Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 03:13 AM

Default Any suggestions for a \"Patchbay\"?

I have quite a few pres, compressors etc., I'd like to hook up to a patchbay. I'm not familiar with the various models, but I know it might be between the XLR, 1/4 inch or TT Bantam.

Any opinions on this subject?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:15 AM

Default Re: Any suggestions for a \"Patchbay\"?

I'd take a bantam PB. You have 96 point on a 1 U rack space instead of 12 XR's. Bantam and jack are also able to ben normalled, half normalled, paralel or open. XLR is always "open".
Old 04-15-2005, 07:05 AM

Hey Dean,

Good to see ya' here!
Personally, I went with a tt bay for size reasons. (space is at a premium here.)

I've been really happy with the Signex Isopatch Pro series. I've been using one of their 96 pt. tt bays for about a year now without any troubles. Most of the gear here at the studio already terminated in 25 pin Dsub connectors (which is what the Signex model I have terminates to), so this was a good fit.
Bittree and ADC also make good patrchbays, but the Bittree stuff is pricey.

See ya',
Rick

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 04-15-2005, 08:16 AM

Hello, first I would like to state that when you decide to put a patch bay in a studio, its all or nothing. What I meen is, once you put your pre and comps on the PB, then your gonna want your tape in/outs there also, while your at it, Might as well do the whole console.

Anyway, the 1/4 in balance PB from Neutric are sweet for the price. The other thing to consider is the cost of the cables. 1 1/2 foot battams are like $15 each or more. Good 1/4 balanced cables will be much less.

So, if you do everything "in the box" and dont use a console, then do you need 96 points?
Neutric has 48 points and can be normaled easily just by flipint the individual slots. Very handy and easy to do. I strongly recomend them.
Neutric bays are also under $100 while any decent TT PB will be $200 and up.

Hope this helps
Old 04-15-2005, 08:51 AM

I think you need at least 96 points.

ProTools in/out w/1 expanded 192 interface = 24 points
Monitor controller, headphone amps, misc, = 8 points
Mic pre's 16 channels = 16 points
Outboard gear in/out = 32 points
DAT machine, cassette, CD players, VCR in/out = 16 points

Total = 96 points

And that's with no synths or console on the patchbay (I run synths into the -10 inputs on the 192).

Good luck,

Jeff D.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:41 AM

i got the Signex Pro (blue frame) from Redco and LOVE IT. instead of wiring up front, you can get it with DSUBs on the back so you just add snakes (or change them) as you need to. with Mogami patch cable and snakes, i couldn't tell the difference between this and straight wire.

http://www.redco.com/tt_patchbays_price.asp

--
lance
Old 04-15-2005, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the information...

Can somone explain points and the difference between them?

I'm working on a Control 24, so there's no need to patch the console, as I only use the faders, and a few other functions.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
i got the Signex Pro (blue frame) from Redco and LOVE IT. instead of wiring up front, you can get it with DSUBs on the back so you just add snakes (or change them) as you need to. with Mogami patch cable and snakes, i couldn't tell the difference between this and straight wire.

--
lance
Lance-

Are you referring to the Signex Isopatch PRO 96 point TT Front/DSUB Rear Patchbay $450.00 ?

Thx
Old 04-15-2005, 02:44 PM

I would suggest getting a 96 point ADC TT with remote punch block. I love mine, I've had no problems at all, and the punch block method is great; extremly fast...no soldering. I would check out Mr. Patchbay (http://home.flash.net/~motodata/patchbays/ttbantam.html) he has amazing prices on bay's and patch cables. The ADC will give you a true wired point to point connection which is the best for crosstalk (it's how most pro studios are done). The Redco and simillar DB-25 terminated boxes use printed circuit boards inside to carry signal from the jack to the DB-25; they do this to cut costs. PCB's will not give you as good crosstalk performance as each signal being carried on a shielded cable as in the ADC. The traces on the boards inside are extremely thin and close together.

Anyway, hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:

--
lance
Lance-

Are you referring to the Signex Isopatch PRO 96 point TT Front/DSUB Rear Patchbay $450.00 ?

Thx
yep. that's the one. talk to Chris at Redco. he hooked me up. buy it as a package and he'll give you a deal.

--
lance