Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-15-2003, 05:51 PM

Default Anyone Digi Certified?

Hi, I recently took the Digidesign certification courses and will be taking the exam soon. Has anyone out there done this? I've heard the exam is a real bitch (tricky questions ect...) The classes were great by the way... worth every penny.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Anyone Digi Certified?

I was certified at The Conservatory of Recording Arts & Sciences in Tempe, AZ a couple of years back. I was very new to ProTools back then, so the classes I took WERE very helpful, however I have since learned infinite times as much since the time I was officially "certified." I feel like the whole certification thing was kind of a joke. I know others that have been "Certified" that probably couldn't even set up a reverb send on an aux track. At the same time though, on my business card, the title under my name is: "Certified Pro Tools Operator" and it raises eyebrows everytime [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .
Old 04-15-2003, 09:20 PM

Haven't done the Digi course, but after 6 years of tech support - I'm certifiable!!

" I'd settle for a cup of coffee, but you know what I really need."

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 04-16-2003, 06:21 AM

I agree...the official "certification" courses are overated and WAY overpriced. Knowledge is where it is at....

A good alternative is the online Berklee courses (which are a 1/4 of the price), or you could just read the textbook "Producing in the Home Studio with Pro Tools", which is excellent. Hanging out on the DUC taught me much, as well...

BTW...Berklee also offers a so-called "certification" certificate upon completion of their courses...I am very skeptical about any certificate's usefulness in the industry. In my experience, it's your work and personality that hold the most value in terms of securing jobs and making contacts.

Peace!
Old 04-17-2003, 07:06 AM

Burner is right. Certification doesn't mean much without practical experience. Raised eybrows hit the floor when you don't know what phantom power is.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:43 AM

...Certified...thats a JOKE...I have been working in the industry for 2 years now...and I run circles around people here...and they have been using ProTools since Version 4....All my friends are certified and NONE Of them are working in the industry....A title on my business card is nothing...It says My Name and "Audio Engineer" thats all it needs to say.....
I make beats - Love that line
Old 04-17-2003, 11:29 PM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

I agree that knowledge is more important than "certification", but it can get your foot in the door in some situations. I was also certified at the Conservatory a couple of years ago (Mentalmusic- what class were you in; AM/PM, etc.), but have learned mucho since!
If I were to recommend a book, (other than the manual, which is very good) it would be the Roback (author) book over the Franz book (I have both). It goes into far more detail than the Franz book... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]