Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2003, 08:45 PM

Default Re: PT on external sync / SPDIF straining on system

Umm .. ok I might be in the minority here but i've had no problems at all with disabling S/PDIF mirroring, or have I noticed any performance hits using S/PDIF outputs.

My system:

ASUS CUSL2-C
P-III 1GHz
512mb PC133 RAM
Crappy old ASUS RIVA-TNT based vid card
2x HDD (IBM Deskstar 45gb, Seagate 'cuda 40gb)
Advansys SCSI Card
1x IBM Deskstar 9gb external SCSI card
Accton 10baseT network card
SB Live Value card

Cheers,
Marcus
Old 04-03-2003, 10:07 PM

It's a bug in PT 5.3, not in 5.1/5.0 if I understand it right.

Pieter
Old 04-04-2003, 06:12 AM

i have simular problems. but when you replace the digi001 drivers with the same drivers (can be found individially on DIGIdownload), it seems to be solved. it think the PT 5.3.1 exe doesn't install the drivers properly. first time i installed PT on my new system, i didn't have mididrivers (note:it had nothing to do with the windows wavedriver, as it wasn't installed!). again, after upgrading the drivers with dalwdm531 (the same as there are supposed to be!), midi was running fine...
maybe you could all try this out?
greettz,
freakofnature.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:41 AM

You know, I don't want to try it out until I know it's totally fixed. It crashed my computer in a big way, I believe it cost Alan Hallada a hard drive and someone else said it fried their mobo. If it really is that bad DIGI should disable it until they fix it. It's more than a bug if it's going to wreck your whole computer.

I think they should get all their people on this one, pronto. It's pretty frigin bad. We shouldn't have to wait for PT 6 to fix this thing.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by freakofnature:
(note:it had nothing to do with the windows wavedriver, as it wasn't installed!). again, after upgrading the drivers with dalwdm531 (the same as there are supposed to be!), midi was running fine...
maybe you could all try this out?
greettz,
freakofnature.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Paul,
You say it had nothing to do with the wav driver
but you upgraded with dalwdm531.zip which IS the wav driver.

I don't get it. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2003, 01:12 PM
Avid

Hello,

We have seen a few issues when S/PDIF mirroring is disabled and we are currently looking into possible causes.

Lalaman, have you tried running your audio drive on the built in ATA bus? Do you still notice a slow down in performance?

Mike
Old 04-04-2003, 02:26 PM

Hi Mike,

no I havn´t tried that. Had the audio disks on PCI controller all the time.
Could I just switch the HDs back and forth without any risks for them?
And as it could mean irritation in the sessions disk allocation ( a friend of mine lately had formatting issues on his disks after opening a session from another system / so that disk allocation didn´t meet right ... = there was even a partition fraction written on his audio disk afterwards ) - could a switch mean trouble herein too?

Thanx,

Lalaman
Old 04-05-2003, 12:43 AM

the wavedriver531 is the additional sounddriver for other programs. the dalwdm531 is the driver for the hardware to function within Protools.
but nevermind, the problems are back as evil as it gets: the same error readings,crash and big noise almost blowing my speakers away. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
i also had to format my audiodisc as in one of these cases before, the song wasn't saved properly at the crash and Windows didn't detect the right amount of data anymore on the disc. so every time i booted the pc, Windows runned scandisk on my audiodisc; even after deleting this bad saved session!
i have to admit Lalaman, the optical problem IS a very dangerous bug and i think it should not be solved in PT6, BUT IN A SEPERATE BUGFIX FOR 531 OWNERS. Digidesign?
Old 04-05-2003, 03:41 PM

Digi- is this something that we 5.3.1 users can expect to se a fix on any time soon?
Old 04-05-2003, 03:50 PM

When running my BR532 drum into 001 through the optical input, I had several crashes (ugly clicking sound that wouldn't stop until I manually shut down the computer). I quit using the op-in.