Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2010, 07:03 PM

Default Here's A Thought

I love the concept of Pro Tools 9 and I'm thrilled to be getting it soon but we still are stuck with using a dongle which can be inconvenient at times. The whole point of purchasing a Pro Tools interface was that it would authorize Pro Tools for you. I really think they should add the option of either needing your iLok or using an official Pro Tools interface, it's now a feature we have lost and now I''l need to be plugging in my 003 and an iLok key. Just food for thought, what does everyone else think?
Old 11-07-2010, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Here's A Thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus109 View Post
I love the concept of Pro Tools 9 and I'm thrilled to be getting it soon but we still are stuck with using a dongle which can be inconvenient at times. The whole point of purchasing a Pro Tools interface was that it would authorize Pro Tools for you. I really think they should add the option of either needing your iLok or using an official Pro Tools interface, it's now a feature we have lost and now I''l need to be plugging in my 003 and an iLok key. Just food for thought, what does everyone else think?
That only works for the first paid version of the software. After that, you need something to prevent unauthorized use. Serial numbers don't prevent "sharing" and a unique code imbedded in the hardware would prevent transport of the application to other interfaces. Waves used a challenge-response mechanism for a while, and before that used floppy authorization that stored information on the computer somewhere. Neither of these mechanisms were all that robust nor did they easily allow transport of the software to another platform.

Moving a dongle around with your interface or with your computer isn't a big deal if you settle in on some plan that insures the dongle is where you need it to be. I have a system where the dongle lives with my audio hard drive so where ever it goes, so does the dongle. I can install Pro Tools and plug-ins on whatever computer I'm "visiting" and everything just works when I plug in the USB cable (dongle) and FireWire cable (hard drive and interface). Before that, I kept the dongle inside my desktop Mac using a PCI card that had internal USB ports.

The iLok is stable and reliable and offers asset security even if the iLok is stolen (Waves TLC temporary license mechanism and Pace's Zero Downtime.). Give it a try before looking for another mechanism.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:19 PM

More what shamus109 is saying is that the PT interface used to BE the dongle.

Its pretty easy for someones port to get taken up. eg... MIDI Keys, interface, mouse dongle, external hard drive (coz you cant use your internal with PT - for good reasons).

I have clients either that bring in needed audio on USB flash drives and/or want to plug their phone into USB to charge. So for us with an Avid interface, its nice if that is also the dongle.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:25 AM

I remember, that someone wrote, that you can actually remove the iLock, after PT is started, in case, you need that USB-Port
Old 11-08-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
I remember, that someone wrote, that you can actually remove the iLock, after PT is started, in case, you need that USB-Port
I, had, never, heard, that. I, will, try, it.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:36 AM

You need to keep the iLok inserted for PT9 at all times.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-08-2010, 01:19 AM

Yeah, seems they're all getting savvy to that, some of the plugins now too poll the system occasionally checking for the iLok.

I don't mind that you'll have to have an ilLok, i just want the NEW iLok that will hold all 250 of my licenses on one!
Old 11-08-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut View Post
You need to keep the iLok inserted for PT9 at all times.

Rail
someone in another thread said earlier today they only needed it to start pt9.. ymmv

PTMP 8.0.1 // FLStudio 9 // WinXP SP3 // Axiom Pro 49 // Delta 44 // Mackie HR624 // AKG K701 // Emu 6400 Classic
Old 11-08-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
someone in another thread said earlier today they only needed it to start pt9.. ymmv
My moneys on Rail

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-08-2010, 10:55 AM

If you remove the ilok it works for a while but it asks for it eventually