Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2022, 09:45 AM

Default MacStudio HD Nativ

Hi,
is there anyone who got a setup running with MacStudio Max, Sonnet EchoIII D TB3, HD Native card and 192 interface?
Can't get it to work

Thanks for the answers
Old 04-13-2022, 10:01 AM

Default Re: MacStudio HD Nativ

Which exact Sonnet?
When did you buy it? (before/after Dec 2020 model)
Before Dec 2020, you had to get a special "TB3 HDX"

Is it called the "TB3 Edition"? That doesn't support the cards at all,

Current models have an internal switch you need to flip in order to use HDX/HDN cards in them.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:49 AM

The sonnet hdx edition

Is a thunderbolt 3 card on the back with a pcie 2.0 bridge chipset.

The sonnet echo express 3r tb 3 edition is a thunderbolt 3 card with a pcie 3.0 chipset. (Not compatible with hdx cards)

Otherwise it's identical to other sonnet configurations

Your work around is to replace the tb3 card with a sonnet thunderbolt 2 card and use the apple Thundberbolt adapter

Hope this helps somewhat

l
Old 04-13-2022, 12:37 PM

It is the right chassis. Sonnet DuoModo Echo III with the HDX switch. The chassis and the HD Native card also work with MBP 2017.
The problem seems to be more the Mac Studio.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:42 PM

MacStudio M1Max, Sonnet Echo IIID, HD Native PCI. MacOS 12.3.
Clean installation without plugins. HD Driver was installed according to instructions. Protools has write permissions on all drives.
Audio Hardware can be addressed via Core Audio driver. Protools starts and session can be opened. Record and play 128 tracks, no problem.
If I install a plugin, e.g. Pro Compressor, the bars in the system usage window go to full. If I delete the Protools Preferences and restart the computer, everything works fine again.
I can do this with all Avid stock plugins. (on after an other) at some point, however, the process cannot be continued and i have to remove all plugins and start over.
With plugins from FabFilter or UAD I can't get a system to work. Also not after complete reset of the preferences.
The HD Native hardware works normally with the Core Audiodriver with other software (logic, Apple System Sound).
Help or ideas ???
Old 04-13-2022, 03:03 PM

Yes the last one with the hdx mode does exactly what I described above.

Puts the pcie bridge in to v. 2.0 mode.

Ok phone or email sonnet tech support they're brilliant, they will help you.

l
Old 04-13-2022, 04:34 PM

Would any of this help? Avid seem to have some pretty specific steps for installing the HD driver under Monterey.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ion&popup=true
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos audio View Post
MacStudio M1Max, Sonnet Echo IIID, HD Native PCI. MacOS 12.3.
Clean installation without plugins. HD Driver was installed according to instructions. Protools has write permissions on all drives.
Audio Hardware can be addressed via Core Audio driver. Protools starts and session can be opened. Record and play 128 tracks, no problem.
If I install a plugin, e.g. Pro Compressor, the bars in the system usage window go to full. If I delete the Protools Preferences and restart the computer, everything works fine again.
I can do this with all Avid stock plugins. (on after an other) at some point, however, the process cannot be continued and i have to remove all plugins and start over.
With plugins from FabFilter or UAD I can't get a system to work. Also not after complete reset of the preferences.
The HD Native hardware works normally with the Core Audiodriver with other software (logic, Apple System Sound).
Help or ideas ???

Mine was running fine for a day or so then the CPU spikes popped up. Seems like something with the HD Driver. Using any other audio device, Protools runs well and the plugins seems to work including 3rd party plugins. Your issues seems like the same issues I’m having.

and check this thread as well
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=419428

"please stop OVER-complicating simple things"

Last edited by 685; 04-15-2022 at 06:58 AM.