How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2017, 04:59 AM

Default Clip Gain loss on Filed Recorded Match Criteria Expand function

Hello,

I am currently using Pro Tools to perform a conformation of an Editing AAF before sound editing, in order to match with all recorder tracks.
I was previously doing this using Pyramix but i figured out the Field Recorder Match Criteria function of ProTools would be way easier.
And it's working very well in my case! I got all the stuff i need and almost everything is conformed from the source Field Recorder Guide Track (Volume, pans, fades...) EXCEPT clip gains!
This is very annoying here because the editor has used clip gains at lower infinite to avoid some sound instead of muting them. So by losing clip gains i also lose some choices made by the editor!
Am i missing something? Is there a way to get the clip gains copied with the Match Criteria Expand to New Tracks function?

I already thought about the possibility to coalesce clip gains to volume on source track before expanding and then convert volumes to clip gains on expanded tracks, but that adds 2 issues :
-If there are already volumes on source track, clip gains and volumes will be mixed up and impossible to separate after.
-With crossfades, the problem is you have normally 2 clip gains (one on each clip). By coalescing to volume the 2 clip gains are mixed on the volume track with 1 information. So when you convert back the volume to clip gain, you get a different clip gain ont the crossfade part (which means clip gain line automated on the clips) which is not what i want neither for practical reasons.

So if someone has an idea, that would be great!
Thanks
Old 11-14-2017, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Clip Gain loss on Filed Recorded Match Criteria Expand function

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.martins View Post
Hello,

I am currently using Pro Tools to perform a conformation of an Editing AAF before sound editing, in order to match with all recorder tracks.
I was previously doing this using Pyramix but i figured out the Field Recorder Match Criteria function of ProTools would be way easier.
And it's working very well in my case! I got all the stuff i need and almost everything is conformed from the source Field Recorder Guide Track (Volume, pans, fades...) EXCEPT clip gains!
This is very annoying here because the editor has used clip gains at lower infinite to avoid some sound instead of muting them. So by losing clip gains i also lose some choices made by the editor!
Am i missing something? Is there a way to get the clip gains copied with the Match Criteria Expand to New Tracks function?

I already thought about the possibility to coalesce clip gains to volume on source track before expanding and then convert volumes to clip gains on expanded tracks, but that adds 2 issues :
-If there are already volumes on source track, clip gains and volumes will be mixed up and impossible to separate after.
-With crossfades, the problem is you have normally 2 clip gains (one on each clip). By coalescing to volume the 2 clip gains are mixed on the volume track with 1 information. So when you convert back the volume to clip gain, you get a different clip gain ont the crossfade part (which means clip gain line automated on the clips) which is not what i want neither for practical reasons.

So if someone has an idea, that would be great!
Thanks
may i ask, how many tracks are we talking about ??? might have an idea of just a Few Tracks but not if there are lots of tracks

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 11-14-2017, 07:33 AM

Hi
Not a lot of tracks in this case but i was also wondering in a more general way.
In this particular case i have 6 tracks coming from editing to expand. The expand track numbers from recorder is generally 8 tracks, but sometimes more (i think 14 is the maximum i've found until now)
Thanks!
J
Old 11-14-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.martins View Post
Hi
Not a lot of tracks in this case but i was also wondering in a more general way.
In this particular case i have 6 tracks coming from editing to expand. The expand track numbers from recorder is generally 8 tracks, but sometimes more (i think 14 is the maximum i've found until now)
Thanks!
J
ok, so not too many tracks .. lets see if i have this all correct ... this is not ideal but ..

duplicate tracks (try with one track to test) and then render Volume to Clip Gain on the Dup'd tracks and then Copy your Volume Automation from the Oirginal Tracks over to the Dup'd tracks .. does this give you the best of both worlds as a workaround ???

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 11-14-2017, 02:10 PM

You're absolutely right. It's a right royal PITA. Also it shows it's head when you use a matching alternate via the field recorder workflow. Means a lot of extra clip gain nudging to bring it back to the way it was before the swap out to another take.

Would be great if we had a pref that would keep clip gain in the same state after the swap.

I'm a dialogue editor and I am in this world of swaps to alternate channels all the time. I feel your pain!

Last edited by Ray JB; 11-15-2017 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-15-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
ok, so not too many tracks .. lets see if i have this all correct ... this is not ideal but ..

duplicate tracks (try with one track to test) and then render Volume to Clip Gain on the Dup'd tracks and then Copy your Volume Automation from the Oirginal Tracks over to the Dup'd tracks .. does this give you the best of both worlds as a workaround ???
Hi thanks but as i explained the conversion from Clip Gain to Volume brings other issues when you have crossfades are if you want to keep your volume line separated from clip gains.
Trying to find another way but thanks anyway!
Old 11-15-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray JB View Post
You're absolutely right. It's a right royal PITA. Also it shows it head when you use a matching alternate via the field recorder workflow. Means a lot of extra clip gain nudging to bring it back to the way it was before the swap out to another take.

Would be great if we had a pref that would keep clip gain in the same state after the swap.

I'm a dialogue editor and I am in this world of swaps to alternate channels all the time. I feel your pain!
Yeah i agree! That would be very useful to have a preference window allowing us to choose what parameters we want to expand on new track (for example Volumes, Pans, Plugins, Clip Gains, Fades).

Maybe in ProTools 13...