Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2017, 10:40 AM

Default HELP!! Upgrade from HD3 - HDX or Native?

Hello Everyone,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to read my post. I am thinking about upgrading my HD3 system for either an HDX or HD Native. I am struggling to determine which one is right for me and thats why I need your help. Firstly I would like to outline my current setup.

Mac Pro 4,1 Quad Core with 6 GB of Ram
HD3 Accel (As stated above)
Pro Tools HD9
3 x Avid 16x16 interfaces
1 x Digidesign 192 "blue" interface
1 x SSL AWS 948 Console

I use the 3 Avid 16x16 I/O's to output to the console (48) and the 192 to output to the Aviom headphone system (16). I will probably only use about a maximum of 24 inputs at one time when tracking but that could change depending on the project. I have 48 preamp inputs including the SSL.

The reason I want to upgrade is mainly a workflow thing. The Mac Pro is very sluggish and it can sometimes take a while to open up a large session with lots of plugins. Often it won't even open and crashes. I am now getting multiple crashes in 1 day of working which is so frustrating. I use quite a lot of plugins in my mixing sessions and I will normally max out the TDM engines before going to RTAS. I also want access to the new features in Pro Tools 12. (Clip gain, track commit etc)
I really want to run Pro Tools 12HD on a laptop with a chassis for either the HDX/Native card. I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 2,7 GHZ I7 with 16GB of Ram to kickstart the upgrade process and its obviously a lot faster than the Mac Pro I currently use in the studio. I want to open a Pro Tools session instantly and not wait forever for the sessions to open. I also want to have more power when mixing. I requested a quote for the HDX Core card and literally had to check my underpants after reviewing it! But fits the right way to go then I must commit. HD Native is also a great option but will it be powerful enough for what I need? Anyway thanks for listening and if anyone has any comments please can you post below. Many thanks!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:24 AM

Default Re: HELP!! Upgrade from HD3 - HDX or Native?

Check the hd3 to hdx avid trade in upgrade
4-6k or so
Add a Thunderbolt chassis
Old 02-13-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Check the hd3 to hdx avid trade in upgrade
4-6k or so
Add a Thunderbolt chassis
Thanks for the reply. Yes I did enquire about that when I requested the quote for HDX. Still very pricey here in South Africa! I will also need to trade in my 192 for an Avid HD I/O. As the 192 is not compatible with PT 11 and 12. Surely HD Native is a cheaper option and I can connect my 4 Avid I/O's to the 2 ports? My only issue is will it be more powerful than my HD3 system currently?
Old 02-13-2017, 12:30 PM

I'm making a move in the opposite direction. Fastest Macbook Pro runs my sessions easily. I'll keep it, but my second rig will be HD Accel. I'll compare them and I'll let you know!
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 02-13-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko View Post
I'm making a move in the opposite direction. Fastest Macbook Pro runs my sessions easily. I'll keep it, but my second rig will be HD Accel. I'll compare them and I'll let you know!
Thanks Jacko. What you running on your laptop...HDX or Native? Would be great to hear how that compares. What computer will you be running with the accel system? Also won't you be limited to Pro Tools 10HD?
Old 02-13-2017, 10:17 PM

I have had the same config (except the SSL console) and what I did was leave it as is and buy HDN thunderbolt box to go with my laptop. Both are now in active use.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawbzzz View Post
Also won't you be limited to Pro Tools 10HD?
Yes, TDM systems are not compatible with PT11 and later
Old 02-13-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I have had the same config (except the SSL console) and what I did was leave it as is and buy HDN thunderbolt box to go with my laptop. Both are now in active use.
Thanks for the reply JFreak. So do you use the laptop configuration for mixing? The HD3 system for tracking? The thing with my setup is I need to access the 4 Avid interfaces to use the SSL console. 48 outs for mixing. Also roughly 25 inputs for tracking.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawbzzz View Post
Thanks for the reply JFreak. So do you use the laptop configuration for mixing? The HD3 system for tracking? The thing with my setup is I need to access the 4 Avid interfaces to use the SSL console. 48 outs for mixing. Also roughly 25 inputs for tracking.
Yes, exactly, that HD3 is my front-of-audience workhorse while laptop stays mostly at home for mixing. HDN has two digilinks so 4 interfaces max. will not cause you any trouble. Performance-wise my laptop setup beats the pants down my HD3, but stability-wise TDM cards have an edge. Latency of an HDN system is not an issue regarding tracking.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:06 PM

HD Native may be what you are looking for and should handle your I/O needs with the current audio interfaces you have now. If you want more speed and faster opening sessions you need a faster computer(no want around it). You can check www.everymac.com to look up your mac pro/macbook pro to campare what they score on Geekbench(64). It will give you a better idea of what you have and what you may need to buy.

You can even upgrade the CPU and RAM in your current macpro. Lots of youtube videos on it and companies that can do it for you. Go from your single quad to a six core or even up to a 12-core. Lots of options. You should also look into SSDs if you don't already have one for your main OS drive to help programs load/run faster. I know several folks who run a fast computer with one HDX card (to handle I/O, latency, etc) and than use the power of the faster computer to run native plugins.