Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 02-06-2023, 11:56 AM

Default Google Drive File Stream Folder as a Pro Tools Volume

MacOS doesn't let me change google drive file stream folder. What can i do to work with google drive folder as a valid Playback/Record Volume? Last month i've changed Google Drive Folder location to a personalized location in my drive and all worked fine.º
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captura de Pantalla 2023-02-06 a la(s) 16.54.53.jpg (35.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-06-2023, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Google Drive File Stream Folder as a Pro Tools Volume

I find that Google changes their architecture often and without warning. What worked yesterday may not work tomorrow. This is why I've left them, as much as possible, for other services. It's also possible that something changed in ProTools to disallow writing to Google Drive. Have you updated ProTools recently?

I'm actually surprised that you were ever able to record to a Google Drive folder, but assuming it worked and now doesn't, and that ProTools hasn't changed, I'd guess that your Google swap folder doesn't allow proper folder privileges for PT.

Out of curiosity, why do you record directly to a Google Drive folder? Honestly, that's just asking for trouble.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
...why do you record directly to a Google Drive folder? Honestly, that's just asking for trouble.
Yes. Record to local drive.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 02-06-2023, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjimena View Post
MacOS doesn't let me change google drive file stream folder. What can i do to work with google drive folder as a valid Playback/Record Volume? Last month i've changed Google Drive Folder location to a personalized location in my drive and all worked fine.º
Recording to any cloud drive folder is not a good idea. As has been discussed on DUC many times. Pro Tools has just not been properly designed/built to handle working with cloud storage, regardless of what Avid might say. There are more risks when trying to collaborate over cloud storage but even without that you can run into problems with poor storage performance and network overheads affecting Pro Tools. Pro Tools is not a word processor or spreadsheet it has demanding near-real time performance requirements.

I will hazard a guess that almost all Pro Tools users work on only local sessions. The talk about cloud, either Avid Cloud or third party cloud, has really not gone well and have caused some folks a lot of pain. But cloud storage is great for some stuff: many of us will manually copy those sessions to cloud folders, or directly to cloud storage, for backup and/or archive purposes and to collaborate with other users who manually download copies of the session. It's a good idea to zip up the sessions before moving to cloud storage so folks don't mistakingly run them from there.
Old 02-06-2023, 03:51 PM

I even can’t import omf/aaf from google drive directory! :/
Old 02-06-2023, 05:45 PM

For those not familiar with Google Drive, it's capable of acting as a record drive because all files go to a temp folder which is then copied to the cloud. So if you disconnect the cloud component it's like recording to a local drive. It gets ugly because Google is too often screwing with that data, and their protocols, and the service itself is always in flux. I find the whole service to be clunky and unreliable.

However, there was a time (a few years ago) where it was brilliant. GDrive showed up on your desktop like a mounted drive and you could treat it as such. Fantastic! I miss those days. Now it's a mess and every year it gets worse.

I do agree that it's not typically a good idea to let any cloud service *continually* govern the folders where ProTools is writing files. I think it's fine if you have backups set to a particular time when you're not working. Not unlike TimeMachine. This is how I handle my cloud backups and there have been no issues whatsoever.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Kubiak View Post
I even can’t import omf/aaf from google drive directory! :/
Interesting. I assume that you can copy to a different folder -- a local folder -- and then import from there.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:47 AM

Thanks everybody for giving a time to debate this topic. I know GD it's not reliable but it really helps working on small post production projects in different locations with different collaborators.

I've managed to change google drive location folder logging out account and then entering this on Terminal:

touch ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/DriveFS/fp_left_beta

After logging in again Google Drive app allowed me to change google drive folder location to a "Google Drive" folder i've made in Desktop and all were good.

But in other computer is not working for some reason we are figuring out. Pro tools workspace recognize GD folder as a volume but it doesn't see folder architecture

thanks a lot for helping!!
Old 02-13-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks everybody for giving a time to debate this topic. I know GD it's not reliable but
That's a pretty dangerous statement no matter how you look at it.
Old 03-10-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks everybody for giving a time to debate this topic. I know GD it's not reliable but it really helps working on small post production projects in different locations with different collaborators.

I've managed to change google drive location folder logging out account and then entering this on Terminal:

touch ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/DriveFS/fp_left_beta

After logging in again Google Drive app allowed me to change google drive folder location to a "Google Drive" folder i've made in Desktop and all were good.

But in other computer is not working for some reason we are figuring out. Pro tools workspace recognize GD folder as a volume but it doesn't see folder architecture

thanks a lot for helping!!
hello everyone! same issue here. I've done what you said, worked for some days, but now it came back to the "default" config which does not allow us to chose the folder where Google Drive is in. it backs greyed out and says the OS manages it, so PT won't recognize folders to link files, etc. and now I've used the same strategy - logout, terminal stuff, login - again but does not works... any lights?