Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2021, 10:40 PM

Default AirPods Pro as Playback Engine

I know that HDX user don't care much about the Playback Engine because they never have to change it, but if I use Pro Tools as a modern Desktop DAW, then it has to be flexible with all sorts of Audio Devices. Unfortunately that is where Pro Tools is operating absolutely in the stone age.

I complaint in the past about the limitation that you can select only one Audio Device, instead of a separate audio device for the Input Device and one for the Output Device. Always have to juggle around with the Aggregate Devices. (Forget about the misleading label "Playback" Engine that selects the Input too)

Now to the actual topic, AirPods Pro. I know they are Bluetooth with a nice 200ms latency, but for mixing that doesn't matter. Having the option to work on a mix on the laptop outside with noise cancelation enabled seems like a standard situation. Not so much for Pro Tools.
  • First, the AirPods Pro playback operate in stereo 48k, so any session in 44.1kHz and I'm out of luck
  • Then again, AirPods Pro has two separate Devices for input and output, another problem.
  • Choosing the input and output device, somehow switches the 2 channel output to a 1 channel output, as you can see on the Audio MIDI Setup utility.
  • The only workaround is to create an aggregate device with first the AirPods Pro output and then a different 2-ch input device, not using the 1-ch input device from the AirPods Pro. This way the output device for the AirPods Pro keeps their two channels
  • If I create an Aggregate Device with my SSL2 interface first and then the AirPods Pro, selecting the SSL2 as the "Clock Source" would enable me to run a 44.1k Session and have the Aggregate Device take care of the SRC. This works perfectly fine in Logic Pro. However, not only does it not work in Pro Tools, it crashes and ends up in a Twilight Zone where I cannot re-launch it. I have to restart the computer.

Another two highly annoying bugs/imperfections.
  • Even if you don't use a specific Aggregate Device, if you make changes to its configuration, you have to restart Pro Tools to recognize its changes.
  • If you use an aggregate Device that loses one of its sub-devices (like taking AirPods out of you ear), Pro Tools crashes and ends up in the Twilight Zone again and you have to restart the computer.

Is this confirmed behavior or do I miss something here?
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 11-17-2021, 09:21 PM

Default Re: AirPods Pro as Playback Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich View Post
I know that HDX user don't care much about the Playback Engine because they never have to change it, but if I use Pro Tools as a modern Desktop DAW, then it has to be flexible with all sorts of Audio Devices. Unfortunately that is where Pro Tools is operating absolutely in the stone age.

I complaint in the past about the limitation that you can select only one Audio Device, instead of a separate audio device for the Input Device and one for the Output Device. Always have to juggle around with the Aggregate Devices. (Forget about the misleading label "Playback" Engine that selects the Input too)

Now to the actual topic, AirPods Pro. I know they are Bluetooth with a nice 200ms latency, but for mixing that doesn't matter. Having the option to work on a mix on the laptop outside with noise cancelation enabled seems like a standard situation. Not so much for Pro Tools.
  • First, the AirPods Pro playback operate in stereo 48k, so any session in 44.1kHz and I'm out of luck
  • Then again, AirPods Pro has two separate Devices for input and output, another problem.
  • Choosing the input and output device, somehow switches the 2 channel output to a 1 channel output, as you can see on the Audio MIDI Setup utility.
  • The only workaround is to create an aggregate device with first the AirPods Pro output and then a different 2-ch input device, not using the 1-ch input device from the AirPods Pro. This way the output device for the AirPods Pro keeps their two channels
  • If I create an Aggregate Device with my SSL2 interface first and then the AirPods Pro, selecting the SSL2 as the "Clock Source" would enable me to run a 44.1k Session and have the Aggregate Device take care of the SRC. This works perfectly fine in Logic Pro. However, not only does it not work in Pro Tools, it crashes and ends up in a Twilight Zone where I cannot re-launch it. I have to restart the computer.

Another two highly annoying bugs/imperfections.
  • Even if you don't use a specific Aggregate Device, if you make changes to its configuration, you have to restart Pro Tools to recognize its changes.
  • If you use an aggregate Device that loses one of its sub-devices (like taking AirPods out of you ear), Pro Tools crashes and ends up in the Twilight Zone again and you have to restart the computer.

Is this confirmed behavior or do I miss something here?
I LOVE my AirPods Pro! Incredible experience! That being said, I find Bluetooth not quite ready for prime time. So finicky. And I'm not even talking ProTools. One set of earbuds, one smartphone; good to go. But I have multiple devices and multiple bluetooth earbuds and headphones. Not to mention bluetooth equipped vehicles. I'm getting stressed just typing about the numerous minor quirky little snafus that happen each and every day. I would NEVER expect my AirPods Pro to work with ProTools. I'd WANT them to work, but c'mon man, here's the deal:if you find a way, let me know!!
Old 11-17-2021, 09:31 PM

Check out SonoBus. I use it to stream to my phone and connect the AirPods to my phone.

https://sonobus.net/

I am in no way affiliated with the product.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:04 AM

I agree about Bluetooth being finicky, and find it can be flaky even with just two devices speaking together about one thing. I don't know if it's the technology or the implementation, but after many years it can still be frustrating to work with. I suspect that companies keep pushing its limits and devices struggle to stay connected and communicate smoothly.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:00 PM

I use Loopback as a playback device and monitor via AirPod Pros. there's a decent amount of latency on any BT audio device but for just editing, it's no big deal. Super convenient.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:04 PM

People can do what they want - I mean, you can mix on two yogurt pots connected by string if you want - but Air Pods over BT aren't losseless, and possibly even worse, have loads of DSP running all the time to 'optimise' your listening experience. Personally, I wouldn't trust them for anything at all.

Dominic