Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2021, 01:56 PM

Default Re: PT 11 unable to open in Big Sur 11.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kelly View Post
No, sadly, since I am a rookie at OS, I figured it would pretty much be like iOS, and that everything would pretty much work just as it would with a new update. Who would’ve thunk.

Well, if I get a new computer, I will be then stuck for having to upgrade PT, as well, because no new computer is going to run PT 11, in my best guess. That means not only price of a new computer, but another 600 bills to upgrade PT.

I believe I have an older MacBook Pro, from about 2008, that ran PT 11 just fine. I bought this newer one, if you want to call 2017 newer, To minimize the chances that this would happen.
Things aren't that easy in OSX land. Apple has no reason to support third party software that's old. Take for instance 32 bit s/w - no longer supported. You really need to pay attention to the compatibility page https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

You may get away with running an unsupported combo of PT and operating system but you have to acknowledge that there are issues that may arise. AND you have to be computer savvy. For instance I'm running an unsupported combo of OSX 10.13.6 and PT 2021.6 and realize I might run into issues. But I'm happy and can work around problems as they arise.

QAPLA!
Old 08-03-2021, 02:39 PM

What he said ^^ and same goes for 3rd party plugins. Their stuff may work with PT or not, it is up to you to find out which plugin is causing you trouble. Avid only certifies that their plugins work with certain PT/OS combination. Anything else is up to you.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:30 PM

You’re planning on updating protools 11. The problem with reinstatement is that it doesn’t give you protools 12 which is the license you would need. Probably you can turn over your perpetual license to a subscription and buy yourself a new m1 and save a couple hundred.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2021, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsong View Post
You’re planning on updating protools 11. The problem with reinstatement is that it doesn’t give you protools 12 which is the license you would need. Probably you can turn over your perpetual license to a subscription and buy yourself a new m1 and save a couple hundred.

I think you're wrong. When I did the reinstatement in 2019 I got an iLok license asset that gives me 10/11/12/Perpetual license assets. PT 12 won't help the op anyways as that isn't Avid approved for Big Sur.

BTW - could Apple have picked a worse name when it gets abbreviated? You know how High Sierra becomes HS; Big Sur then becomes BS

QAPLA!
Old 08-04-2021, 09:35 AM

Default PT 11 unable to open in Big Sur 11.5

Some people didn’t get the combo and are still running off of 10 or 11. If you have the updates plan it updates 12 to the current version. Yes, I also recall that you would have had to ask for the combo back then as it wasn’t given out so readily.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:39 AM

OK folks… Here’s the latest:

The demo of the latest version of PT seems to be working fairly solidly on my MBA. Mind you, this is with very little experimentation, and also consider I will only be using this for location recording… Not a lot of density to the final recorded tracks… Other than the audio files. No onboard editing, etc. I’ll transfer the files to my PC.

So, I thought I would take a look and see if I could find an old stock reinstatement… Somebody on reverb.com has one… $369. That’s the only one I could find. That’s really only $150 less than regular retail for the current license. Still not a bargain.

I don’t know a ton about reverb.com, and whether or not they would stand behind their purchases… Would you consider purchasing this? Or, is there a sense of security and actually having a license acquired from a reputable source?

The other alternative is that I just cheap out, and find an inexpensive recording platform to use on location, and just transfer the audio files manually into my PC. A bit of a pain in the butt, but I’ve done it many times.

The good thing about acquiring a current license is that it will probably last for the next five years, and if my PC goes down, I will at least I have this license for whatever I replace my current PC with in the near future, should I need to do that.

The downside of getting a current license is that if anything stops working over the next year, I doubt avid is going to talk to me, because my MBA is not listed on their compatible device list.

Is this the route you would take, if you were a poor bloke and needed to set yourself up the best you could for the next five years, or so? It’s just not economically feasible to update both my MBA, and PT anytime soon.

I attached a screenshot that shows a bit of the listing on reverb.

Let me know your thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8EA49E8D-F7C8-4736-B783-84EED0DF1E36.jpg (56.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-04-2021, 09:41 AM

Trade in your perp and go for the savings for sub plan. It’s not as risky and not as expensive.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsong View Post
Some people didn’t get the combo and are still running off of 10 or 11. If you have the updates plan it updates 12 to the current version. Yes, I also recall that you would have had to ask for the combo back then as it wasn’t given out so readily.

I didn't have to ask for the combo - I automatically got it. Reinstatements got the combo - but a lot depended on what you were reinstating from. If you were reinstating from PT10 or 11 you got the combo. Older PT owners didn't.

QAPLA!
Old 08-04-2021, 09:56 AM

There’s no telling. Towards the end people complained about not getting the combo. I guess if you want to run protools on older systems I’d go with the combo and reinstatement. Reverb.com is reputable. The original reinstatement went for 299.00 but there’s no guarantee you’ll get the combo since it’s 2 years past pt 12.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I didn't have to ask for the combo - I automatically got it. Reinstatements got the combo - but a lot depended on what you were reinstating from. If you were reinstating from PT10 or 11 you got the combo. Older PT owners didn't.
I am not really understanding what you guys are calling the combo…

Am I correct that buying a reinstatement will just enter me into an update plan, which should allow me to update almost any of the available downloaders, and there’s a bunch of them on their site. As far back as PT 11, if I’m not mistaken.

Does a single current license pretty much operate any retroactive version?