Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-13-2021, 07:39 AM

Default WTF? "None Monitor" appearing 600 times in I/O setup

Hi,
Running OS Mojave on a 2012 MacBook Pro with Pro Tools 2019 and an HD Omni via an HD Native Thunderbolt interface.

I am using the Omni as a straight 4-in, 8-out converter via an external mixer, and have no need for the monitor section functionality. In order to simplify my life, I disabled the various CR Path options (i.e. set them to "None") in the Monitor tab of the HD Omni's Hardware setup page within Pro Tools.

Now, whenever I open up the I/O Settings dialog, the Output tab presents me with 600 greyed out "None Monitor" options (see pic). I can delete these from the Bus tab, but they still remain under the Output tab. When I try to delete them from the Output tab, I get an error message saying, "The monitor path cannot be deleted from the I/O Setup dialog..."

The 600 "None Monitor" outputs are presumably for each of the sessions I've opened in the last year or so when I set the Omni up to work this way. I noticed it a long time ago, but just kept chugging away when a quick fix didn't seem to be apparent.

Pro Tools is still functional, but it's getting to a point where it's really becoming annoying, and I cannot figure out how to get rid of these superfluous outputs. I have tried deleting the I/O Setup files and relaunching Pro Tools, trashing all prefs, and have reactivated the Monitor section in the Omni to see if that might clear things up. Nothing seems to work, and every time I open a session, it creates another new "None Monitor" output that I cannot delete.

Anyone know how to deal with this conundrum? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg None Monitor.jpg (59.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-13-2021, 08:28 AM

Default Re: WTF? "None Monitor" appearing 600 times in I/O setup

Can you paste the text of the message? Its too fuzzy to read. I think it says something about not being able to delete? I would start on the Bus tab and try to delete there(guessing this bogus path is mapped to an output). Any(every) session you have opened since this started may need the same treatment.

Alternately, move the message box close to the lower right corner and upload just that area(a smaller area should show up clearer here) as I'd like to be able to see the info on Monitor Path, Audition Path, etc.

Also, I can see that the message is referring to Hardware Setup so that is another place that needs to be viewed It may also be worth changing the IO setup to NOT allow Session Overwrite. Beyond that(and assuming Hardware Setup looks correct), I would try to delete all paths and then create what you really want.

FWIW, I have never seen this ever before(so trashing prefs is also a good idea)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-13-2021, 09:06 AM

"The Monitor path cannot be deleted from the I/O Setup dialog. Please open the Hardware Setup dialog’s Monitor tab to modify the Monitor path."
Old 11-13-2021, 09:17 AM

Thanks so much for the reply, Albee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Can you paste the text of the message? Its too fuzzy to read.
It reads, "The Monitor Path cannot be deleted from the I/O Setup dialog. Please open the Hardware Setup dialog's Monitor tab to modify the Monitor path."

Quote:
I would start on the Bus tab and try to delete there (guessing this bogus path is mapped to an output).
Already did that. I can successfully delete the monitor paths from the Bus tab, but they stubbornly remain present and greyed out in the Output tab. Also, under the Output tab, if I click "Default" in order to try and start over from scratch, it crashes Pro Tools.

Quote:
Alternately, move the message box close to the lower right corner and upload just that area (a smaller area should show up clearer here) as I'd like to be able to see the info on Monitor Path, Audition Path, etc.
Done! New pic attached as requested. Still a bit fuzzy, but should be legible.

Quote:
Also, I can see that the message is referring to Hardware Setup so that is another place that needs to be viewed.
Yes, I have checked there, and have a pic attached of how I currently have the Monitor tab of the HW Setup configured. Unfortunately, instantiating a monitor path other than "None" will successfully add a new path, but it does nothing to get rid of the all the greyed out "None Monitor" outputs in the output tab of the I/O Setup.

Quote:
It may also be worth changing the IO setup to NOT allow Session Overwrite. Beyond that(and assuming Hardware Setup looks correct), I would try to delete all paths and then create what you really want.
I can create a new I/O Setup exactly how I want it, and it works, with the caveat that I still have 600 "None Monitor" outputs listed under the Output tab of the I/O Setup, and I cannot seem to delete them for the life of me. Each time I open a new session, a new one is created that I cannot delete.

Quote:
FWIW, I have never seen this ever before(so trashing prefs is also a good idea)
Yes, it's got me stumped as well. Things I have already tried:

1) Trashing Prefs, databases, etc.
2) Trashing the I/O Settings folder in the Documents/Pro Tools folder before starting
3) Resetting the HD Omni to factory specs
4) Updating the HD Omni firmware
5) Updating to Pro Tools 2021. I thought this might work, but upon updating, opening the I/O Setup dialog would cause PT to crash. After several hours of getting nowhere with the new version, I reverted to PT 2019, where I could at least get the I/O dialog open. I don't know for sure, but I suspect this issue is what's causing PT 2021 to crash when opening the I/O Settings dialog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg None Monitor 2.jpg (28.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png HW Setup.png (68.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-13-2021, 02:12 PM

Hmmm, I have more questions than answers(and please forgive my ignorance regarding a few things here that don't make sense). Here are things I don't understand(yet):
1-On the IO setup pic, Monitor Path is set to None? Should that not be your usual main output?
2-On the IO setup pic, Audition Path is set to one of the oddball paths. Shouldn't that also be a valid output(usually the "main" outputs)?
3-On the Hardware Setup pic, shouldn't the grid(the checkboxes) have something selected to act as your outputs?
4- I see an HD IO on the hardware page, maybe troubleshooting would be easier if that were disconnected? (probably simply powering that unit off would suffice).
5-What's going on for the Output tab in Hardware Setup?

Just for reference, I attached a pic of my IO output tab(running HDN card and 192 IO)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Output tab.jpg (41.2 KB, 0 views)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-13-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, I have more questions than answers(and please forgive my ignorance regarding a few things here that don't make sense).
Ha ha - no problem!

Quote:
1-On the IO setup pic, Monitor Path is set to None? Should that not be your usual main output?
I'm using Analog Outputs 1-6 on my Omni to feed an analog mixer. I print the main output of the mixer back into Pro Tools, and monitor the return via Outputs 7-8. Normally, I would just configure the Omni to use Outputs 7-8 as the monitor path, but in this case, I want these outputs to feed the Ext Source input on the console for monitoring.

If I make Output 7-8 a CR Monitor Path, then I have the CR Volume knob sitting in between the DA of my Output 7-8 and the Ext Source input on my console, which is something I do not want. I don't want to use the Monitor section of the Omni AT ALL, so I am attempting to bypass it by not assigning any of the outputs a monitor path.

Quote:
2-On the IO setup pic, Audition Path is set to one of the oddball paths. Shouldn't that also be a valid output(usually the "main" outputs)?
Yes, usually it is, but after trying to reset the I/O Settings so many times, I just didn't get around to it before grabbing the pic I posted.

Quote:
3-On the Hardware Setup pic, shouldn't the grid(the checkboxes) have something selected to act as your outputs?
I have selected "None" for both the CR Path and the ALT Path, and have not designated an output for either, because I am not using the monitor section of the Omni. I just want a straight 4-in/8-out converter with nothing in between the DA of the Omni and the input channels on the mixer.

Quote:
4- I see an HD IO on the hardware page, maybe troubleshooting would be easier if that were disconnected? (probably simply powering that unit off would suffice).
Yes, that's my Lynx Aurora. The pic I snapped kind of belies the hours I spent tinkering with everything with it off, as you suggest. Whether it's on or off, the "None Monitor" phenom keeps happening.

Quote:
5-What's going on for the Output tab in Hardware Setup?
On the Analog Output tab, the TRS Mirrors option is set to "None". On the Main tab, each Analog Output is set to 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8.

Quote:
Just for reference, I attached a pic of my IO output tab(running HDN card and 192 IO)
Thanks, Albee. I suspect the issue is related to my bypassing the monitor section of the Omni, and not setting a proper Monitor Path.

That said, I *should* be able to do what I'm trying to do by bypassing it completely. The fact that it creates a new "None Monitor" output that I cannot delete or modify every time I open a new session seems like an odd behavior.

Does anyone have a better method for achieving what I'm trying to do? I essentially want a 4-in/8-out converter with nothing in between the final DA outputs and the console.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:13 PM

In case anyone else falls down this strange Pro Tools vortex, here's how I fixed it:

I created a new session, and chose the "Eleven" option from the IO Settings menu in the "Create New Session" dialog. Curiously, I had tried to do this several times before, but I had always been trying to apply the "Stereo" IO Settings. This would always seem to crash Pro Tools. The only thing I did differently to get it to work was choose the "Eleven" IO Settings, and I also changed the Sample Rate from 48 to 44.1.

I have no idea which of those 2 tweaks, if either, allowed it successfully create a new session with clean IO Settings. Although the settings included in the "Eleven" template were wrong, they were easy enough to fix, and the 600 dreaded, greyed out italicized "None Monitor" outputs that I couldn't previously delete had disappeared from the Output tab in the IO Settings window.

I have now successfully updated to 2021.7 and am moving forward on my ancient, 10-year old MacBook Pro...