Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 08-02-2010, 11:18 AM

Default Drum plug in advice

So I used to program my drums with a synthesizer editor but I want to try it through a Pro Tools plug in now. What are the best drum programs for complete drum track editing? I don't want to use preset looped beats. I want a program that allows me to compose original beats, fill, rolls, and so on down to the exact BPM. Thanks in advance
Old 08-02-2010, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Drum plug in advice

I'd use the Search function. This question comes up very often here. I'll start - Toontrack Superior 2. Let the mayhem begin.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
I'd use the Search function. This question comes up very often here. I'll start - Toontrack Superior 2. Let the mayhem begin.
I checked the lite version of toontrack EZ Drummer and it seemed to be more loop focused. So toon tracks editor is pretty in depth?
Old 08-02-2010, 11:42 AM

I'm a little confused on why you don't just use the midi sequencing and editing of Protools vs. wanting it to specifically be in the drum program itself.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I'm a little confused on why you don't just use the midi sequencing and editing of Protools vs. wanting it to specifically be in the drum program itself.
Honestly, I've recorded in the more traditional way using software minimally and primarily just for multitrack. I'd lay my guitars, vocals, keys, bass all from external instruments. My drums were programmed on a korg sequencer by programming, not playing. I've never worked with midi within the DAW. Would I play the beats from the Midi controller then adjust them on a map? Maybe you could point me to a simplistic tutorial for the basic. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:50 PM

Most Drum Programs have the same Midi Notes for all of the drum parts Kick, snare, Hi Hat, Cymbals, Toms, So I usualy bring up Xpand2 using the Drums Program find a Kit for the type of song/Music IM writing at the time and play the Drum into a Midi Track and record that from my Axiom 61 or the Pads on the Axiom, that way I have the Midi Notes for all the drums and I can change the drum sound patches out latter, double the drum parts with other Drum VI and I can use the Midi Editor to enhance the drums and change sections in the song.

Main:
Model: Dell 5750 Precision Workstation
CPU:*Intel Core Processor i7-10750H (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 2.60 GHz to 5.00 GHz,
Memory:64GB, 2X32GB,DDR4 2933Mhz Non-ECC
OS M.2 512GB PCIe NVMe, Record Intel 1TB SSD, 2T SSD, 1TB SSD
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen
AVID Pro Tools 2023.12
JBL LSR4328P 8"
JBL LSR310S 10 inch Powered Studio Subwoofer*
Yamaha HS50M Studio Monitors
Alesis Elevate 3 Studio Monitors
M-Audio Axiom 61 Midi Controller
Old 08-02-2010, 01:08 PM

Using the midi controller within Protools allows a lot more flexibility and ease of use, especially to change it after the fact, not only switch out sounds, but velocity, timing, etc.

There are a lot of functions so it can seem intimidating at first, but I think you'll enjoy it once you get used to it.

I don't know of specific video tutorials on drum programming in protools, but you might check out Groove3.com, to see what they have.

I can highly recommend a book that's not very expensive, called "Producing in the Home Studio with Pro tools" by David Franz - 3rd edition:

http://www.amazon.com/Producing-Stud...0779418&sr=8-1

This really helped me with all aspects of protools and there's extensive coverage of working with midi. This book came out before Protools 8, but 95% of it still applies. You can find out the updated midi features or protools 8 through other sources.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
ha ha yep, this question is all over the board.

I'm a Strike fan. But have no problem using Superior Drummer 2. Both are very good.

Addictive Drums is very good, as well as Battery 3.

I'm not a BFD fan at all, but again, the sounds are good. and if you are looking for Cinematic/orchestra drums, then True Strike 2 is amazing. And Morphestra also has some great cinematic hits in it.

I have all these programs, but for "normal" drums as in for a rock band, pop, metal, ect, i just like Strike or Superior Drummer best.

Listen to samples, try any demos, and choose the one thats best for you.

Battery 3

Morphestra

True Strike 2

Strike (Youtube)

Digidesign Strike

Superior Drummer 2

BFD 2

Addictive Drums

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-03-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Using the midi controller within Protools allows a lot more flexibility and ease of use, especially to change it after the fact, not only switch out sounds, but velocity, timing, etc.

There are a lot of functions so it can seem intimidating at first, but I think you'll enjoy it once you get used to it.

I don't know of specific video tutorials on drum programming in protools, but you might check out Groove3.com, to see what they have.

I can highly recommend a book that's not very expensive, called "Producing in the Home Studio with Pro tools" by David Franz - 3rd edition:

http://www.amazon.com/Producing-Stud...0779418&sr=8-1

This really helped me with all aspects of protools and there's extensive coverage of working with midi. This book came out before Protools 8, but 95% of it still applies. You can find out the updated midi features or protools 8 through other sources.
So you're saying the easiest way is to play the beats manually onto a midi map, then sort, move, paste and tweak and such? I would still need a good drum program to find the kicks and such that I wanted right? Like I said, I've mostly used DAWs for multitracking.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:26 AM

Yes, for instance these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUX6l45x4iE

were played using an electronic drumkit into Pro Tools as MIDI while triggering BFD2

You can use any MIDI device to record the MIDI...

These were recorded using Superior Drummer 2.0:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMw2b2mC4DQ

and the demos on this page were drawn in using a mouse on a MIDI Track in Pro Tools:

https://www.platinumsamples.com/JoeBarresi.html

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••