Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2011, 01:16 PM

Default A newer Avid video about upcoming features just posted

I've already posted this in the Post/Surround section, but I wanted to mention it here also. Avid just posted a new, longer, much higher quality video from the IBC conference that goes into much more detail about the new features they're working on. It's also in 720HD and much nicer to watch.

It's 25 minutes long. Very interesting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJd8K...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-11-2011, 12:28 AM

Default Re: A newer Avid video about upcoming features just posted

Love it. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 AM

THAT'S 64BITS!!! There is no way that a 32bit program can directly access 24GB of RAM!

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 10-11-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post
THAT'S 64BITS!!! There is no way that a 32bit program can directly access 24GB of RAM!
What are you talking about? The large memory is used for RAM disk/cache outside of Pro Tools as they clearly describe. This same silly discussion keeps going around and around and around... in multiple threads on DUC. There is nothing here that makes it clear this is a 64 bit demo of Pro Tools.

Darryl
Old 10-11-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
you don't pay very good attention do you?

Tom clearly states that the audio files are loaded into a RAM Disk outside of Pro Tools

I'm beginning to speculate that we are seeing bits of 64 bit code being incorporated into Pro Tools but it is not 64 bit code top to bottom
Now if this is true and they call it 10 instead of 9.x.0 that will be disturbing

It could be the version shown was labeled X were X=experimental

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig

Last edited by Craig F; 10-11-2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-11-2011, 03:52 PM

In the video he tosses an iLok1 onto the game table. The original, old and hideous iLOK! My eyes hurt!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What are you talking about? The large memory is used for RAM disk/cache outside of Pro Tools as they clearly describe. This same silly discussion keeps going around and around and around... in multiple threads on DUC. There is nothing here that makes it clear this is a 64 bit demo of Pro Tools.

Darryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
you don't pay very good attention do you?

Tom clearly states that the audio files are loaded into a RAM Disk outside of Pro Tools

I'm beginning to speculate that we are seeing bits of 64 bit code being incorporated into Pro Tools but it is not 64 bit code top to bottom
Now if this is true and they call it 10 instead of 9.x.0 that will be disturbing

It could be the version shown was labeled X were X=experimental
It is loaded directly into RAM!!!! How else can you do that. They say it goes from the disk to the RAM. It is still in one program, running natively. You can only do that with 64-bits. Sorry to bust you guys bubble, but that is some sort of 64-bit code. It wouldn't do it with 4GB! Just saying. Think about it a little bit. Can you take control with over 4GB of RAM with one program, without any background program. Really think about it. BTW I watch the video three times and rewind a few parts.

Also listen to Tom when he said "Man, That is a lot of RAM". That is the same voice when They told me they knew nothing about the 003, and it release a month later. Just putting it out there, it may be a possibility that it is real this time.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 10-12-2011, 02:14 AM

Listen to the video again specifically at 5:19, at 5:22 to 5:24 he says caching it in ram outside of protools (not system ram) and read what's written at 5:27.

IT SPECIFICALLY SAYS DISK CACHE.

The data is loaded into a disk cache, also known as ram disk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_disk

here's a link to educate yourself on this old technology but still useful today.

Using a ram disk enables to load data into "Ram" without it being system ram. It essentially act like a Hard disk, but instead of being an SSD or a spindle drive, it's actually ram that is not set for system usage. They can be through pci card or it can be done also by partitioning the ram sticks that are in the ram slots. The OS would basically see it as an other drive and so would pro tools.

Pro tools would not have to be 64 bit to access that "new drive" as it would access it like any other drive, but it would be much, much, much more faster than any other SSD or HDD.

Now I know your excited about this, but trust me on this one, until Avid announces it is 64 bit, keep your shirt on. There's no use in speculating and positioning yourself into being let down if the next version of pt, or the one after that,,is not 64 bit.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-12-2011, 04:14 AM

Quote:
It is loaded directly into RAM!!!! How else can you do that. They say it goes from the disk to the RAM. It is still in one program, running natively. You can only do that with 64-bits. Sorry to bust you guys bubble, but that is some sort of 64-bit code. It wouldn't do it with 4GB! Just saying. Think about it a little bit. Can you take control with over 4GB of RAM with one program, without any background program. Really think about it. BTW I watch the video three times and rewind a few parts.

Also listen to Tom when he said "Man, That is a lot of RAM". That is the same voice when They told me they knew nothing about the 003, and it release a month later. Just putting it out there, it may be a possibility that it is real this time.
I take from this you do not know a lot about software development. And do not understand how a RAM disk or filesystem works or concepts like virtual/pluggable filesystems or user-space filesystems. All of which may be at play here. And why would you assume a RAM disk cache is necessarily "in the same program" (I assume you meant in the same address space).

Avid could release a full 64 bit Pro Tools tomorrow for all I know, but there was nothing in this demo that shows anything that most technically savvy people would consider to be 64 bit support. It showed a large RAM cache, that is all.

You seriously need to go watch the demo again and stop making unfounded technical claims based on your lack of technical knowledge. But hey I hate to burst your bubble.

This was a beautifully done demo and what was going on was very clearly explained. But this swarm of confused noise and people running around claiming an imminent release of Pro Tools 10 that this demo has kicked up may have Avid regretting being this open about their product plans. And that would be a pity.

Darryl
Old 10-12-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
This was a beautifully done demo and what was going on was very clearly explained. But this swarm of confused noise and people running around claiming an imminent release of Pro Tools 10 that this demo has kicked up may have Avid regretting being this open about their product plans. And that would be a pity.

Darryl
Avid will get the exact same reaction from anything they release until PT is 64 bit. For those wanting 64 bit they may as well be passing out donuts if the release isn't 64 bit.

That is no reason for them not to continue being open about their plans. If anything it should show them why 64 bit is one of the most popular requests. I remember when one could be having a general discussion here about pizza and ADC would come up. The same thing is happening now with 64 bit, and happened with this video.