Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-27-2003, 04:27 PM

Default Scary things happening with my pc

Hi all.

My audio pc has been setup a long time with BIOS settings allright and Windows XP working like a dream. Booted from the XP cdrom when I installed WXP. Smooth booting process, smooth shutting down, progs running fine, a.s.o. Did not do many Windows tweaks, except for removing some spyware perhaps but I can't remember exactly if that was on this install or an installation before.

My setup:

Asus CUSL2/c 815e
PIII 933 MHz Coppermine, 133 MHz
512 Mb SDRAM, 133 MHz
Asus V3800 AGP VGA with 32 Mb SGRAM onboard
Adaptec 2940 U2W SCSI controller
Maxtor Quantum IV 8,4 Gb System drive
2 x Maxtor Quantum V 8,4 Gb Audio drives
Plextor 40x (TS or so) SCSI CDROM
Plextor 8/2/20 CD recorder SCSI
Standard Keyboard
Microsoft Intellimouse
450 Wt Power supply, don't know what brand
Event Layla 24/96
Soundblaster Live 5.1

The Layla is in slot 3, hard set on IRQ 9.
The SCSI card is in slot 2, forgot what IRQ.
Soundbalster in slot x (4?), IRQ ? - don't know by heart but I can tell that later, I'm not in the studio now.

Never had any probs with this configuration, but today I noticed the following things happening:
First time booting, the monitor said: no signal present. The screen stayed black with the built-in 'no signal'-message, nothing else. I turned the pc out, some minutes later I turned it on.
This time it booted correctly, which took the normal time, very smooth. But when turning it off (pushing the button), it took unusually much longer to turn off. The screen stayed hanging some time in the blue stade, before the "logging off - saving your settings" announcements appeared.
Third time also the booting took way longer than usually. During the DOS-part of the bootprocess, the SCSI-BIOS gets loaded and the SCSIdevices are mentioned one by one.
Device 1 - disk 0 - Maxtor Quantum IV Ultra 2/LVD
Device 2 - disk 1 - Maxtor Quantum V Ultra 2/LVD
Device 3 - disk 2 - Maxtor Quantum V Ultra 2/LVD
Device 4 Plextor 40 TS, Fast/Ultra SE
Device 5 Plextor 8/2/20 Fast/Ultra SE
The time now between device 4 and device 5 is much longer than usual too. It always took the pc some time to 'load' the plextor 40, but when done with that it always went on with the 8/2/20 without a tenth of a second waiting. This time, third boot today, the booting time was prolonged in between these two steps. And - shutting down took the same time longer than it should have done. I used the pc's button to turn it off.

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Could it be the hot weather (got the studio on the nordside of the house, all harddisks cooled plus an extra fan in the case but who knows? It is hot in te room).
Could it be that my system disk, the Quantum IV is slowly going down? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Or could it be that because Windows XP handles IRQ settings in it's own way it is not pleased with the BIOS hard settings? This seems the most unlikely to me, but it comes to mind.
Anybody any suggestions? If it is the weather, than it's allright with me. Then I leave the pc for the summer and just practise my guitar, to retake recording when the temperature gets low enough for the pc to behave less scary. Though this is kinda old gear, can any of you technical knowledgeable guys give me a hint?
Thanks in advance,
Voideco

Metric Halo ULN8 3D Interface, NI Komplete Control S49 midikeyboard

Macbook Pro M1, 2.5 GHz 8 core CPU, 32 Gb RAM, 1Tb storage, Monterey 12.6.6. PT Ultimate 2023.6, UVI Falcon 3.0 + some soundbanks, Waves Platinum bundle, some free Melda plugz, Metric Halo/Make Believe plugz.