Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 03-10-1998, 08:41 AM

Default Avid PC to Pro Tools

How would go about converting a session done on an Avid cut on the PC platform to Pro Tools on the Mac...with more and more Avid PCs being sold I see alot of potntial work developing.....and by the way I went to the OMF website and couldn't find the answer....thanks
Old 03-17-1998, 03:32 PM
Avid

Default Re: Avid PC to Pro Tools

Mitch-
My understanding is that you will be able to do this conversion by using the "Audio Only" export method from Media Composer. This should convert all of your media and the sequence into one big AIFF file. Once the file is moved over to your Pro Tools system, OMF Tool should be able to convert the file into a Pro Tools session and SDII format audio files.

-NB-
Old 04-07-1998, 12:34 AM

Why is it that a response such as this has the disclaimers, "my understanding is..., It should......It should......" What are the actual answers. Does any one actually test this stuff?
Old 04-09-1998, 12:06 AM

Good luck using OMF tool, if you decide to use OMF as a way to get your Media Composer sequence over to Protools. At this point, OMF is very unstable, at best. To top it off, if your original sequence was made on a Media Composer running at 48k, OMF tool is unable to convert it into a 48k Protools session. This is a serious flaw with OMF tool which I've pointed out to Digidesign, Avid and the OMF desk numerous times this last year. As of this week, I've finally gotten someone to say that the problem will be looked at. OMF is a great idea, it just hasn't been realized by Digidesign yet.