Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2008, 08:17 PM

Default seeking advice on update, 6.4 to 7.?

I'll be updating soon...I'm running PT 6.4 on a single processor (2.7 ghz), and it's served me well on some pretty big sessions (25-30 audio tracks w/ convolution reverbs, drumagogs, Autotunes, lots of plugins) but it's been buggy too (access violations). I have a dual 2 gig AMD I will install, my mobo is outdated but has been a proven workhorse for many here.

What is the difference in performance between 7.3 and 7.4, and can I even upgrade to 7.3? Elastic Audio seems pretty cool, but I'm not sure I'd use it much. Mainly I want a rock solid system. (Anyone remember 5.3.1? That was flawless).

Guy

www.guyfi.com
www.flystudiosmilwaukee.com
Old 07-01-2008, 08:14 AM

Default Re: seeking advice on update, 6.4 to 7.?

anyone....?

www.guyfi.com
Old 07-01-2008, 10:44 AM

I have 7.3.1cs6 running on an Asus A8V Deluxe board with an AMD Dual Core 4800 939 socket and 2 gb of memory with no problems. There has been a performance hit since 5x as Digidesign has released new upgrades and new features. My understanding is that Elastic Audio is another hit on performance as is Vista according to some posters.

What I would suggest is, after upgrading your processor, make an image of your OS drive with Acronis True Image or Ghost as it is with 6.4. Download and install the latest QuickTime and PACE drivers. Purchase the 7.4 upgrade and download it and the cs updates for it. I believe you can then use the authorization code for 7.4 you'll receive to download 7.3/7.3.1 and it's cs updates. Then use the PT Nuke facility to strip off Pro Tools LE completely, reboot and install 7.4 and the latest cs update for it. You may also have to reinstall any third party plug-ins as they are sometimes stripped off as well, but I'd wait on that until you open Pro Tools and make sure it's working properly. Also, ALL third party plug-ins have to be updated to 7x compatible versions.

If 7.4 is too much of a performance hit for you, then Nuke it and install 7.3.1 and the latest cs update and see how you like the performance with it installed.

If you don't like any of it, just restore the old image with 6.4 cs6 and cs9 on it and disable one core of your dual core when using Pro Tools as only 7x takes advatage of multiple cores. However, I'm confident you'll find at least 7.3.1 cs6 will be fine for that dual core processor.

BTW, how do you like the Signature Series mod from Black Lion and what are they like to deal with?

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-01-2008, 12:11 PM

Bruce,

Thanks for your input. I downloaded a demo of Acronis but haven't installed it yet. I actually have never done this before, is this like creating a bootable disc that has the OS and program files on it? Do I burn it onto a DVD or does it reside on my C drive (or another drive)?

Also, what is the PT Nuke facility, a new feature of PT7?

I see where I can buy 7.4 from the DigiStore, but didn't see 7.3.

Sorry to have so many questions...

re: Black Lion, they are good to deal with, you can actually get the main guys on the phone and they're cool, and will answer your questions.

I got my unit back 3 weeks ago. Here are some thoughts:

-when playing sessions back that were recorded on it previously: Not an "oh my god!" difference but noticeable to me, cleaner highs, tighter bass. Less "smear". This is probably attibuted to better D/A conversion as well as the clock.

-I haven't really put the preamps to a good test yet, though I tracked some bass through them (di out of my Eden head) and I was very pleased with the result, big and present. Also did a little cleanup work from another remote job, vocals on a 58, and it sounded good, with a ot of headroom.

-I just did a remote job using the line ins as well as digital in via my FF800; preamps were from an Allen and Heath board. The final result was a dramatic improvement over the stock unit, and this was recorded at 24/44.1.

I can't compare this mod to the other BLA mods because I haven't worked with them, but I know that the sound is much improved. If I was to make a visual analogy, I'd say the stock 002 is like a window with a slight haze over it and the mod has removed the haze. It's easier to get a good mix.

www.guyfi.com
Old 07-01-2008, 01:58 PM

[QUOTE]
Bruce,

Thanks for your input. I downloaded a demo of Acronis but haven't installed it yet. I actually have never done this before, is this like creating a bootable disc that has the OS and program files on it? Do I burn it onto a DVD or does it reside on my C drive (or another drive)?[QUOTE]

You can make a complete image of your OS drive, or any other drive. It can be burned to DVD, but it's best to have the image on a physically separate hard drive. It's quicker to make and quicker to restore from. I have 3 drives in my system: OS, Audio and Storage. I do a complete image backup of my OS and Audio drives nightly, keeping the day before and the current back up. The image files are just that, a file. It can be deleted, copied, moved, whatever. You just restore from the image back to another drive. All that's lost is whatever changes you made to the drive since the image was made. It's like time travel.

[QUOTE]
Also, what is the PT Nuke facility, a new feature of PT7?[QUOTE]

It's not a new feature, but something that Digidesign is supplying to Windows users along with the Tech Folder/Tech Utility. PT Nuke will wipe Pro Tools off your OS drive. The Tech Folder/Utility allows you to delete Preferences and Digidesign Databases as well as remove demo plug-ins and generate a version and plug-in list. More information here.

[QUOTE]
I see where I can buy 7.4 from the DigiStore, but didn't see 7.3.[QUOTE]

I can't see 7.3 either, just 7.3.1 which requires 7.3 to be already installed. There is still 7.3 on DVD for sale in the Digistore for $14.95. Not sure how you would otherwise get 7.3 unless you bought 7.4 then contacted Digidesign and asked them for 7.3 so you could roll back. And it's not in the Support Archives yet, 7.3 is too new. Maybe someone else knows how to get 7.3.

And don't forget, you have to update all third party plug-ins to 7.3 or 7.4 compatability, very important or otherwise there could be major problems runing Pro Tools. Some of the Digidesign extra plug-ins also have to be updated individually if they're not part of the PT LE install file.

Quote:
Sorry to have so many questions...

re: Black Lion, they are good to deal with, you can actually get the main guys on the phone and they're cool, and will answer your questions.

I got my unit back 3 weeks ago. Here are some thoughts:

-when playing sessions back that were recorded on it previously: Not an "oh my god!" difference but noticeable to me, cleaner highs, tighter bass. Less "smear". This is probably attibuted to better D/A conversion as well as the clock.

-I haven't really put the preamps to a good test yet, though I tracked some bass through them (di out of my Eden head) and I was very pleased with the result, big and present. Also did a little cleanup work from another remote job, vocals on a 58, and it sounded good, with a ot of headroom.

-I just did a remote job using the line ins as well as digital in via my FF800; preamps were from an Allen and Heath board. The final result was a dramatic improvement over the stock unit, and this was recorded at 24/44.1.

I can't compare this mod to the other BLA mods because I haven't worked with them, but I know that the sound is much improved. If I was to make a visual analogy, I'd say the stock 002 is like a window with a slight haze over it and the mod has removed the haze. It's easier to get a good mix.
Thanks for the "review". I've seen a lot of positive comments about the BLA mods here on the DUC and elsewhere. When I have the money, I'll probably go for the Signature mod.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction