Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 AM

Smile Do the CS3 update and clean all the prefs

I was having nothing but problems with Pro Tools 8 LE on my G5 dual 1.8 with Leopard 10.5.7. Crashing during bounces, in general sluggishness, a long hang up after a bounce or esc out of a bounce. Sometimes pluggins GUI wouldn't come up right.

Anyway, i was about ready to throw it all away and go back to 7.4. I got the cs3 update and the proper database and pref trasher http://www.jcdeshaies.com/ for Leopard. and in that utility trashed EVERYTHING possible. Next thing you know, bam, wham magic. Running like a champ. I've been putting it through the paces for the past 4 hours and no glitches or weird things. Even the 20 minute session that would NOT bounce last night...that was fun.

Point is, do the update and clean some garbage out...Pro Tools 8 might not be a lost cause yet.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Do the CS3 update and clean all the prefs

same here i keep getting crashes. like i'll make a song using aux,audio, midi ect. and after working in a session 2 or 3 times i pull it back up it locks up and i get the spinney ball and it seems to lose contact with my digi 002... i know it has the power harness issue but its up and running and work on any new clean session just not previous ones i worked on. i just did the cs3 update and used that utility. i'm running a quad core pro and 5.7 so hope this works. next step is to reseat my board if this doesn't work. never had this many issues with 5.5/ only started adter all versions after.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:09 PM

OMG! you are my hero! i thought it might be my digi002 acting up again but it's been working otherwise and this saved it! i STRONGLY recommend everyone to get cs3 and use the utility provided in this thread and check everything to trash. working like a charm! THANKS!
Old 06-19-2009, 10:13 PM

Why is this better than just trashing prefs manually, if necessary?
Old 06-20-2009, 01:51 AM

Because it never forget to trash every piece of it, it can automatically trash not only the prefs, but databases, coreaudio osx things, which can cause many trouble in my experience.
Once in a while, when I'm doing a complete maintenance, I trash everything with the helper app, and go from there.
My pt8 cs3 is rock stable. I'm very happy with this update.
Tamas Dragon
Old 06-21-2009, 06:11 PM

Hi,

I did this. Thanks! First I was cloning my system on a external drive and started my Macbook from the clone. I did all the OS X updates (from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7, etc...), the cs3 was already installed. I used the pref. trasher app and everything was fine! I actually had the impression that the cs3 was improving PT stability before trashing the pref. Anyway, after some testes with both PT and Logic, I decided to do the exact same update to my main (original) disc. So, in stead of "cloning back", I started my computer from the main drive and did the updates above all over again.
It went fine, BUT, this time, ALL my IK Multimedia plug-ins asked me to register again!
I've got the original SampleTank, Philharmonic, Amplitube LE (comming with M-box Pro buntle), Sonik Synth, T-Racks, so I didn't want to spend time again and register some products they already has been registred. So I put back the DAE folder into the Preferances folder, restart the computer and I was back in bussines...
Strange...This "thing" affected not only the RTAS plug-ins but also the AU plug-ins in Logic!
And what's also (even more) strange is that when I trash the preferances the first time (on the clone HD), everything worked without any troubles at all...
Some ideas?

Thanks!