Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2010, 07:07 PM

Thumbs down Upgrade / Crossgrade Prices

So, dear AVID, you say you've been listening, do you?

Well, you've obviously NOT been listening to the LE and M-Powered users, now, have you?
  • £200+ to 'cross-grade' from LE;
  • Almost £300 to 'cross-grade' from M-Powered.

Ah, well, just as well I'm predominantly a Cubase 5 user (Steinberg since Pro-24 on the Atari, in fact) and, despite pricing issues and stumbles along the way, they've constantly innovated and have tended to listen. This is brand loyalty you could only dream of.

So, it looks like ProTools M-Powered v8 will be the end of the line for me. Really? £300 to 'cross-grade' when there's absolutely no alternative option but to remain with v8? I think not.

It's the same with Pinnacle ... which is why that now sits on the shelf too. Far too expensive to maintain. Soon I'll be in an AVID-free environment and my systems will likely prove that bit more stable too. At least I won't have to wait longingly for the latest version to ensure I don't have crashes at the most inopportune of moments and that the most basic of bugs are cured.

Bye, bye, AVID; it's been (not so) nice knowing you.

PS I like the fact that delay compensation is being marketed as such a big improvement to functionality, given the competition have had this feature for ages. Well done, AVID, you must be so proud of your achievement!
Old 11-06-2010, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Upgrade / Crossgrade Prices

Yeah, $350 to cross grade for M-Powered and $250 for LE? come on. I'll use what I've got, and if the time comes when I really NEED an upgrade, I'll be sure to look at everything on the market. It is going to be a matter of NEED. Right now I don't NEED. I just hope they continue to support M-Powered 8.

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
Old 11-07-2010, 04:52 AM

This is exactly how I feel. $249 for LE is, well, digestable, if you gotta do what you gotta do, but the extra hundred for M-Powered is like a slap in the face. And all that for features that every other major DAW has included for years. It just blows my mind.

I started using Presonus Studio One earlier this year as an alternative DAW, and to allow me to be free from the interface dongle, and give me some ADC as well. And although I really like it, I prefer Pro Tools in most respects. I've used PT for about 10 years, so I just really know it.

It's a shame that PT9 is pretty much telling me to take a hike with it's price point. I've been a loyal user since buying my Digi001 back in the day. Since then I've paid for every upgrade, and since switching to M-Powered at version 7.3, I've purchased about 4-5 M-Audio interfaces. And now they want another $349 to just bring their features up even with Sonar, Studio One, Cubase, etc?

Disappointed is the only word. I love Pro Tools, but this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:33 AM

Guys, those of us who already own PTHD8 have to pay more than you to get to 9 and we invested a LOT more money in our systems.
The crossgrade price is very low IMO.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:08 PM

$250 or $350 for the ability to use Pro Tools with any interface? ADC, 32 I/O, 256 busses, more tracks/voices, aggregate devices....

Most people paid several thousand for these features with HD... and people are still complaining about $250?

C'mon now...

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-07-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Most people paid several thousand for these features with HD... and people are still complaining about $250?

C'mon now...
um, no we're complaining about being charged $100 more for the same product.. this is the mpowered forum, in case you didn't realize

c'mon now...

PTMP 8.0.1 // FLStudio 9 // WinXP SP3 // Axiom Pro 49 // Delta 44 // Mackie HR624 // AKG K701 // Emu 6400 Classic
Old 11-07-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
um, no we're complaining about being charged $100 more for the same product.. this is the mpowered forum, in case you didn't realize

c'mon now...
Sorry... $350...

There are more options available now to M-Powered that were only avaiable to LE users. Justifies the price difference to me.

As always... if you don't like it... don't buy it.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-07-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
There are more options available now to M-Powered that were only avaiable to LE users. Justifies the price difference to me.
without any of the toolkits, the differences are extremely minor.. the difference in price isn't justified to me at all, especially considering LE and MP sell for the same amount (not counting the cost of hardware)

Quote:
As always... if you don't like it... don't buy it.
i'm not planning on it right now.. $350 is a bit steep for the feature set. yes it's a lot of stuff, but seriosly, it's 2010, most of the new things are standard features in every daw.. add to that the fact that i'm getting the shaft for $100 extra dollars compared to LE users, makes me not want to give my money to avid

but just like you, i will continue to express my opinion regarding the price

PTMP 8.0.1 // FLStudio 9 // WinXP SP3 // Axiom Pro 49 // Delta 44 // Mackie HR624 // AKG K701 // Emu 6400 Classic
Old 11-08-2010, 12:56 PM

again, you get even more bang for the buck...and excellent video editing capabilities with Sony Vegas (or Acid).

PT8 was only purchased for those certain foolish monkeys who requested it for sessions. Too few and far between anyways. PT8 is just fine, no need to upgrade at that price.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm View Post
Guys, those of us who already own PTHD8 have to pay more than you to get to 9 and we invested a LOT more money in our systems.
The crossgrade price is very low IMO.
The difference is the majority of HD studios are for-profit studios, whereas a lot of LE and MP studios are project/hobby studios quite possibly making no income from the music made with the software. The crossgrade price is low in your opinion because it's an investment to you which will bring a return. For project/hobby studios, that's often not the case.