Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 02-02-2023, 09:07 AM

Default Clarity on HDX power cable and TB 3 chassis

Hey all!
I have an HDX2 in a 2019 max pro a cheese grater.
I am pulling one of those cards and putting it in Avid TB3 chassis so I’ll need to find a second power cable for the card.
I remember jumping through some hoops to power the cards when I first got the cheese grater so I looked at avids compatibility chart for chassis and I’m not clear on what’s what.

The avid branded HDX chassis has a 2-7-8 by it.

(7) Power Cable for HDX (9180-60004-00 or TCB-HDXB) required
I assumed this is saying either cable will work. However my sweetwater guy is saying no. That the avid chassis will only work with the Avid cable and the TCB works with sonnet branded chassis.

I remember there being a belkin solution as well but can’t recall if it a complete solution or an adapter to an existing cable.

Anyone have clarity in this? The avid cables are out to stock everywhere.

EDIT: I talked to Sonnet and this is their answer in case anyone finds themselves with pre 2019 cards and a new TB chassis.

Thank you for the information and image.

The TCB-HDXB cable here is designed for use within Sonnet chassis, or any cable that includes a 6-pin PCIe auxiliary cable for power.
All HDX compatible Sonnet chassis include an additional 6-pin PCIe power cable for auxiliary power that this adapter cable can be used with.
If your Avid chassis includes a cable like this, or it is already plugged into the main logic board, then you can use the adapter cable above with this cable to power a single Avid HDX card.

Otherwise, the Avid 9180-60004-00 cable mentioned is a triple-breakout-cable which is an Avid proprietary cable, not manufactured by Sonnet, and is only provided by Avid with their HDX cards' Mac Pro editions upon purchase.
See our tech note here for more details.

If the Avid chassis did not include additional cabling (6-Pin auxiliary power cable) and/or you need the Avid triple-cable, but do not have it, the Avid HDX cable can be purchased through third-party Avid suppliers like these here.

Avid may also have more information about this cable directly.

Let us know if any of this helps to clarify.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by DHS; 02-02-2023 at 03:15 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-02-2023, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Clarity on HDX power cable and TB 3 chassis

I spent 4 hours trying to resolve this. Sonnet is MIA. Avid is saying that they can only sell through and authorized dealer. Authorized dealers are sold out. I remember seeing someone here post a Pinout for this cable but I cant find it any longer. I have a couple laying around from my Magma Chassis from he trash can days so I would only need to swap the 4 pin with the 6 pin connector. Shouldn't be too difficult
Old 02-02-2023, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHS View Post
(7) Power Cable for HDX (9180-60004-00 or TCB-HDXB)

I have had this exact cable sitting on my desk for months now for no good reason. I don't even have HDX cards anymore. If you want me to toss it in an envelope and send it your way, just drop me a PM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HDX card 1.jpg (27.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg HDX cable 2.jpg (32.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg HDX cable 3.jpg (52.6 KB, 0 views)
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:12 PM

yep thats the one! Thats amazing. I called a friend that had a spare and he sorted me out for a cup of coffee. I really do appreciate you offering! I have a feeling as more people finally abandon their old macs and move into newer silicon this is going to continue to be a pain point for the people who didn't buy HDX "Mac Pro edition" cards. I bought my HDX cards 11 years ago!! I cant imagine HDX makes through 2023.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:12 PM

Hey, so, I bought a used HDX card a couple of years ago for my 2009 cheesegrater, flashed to 5,1, making the leap from HD2 Accel. The rig has been working just fine (I'm still on 2021.6 / Mojave) but I'd been thinking now was the time to get current, and I was going to get some kind of M1 or M2 Mini, with an external chassis for the HDX card. I also have a UAD Octo card I'd need to run. This thread has me worried. Am I going to be SOL when I try to get this new rig and run my HDX card in one of these TB3 external chassis if I don't have one of these cables that no one makes anymore?? I'll buy one on this thread, if anyone is selling!! Thanks!!
Old 02-13-2023, 08:11 PM

Cable looks like it can be bought off the shelf for pc power supplies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk