproelectronics.com(out of Nashville).

Re moving to a new(er) interface, consider a few things; newer stuff is likely to sound better, firewire is rapidly going the way of floppy drives and the 003 could find itself a non-runner with some upcoming PT release

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave