Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2009, 05:37 PM

Default stolen chips from ilok. what do I do?

I started a mix today, I have not used my rig in a long time. I set everything up and inserted my ilok and when I launched a session to try out my rig before the client arrived, it asked me to insert the card in the ilok. when i checked it, lo and behold, it was not there.
Am I done for? how can I get my authorizations back? I have $7,000 worth of plugins that I cannot use
Never figured this would happen to me.
I could really use some advice as I am beside myself with grief and out of the only work I've had in ages
thanks in advance for any adice one may be able to give
rojo
Old 05-03-2009, 05:45 PM

Default Re: stolen chips from ilok. what do I do?

Wait, the card slot on the iLok is just for authorizing NEW plugins, the iLok doesn't hold the authorizations on a card inserted into the iLok, but internally on the iLok itself.

Have you gone to iLok.com, and see what's on the iLok? If you have an account, it will show you. More than likely, ProTools just isn't SEEING the iLok, are you sure you have the latest and proper iLok drivers on your system?

But not sure what 'card' you might have had in the iLok, but it shouldn't have made any difference.

Be careful when you set up an account at iLok if you don't have one already, if that iLok isn't linked to your account already, I think it will give you the option of erasing it and linking it, which obviously you don't want to do.

Maybe I'm missing something. Unfortunately, unless you can convince the plugin makers of the licenses you had to give you new licenses, you may be out of luck. If your iLok was covered under 'Zero Down Time' iLok would in theory be able to provide you with temporary licenses so you could work.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:35 PM

Check that the green light is on.. sometimes my new 8 core doesn't see one of my 2 iloks.. i just pull them & re-insert and re-launch PT at it's fine....

Just a possibility...

8 core PT8 Leopard
Cheers Tom
Old 05-03-2009, 08:04 PM

there were cards in there and now theyre not there
or has it been so long (1 1/2 years) since i've worked
nah PT asked me to put the card in as it was missing, \\
there's a red light on my ultra marine iLoks, one has an HD sticker on it
I just reported it to pace and they will cancel them if i try to syncronize
if no one stole them, why aren't they ther when they were there?
now I'm confused
Old 05-03-2009, 10:22 PM

As someone else stated above, the card slot on the ilok is really not used anymore and only was EVER used momentarily to transfer a license to the ilok itself. It's been at least 4 years since I've seen a plug-in that still used the "license card" method. Virtually all of them have (for years) just transferred the license to your ilok account as part of the registration.

Even with all of that, anytime you try to launch a plug-in that isn't being properly authorized (ilok isn't plugged in, wrong version is installed, USB port has gone bad, demo had expired), it will give you the "insert license card" option. Perhaps you can list your Pro Tools and OS versions along with the specific plug-ins and the version you have installed?
Old 05-03-2009, 11:32 PM

Are you sure about the red light on he ilok,it should be green or no light at all if the ilok has a mailfunction or it doesn't get enough power from the USB Port
Old 05-04-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix109 View Post

Are you sure about the red light on he ilok,it should be green or no light at all if the ilok has a mailfunction or it doesn't get enough power from the USB Port
good suggestion ...try pluggin the ilok into the computer port USB I/O

not the keyboard or monitor ports

Old 05-04-2009, 10:45 AM

I dont understand how your ilok could hold several cards.
It has one card holder. And after auth. the license is stored on the ilok.

Try downloading and installing the latest pace and ilok drivers to ensure that it works.

But rest assured. If someone has stolen the card sitting in the ilok auth. slot. But left the ilok. You STILL have all you licenses on the ilok itself.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:23 AM

Like everyone has said, an iLok does NOT use cards to enable plugins to work. They only are used for transfer a license to the iLok itself. iLoks do not hold more than one license card.

Something sounds fishy here...

Thanks,

- Brad

http://www.TheSecretSystemBand.com
http://www.MapleLaneRecording.com
Old 05-05-2009, 02:30 PM

Like everyone in this thread is saying... if your $7000.00 worth of plugins are NOT authorizing when you open pro-Tools... your iLok is malfunctioning, or not connected properly - it "Made you look" and is a "Coincidence" that the License Card you had, is Missing, or stolen.

Even if you "Had that Card" it wouldn't Auth / Load a plugin, rather, on that Plugin's 1st install / run would run the
"Auth sequence" where you'd select the "License card" option, it'd transfer that auth to the iLok account / ilok dongle itself, and not be any use, to the 1 plugin loading again.

You may have a "Blown iLok" and have to begin an RMA process with iLok as others have already suggested on this site.

I've had 4 iLoks die on me in my iLok history... it's never any fun.

Good luck.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App