Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-29-2005, 04:44 PM

Default RTAS or HTDM Altiverb?

I found this info on the Digidesign support faq about HTDM vs RTAS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: In Pro Tools v5.1 and higher I can use RTAS Plug-Ins on a TDM system. Isn't HTDM the same?

A: No. There are certain limitations to using RTAS Plug-Ins on a PT 5.1 TDM system. In particular:

RTAS Plug-Ins can only be instantiated on disk tracks, not on aux tracks or on master faders.
Even on disk tracks, all RTAS Plug-Ins must be inserted before TDM Plug-Ins.
RTAS Plug-Ins do not support sidechain inputs on 5.1 TDM systems.
RTAS Plug-Ins must have symmetric I/O (i.e. 1 in, 2 out is not allowed)
HTDM Plug-Ins do not have any of those limitations.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm running PT|HD2 6.7 on a G5 OS 10.3.8.

Am I right in reading from the FAQ that you cannot use RTAS plugins as an AUX send FX, but only HTDM/TDM?

I can't seem to find any other info to justify buying the HTDM version since it's quite a bit more $$$ than the RTAS version.

Can anyone recommend why I should shell out the extra dough for HTDM?

Cheers,
Jason
Old 06-29-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Re: RTAS or HTDM Altiverb?

Yep that's the only reason, lots of companies like SoundToys, Native Instruments etc just include HTDM for "free" but some of the others have found another way to get some extra $ from the "rich" TDM guys, Altiverb and Waves both have HTDM version of their Reverbs for a substantial price increase. Waves also does not include any HTDM in their native bundles, they do in the TDM bundles. I am not sure what is involved in porting RTAS to HTDM but if Native Instruments just throws it in it can't be too much.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:30 PM

SO -- RTAS or HTDM? Which is better with our modern OS and version 6.9.x of PT?

Is there a reason to use any HTDM now that RTAS works in aux tracks?

What benefit (besides mono-stereo assignments) is there?

Is there a latency hit for htdm? Can someone who knows the differences with today's OS and application make the distinction and an argument one way vs. the other?

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2005, 03:28 AM

RTAS only works for virtual instruments on aux tracks.
I have native Altiverb (v4 & v5) and I’m not to interested in the extra $300 for their HTDM.
If I was now buying, I would consider the TDM TL convolution plug-in.

My use with Altiverb-RTAS in an HD system is usually a stereo or quad audio track that I copy audio into for accent spaces or full track duplicates like snares and set to 100% the altiverbed track. Edit or automate the dubbed audio as you would a send return set up.

I also have the Waves IR 1 v2 which is HTDM and it does drain the system in full mode. As with any HTDM I have, complex large sessions usually equate to printing the HTDM Plug-in effect or just omitting them.
My use of the RTAS (laid out above) usually survives large session (No CPU overloads)

PS. Additional instances = additive issues. A G5 4Gb ram* I would hope resolves some of these limitations.
*comments?

G4 dual 1Ghz 1.5 Gb ram
OS10.4.1 PT’s 6.9.2cs1