Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-18-2000, 04:56 PM

Default ram requirements?

i just ordered 2 64mb ram for my machine, this will uprgrade my 96 to 224. will i be able to play back more than ten tracks at a time? i have a 24 track session (21 audio tracks- 2 auxes- 1 master) but only have ten tracks plaing at one time. anymore and i get a disc to slow message. back in powermix days i could playback 16 tracks with no problem on a very fragged drive. i can't even bounce this session now. it has one dverb rtas, and two one band eq's rtas. all other effects are printed. my disc buffer is 1024, cpu is 75% and dae buffer is '2'. in powermix it was '8' but i don't have enough ram to have it at '8' now. i have successfully mixed an 8 track session with one rtas dverb, one long delay, 2 limiters, one compressor and one four band eq. and that worked fine. is the ram upgrade enough? or do i need another drive also?
pt5.0le
8600/300 96mb (224 soon)
2 4 gig fireball
2 monitors
am3
os8.6
sony 948s burner
Old 01-19-2000, 10:40 AM
Avid

Default Re: ram requirements?

Coaster,

Are your fireball drives 5400 rpm drives and are they attatched internally or are they connected to the mac external scsi bus.

Whether you're doing 16 or 24 bit audio you should consider having at least 7200 rpm drives - and if possible, on your machine you may want to consider having one of these drives mounted internally since the 8600 has faster scsi on the internal bus. The ram will definatly come in handy for you but "fast" drives will help your audio playback problems directly.

B Carter
Digidesign

[This message has been edited by DigiTechSupt (edited January 19, 2000).]
Old 01-19-2000, 05:19 PM

Default Re: ram requirements?

b carter,
i'm not sure about the internal's rpm but i believe the external is a 7200 rpm. it is signifigantly faster than the internal when copying files and can support more audio tracks at a time. i typicaly don't use the internal for anything but word proccessing ect. i have seriously considered swapping my internal jazz drive (i don't use it) with my external hd for speed concerns, but at work the external jazz drives we have get very hot and fail occasionaly. the internal jazz does not get hot. i use to use these types of discs for transport of files but i now usually just carry my hd as it is faster, larger, and more reliable. when i get the ram upgrade i am assuming i can increase my dae buffer back to 8 and this should solve some problems while mixing. (?)
i have another question, however:
in pt 4.3.2 i found that sessions with large track counts would have problems recording as i got more and more tracks. one workaround was to mute unneccesary tracks or turn them off. this would reduce the load on the hd and i could continue working. while mixing i would turn these tracks back on and all would be fine. now with 5.0le, i don't seem to be able to turn tracks off at all for this purpose. if i mute all but one track, the muted tracks are apparently still being read and proccessed as the pre-fader meters, send meters, and plug ins are still active although no sound is routed. is there a way to turn tracks off completely so that they are not being read? (this is important!)
sorry, one more question:
dfx still does not load presets on my machine. it hasn't for about a year. i understand that this is a bug, but when i went to work today i opened up our pt 4.3 (yes, only 4.3) on a g3 and the dfx presets loaded fine, and the input sum button did not result in distortion. as you may know, my colleague who has the same setup as myself (8600/300) with 4.3.2 (not 5.0le yet) has his dfx presets loading fine as well. my presets did not load on 4.3.2, 4.3.1, 4.3, or 4.2 but they did load in 4.1.1 and as early as 4.0 (back in the day). if this is a bug, why are these two systems working flawlessly? is there something i can do to get mine to work?
thanks for your response. btw i think pt5.0le is a vast upgrade to 4.3.2 and i am very impressed with it. unfortunatley i can't get anybody else i know to use it on their machines. they seem upset over the SMPTE thing which they don't use anyway (at least not the grid-i can still lock mine to da88's)
thanks-
coaster