Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2004, 08:16 PM

Default a better editor to integrate with Pro Tools?

I notice the wave editor within Pro Tools has to expand the view (before you can draw on it) so much that you lose your place completely? I'd prefer to draw volumes with the wave just blown up a little.
Anyway, can I integrate a wave editor with PT? Opening a wave part from within PT, and the wave opening in the editor would be ideal.
Know of any editors that will do this within PTLE?

thanks
Old 06-07-2004, 11:57 PM

Default Re: a better editor to integrate with Pro Tools?

You can use the pencil tool to redwaw waveforms at any magnification, however the more expanded the magnification the mroe accurately you can draw.

You can set preferences to follow your timeline insertion, so when you expand/contract magnification you stay at your edit point.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:59 AM

Yes that is helpful, thanks
Old 06-08-2004, 07:29 AM

Quote:
You can use the pencil tool to redwaw waveforms at any magnification
Hmmm, this doesn't seem to be true on my PTLE though? I just tried it again a few times at a low magnification. I thought maybe the changes just weren't visible or audible, but it definately isn't changing the waveform. This means drawing a volume swell or fade by hand are impossible really. Hence my request for an alternative editor.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:34 AM

Quote:
This means drawing a volume swell or fade by hand are impossible really. Hence my request for an alternative editor.
Are you just trying to draw volume and fades?Make sure the track view is set to volume on the track your trying to edit..It's very simple, and can be done at any magnification.Just draw the line with the pencil and the volume automation will follow that line.

You don't need the wave editor to draw automation.You just set the track view for whatever automation it is that you are trying to draw.

Old 06-08-2004, 07:52 AM

If you're talking about using the pencil tool to 'fix' a glitch in the waveform, you have to zoom in to sample level. Otherwise, your pencil won't even activate. Fades and volume rides are a different story. You really should take a look at the manual, it's pretty basic stuff.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:55 AM

Pk are you saying I should take a look at the manual or were you replying to Silas?

Old 06-08-2004, 08:31 AM

Quote:
You can use the pencil tool to redwaw waveforms at any magnification, however the more expanded the magnification the mroe accurately you can draw.
-absolutely incorrect...you must be fairly well zoomed in to redraw a waveform at all. To draw automation (such as fader level automated fade-outs) you can be at any zoom amount.

Quote:
You can set preferences to follow your timeline insertion, so when you expand/contract magnification you stay at your edit point.
-Good tip...the keyboard shortcut is Start Key + N (or just N in command focus mode). This allows you to toggle back and forth the timeline insertion follows playback preference quickly and easily.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Pk are you saying I should take a look at the manual or were you replying to Silas?
bazzle, you should definitely RTFM. when you're done, read it again. then when you're done reading it the second time, go down to the bus station, stand on a shoe shine box and read it aloud to everyone passing by. in fact, just read it aloud even if nobody's there. remember, this is for your benefit, not the bus passengers'.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:00 AM

Quote:
bazzle, you should definitely RTFM. when you're done, read it again. then when you're done reading it the second time, go down to the bus station, stand on a shoe shine box and read it aloud to everyone passing by. in fact, just read it aloud even if nobody's there. remember, this is for your benefit, not the bus passengers'.
And to think I've already sent out your invitation to my annual Buffalo roast on the back 40.I guess I will have to try and intercept the Pony Express rider before he put's the mailbag on the Stagecoach.