Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2011, 12:12 PM

Default MIDI will record, play back, but won't show on meter or mix window

I have a strange prob on my old G5 (see entire setup below). Midi will record, and play back on/through my keyboards, and the notes are visible on the Edit Window.

But -- the volume meter shows nothing [no volume level on record or playback on MIDI track and AUX track] and I hear nothing when auditioning the aux track. Nor will the keyboard be audible thru the Aux track, although it is audible in its headphone jack.

REALLY strange: while recording and playing back (successfully) a MIDI test track in a loop, and hitting the "play" button **while the loop is playing,** I'll hear a quick burst of that part of the clip on the AUX track -- 1/10 second -- and then silence again, even as the loop keeps playing.

The same with Instrument track MIDI tracks. They record, and will play back on my Korg keyboard -- I can hear the tune on the Korg's headphone output. But I can't hear it on the Aux output -- unless I hit "play" while the loop is playing: that very brief burst of the track (playing the note at that point) is all I hear.

This occurs on a new session, one Midi track, with no plug-ins to interfere.

I've gone through DIGI's list of corrections, trashed preferences, volumes, and other troubleshooting actions, but haven't uninstalled and reinstalled PT LE 7.1. (I'm not sure how to).

By the way, if I load an **old** session that has MIDI files, they play and respond to the keyboard normally. This problem exists only with new sessions. I've set up the I/O in exactly the same way to A-B the problem, and it is consistent.

Thanks for any help,

Blue Ridge

MacBook Pro i7, 1TB SSD OSX 10.9.5
Glyph 1tb External HD 7200
002, Mbox Mini (both still working on OSX 10.9.5)
(Mbox records well, static on playback. Output works through MBP headphone jack)
External Acer 23" Screen

Still waiting to choose and to install PT 10-11-12

Old system (still running):

Mac G5 Dual 2.0, 5.5 gig memory
160 (main) & 80 (audio) gig internal hd's
OSX 10.4.11
PTLE 7.1,CS10,
002 Console
Reason 3.0, Live 5.2.2
Old 07-09-2011, 03:08 PM

Default Re: MIDI will record, play back, but won't show on meter or mix window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge View Post
hitting the "play" button **while the loop is playing,**
What play button are you talking about? How are you hitting play if the ProTools transport is already playing?

Your question is very confusing, maybe post a screenshot to photobucket showing your mix window...
Old 07-10-2011, 01:16 PM

Default Re: MIDI will record, play back, but won't show on meter or mix window

Sorry, the problem itself is confusing. As of today, 24 hours after first post, it is also Maddeningly intermittent.

I am running Pro Tools LE 7.1 cs 10 on the G5 (details below).

What works:

I can successfully record from an outboard keyboard onto a new MIDI track. MIDI notes appear on the edit window, and play back through an outboard Korg workstation.

What doesn't work:

On the Mix window, before recording but with MIDI track armed, and playing notes on Korg 01/W MIDI keyboard controller:

-- no volume level appears on the MIDI track

-- the AUX track shows no volume and there is no audible signal.

When I hit "record":

MIDI notes appear in Edit view. The notes are recording correctly.

After I record:

MIDI notes will play (thru MIDI OUT) on the outboard Korg

MIDI Volume does not register on the Mix Window volume level while playing the MIDI track

Other oddities:

After recording the MIDI test track, I play it in a loop by hitting the "play"button.

Yes: **while the loop is playing,** I hear no signal on the AUX track --

UNLESS:

I click the "play" button WHILE PLAYING THE LOOP: then I hear

a quick burst of the current note(s) of the MIDI clip on the AUX track -- 1/10 second -- and then silence again, even as the loop keeps looping.

Summation: It's clearly a glitch. If it's in Pro Tools, and not in my 7-year-old but dependable G5, What is the best way to uninstall Pro Tools 7.1 cs 10 and reinstall without losing sessions, plug-ins, etc?

Many thanks

Blue Ridge

MacBook Pro i7, 1TB SSD OSX 10.9.5
Glyph 1tb External HD 7200
002, Mbox Mini (both still working on OSX 10.9.5)
(Mbox records well, static on playback. Output works through MBP headphone jack)
External Acer 23" Screen

Still waiting to choose and to install PT 10-11-12

Old system (still running):

Mac G5 Dual 2.0, 5.5 gig memory
160 (main) & 80 (audio) gig internal hd's
OSX 10.4.11
PTLE 7.1,CS10,
002 Console
Reason 3.0, Live 5.2.2