Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2011, 09:44 PM

Default Playlists sometimes don't follow groups.

In 10 HD sometimes, actually more often than not, when I switch between playlists in, let's say a drum group, only the track that I am using to select a different playlist will change to the new playlist. The remaining tracks in the group will not switch to the selected other playlist. Anyone else seeing this behavior? Just trying to see if it's a 10 bug or if it's specific to my system.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Playlists sometimes don't follow groups.

Werner,

Hi. I don't use playlists very much, but the other day I created a single duplicate playlist on each of 4 separate pairs of BV's (each pair it's own Mix+Edit group) and one of the pairs refused to switch back and forth properly, but the other 3 worked fine. IOW's all 4 pairs were created and manipulated individually (ie:not as a group of 8 tracks) at the same time and therefore should have behaved the same, but didn't.

Like I say, I don't use playlists that often, so I'm not sure if this is a legacy problem as I seem to remember this being a major topic of discussion when PT8 came out. In fact I suspect you were involved in that discussion(?). I skipped PT9, so I don't know if that version was OK.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Steve Bush
www.music180.com/pros/5887

MacPro 4.1 (Nehalem) 2.26 8 Core, OSX 10.6.8, PT10HD, 14 Gig RAM, 192, Sync I/O, Midi I/O.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:49 AM

Steve, thanks for the info. I skipped 9 as well but, as you say it is apparently a legacy bug, I never actualy had the problem in 8. But man can it screw things up if you're not paying attention!

Anyone else have this problem now?
Old 11-30-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Steve, thanks for the info. I skipped 9 as well but, as you say it is apparently a legacy bug, I never actualy had the problem in 8. But man can it screw things up if you're not paying attention!

Anyone else have this problem now?
Yikes.. I would have hoped they would have this fixed. I documented this on the DUC a couple of years ago, back in PT8. Very frustrating....
Old 12-17-2013, 10:09 PM

I am still having this problem in 10.3.7. I've tried it in several different sessions, and it happens in all of them! Every other group function works fine, even duplicating a playlist. But I just can't switch between them as a group. I have to do each track at a time! Brutal! Please let me know if anyone has found a fix.

Note: I didn't group the tracks until after tracking was done... Meaning, I made each playlist on each track individually when tracking. (my first time doing a full 10 mic drum session.) Please help!
Old 12-18-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm Spinn View Post
Note: I didn't group the tracks until after tracking was done... Meaning, I made each playlist on each track individually when tracking. (my first time doing a full 10 mic drum session.) Please help!
This is the problem. Moving fwd, if you avoid this, you should be fine. Don't have a solution for your problem now though.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:47 AM

Could that be a Mac only problem ?
In Win 7, selecting one audio track of a group and switching playlist does switch also the playlist of other audio tracks within that group,
regardless of grouping the audio tracks prior or after recording.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 12-19-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
This is the problem. Moving fwd, if you avoid this, you should be fine. Don't have a solution for your problem now though.
Thanks for the info Drew. I could, however, swear that I have experienced this behavior on tracks that were grouped prior to recording them as I always create the drum groups in the template before starting the recording of an entire record. I could be wrong on the details though. It could be that the problem has occurred only on the odd session where the groups were only created after the tracks were recorded onto. I will do a test and report back.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm Spinn View Post
I seem to remember this in V7 and maybe V6 as well.
I'm still running V7.4.2 and wonder if I should go to V10..
I'll check this out when I get a minute.
Since I usually either flip single playlist or the entire session by holding the option key and haven't flipped groups in a while I haven't run into it lately but I do seem to remember this happening.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:18 AM

Yes, in PT V7.4, if I record 4 tracks then make 4 new tracks and record those then make a group of them they will not flip playlist for all 4 tracks even when grouped.
However, if I record 4 tracks then group them and make 4 new tracks and record on them while grouped they will flip playlist for all 4.