Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2010, 01:23 PM

Default Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Buying several Mbox PT 8 upgrades @ $150 each then finding out a few days later I could have bought PT 9 upgrades for $250.00 each.
What's fair about that?
Why, did the release of 9 cause your 8 upgrades to revert to 7 or 6 or whatever you upgraded from? You bought 8, you have 8. What's unfair about that?

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 11-09-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtube View Post
The issue that started this whole thread is that Avid overnight put out a new product that rendered their other products (that we just bought from them too recently to even begin to amortize)... OBSOLETE (read this a couple of times!)
I, for one, do not think that the release of PT9 makes PT 8 obsolete. I will continue to use it for a few more months as there are many users on here who still use 7.4 and earlier. I think the important thing to remember is that your version of PT will still work and no one is holding a gun to your head to make you change.
Eleven Rack, Axiom 61
Old 11-09-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjembe mutombo View Post
... and own KRKs. If you are truly an "audio engineer" then you should be throwing around $250 like it is chump change.
Hey! I own KRK's, lol...but I truely believe the price is great, actually I was caught by surprise with the release of PT 9, and when I saw the new features, I couldn't believe how inexpensive it was. Don't tell Avid.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Buying several Mbox PT 8 upgrades @ $150 each then finding out a few days later I could have bought PT 9 upgrades for $250.00 each.
What's fair about that?
I'll agree with the first point " It's not perfect"
My understanding is that your scenario is the only one where Digi is offering the 99.00 upgrade to PT9. If they were purchased in the grace period you should be getting a email.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-09-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
My understanding is that your scenario is the only one where Digi is offering the 99.00 upgrade to PT9. If they were purchased in the grace period you should be getting a email.
Yes, I heard that too. Max said this is for the folks that bought the $150. upgrades to PT8 since Oct. 4. They get the $99. deal. We thought this would be fair, I'm glad they went this way.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-09-2010, 02:55 PM

From the FAQ,

Q: If I recently purchased a Pro Tools LE software upgrade—how do I obtain Pro Tools 9? (FAQ added 11/9/2010)
A: Customers who purchased and activated the $149 (USD) Pro Tools LE software upgrade between October 4, 2010 and November 4, 2010 are eligible for a special promotional offer. Eligible customers will receive an email containing a serialized code good for one-time use on a promotional cross grade offer discounted at 60% off MSRP (~$99). Emails are expected to begin going out to eligible customers later this week.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-09-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote from Max Gutnick in another thread.

"Hi everyone,

I'm happy to share (again) that Avid will offer a promotional cross grade to anyone who purchased and activated the $149 (USD) Pro Tools LE software upgrade between October 4, 2010 and November 4, 2010.

Eligible customers will receive an email containing a serialized code good for one-time use on a promotional cross grade offer discounted at 60% off MSRP(~$99). Emails are expected to be delivered the week of November 7, 2010.

I apologize for the earlier confusion surrounding this promo. While we always try to ensure a grace period for customers who buy/upgrade within a timeframe, we realized pretty late in the game that we had overlooked the experience of customers who would have recently paid for an LE 8 upgrade. If you just spent $149 on an LE 8 upgrade, asking for an additional $249 for Pro Tools 9 the next day would be a bit unfair, since you’d have gotten the same deal cross grading from LE version 7.

We knew we were going to make this available, but at the press conference the promotion was still being finalized, and some confusion ensued. I’m happy to report the promotion is now ready to go and those who are eligible will start receiving emails this week.

Again, this applies to those who recently purchased a Pro Tools LE 8 software upgrade, not to the purchase of Pro Tools LE hardware systems. Anyone who recently purchased, or is considering purchasing a Pro Tools LE hardware system and takes advantage of the Pro Tools 9 cross grade offer will spend less than if they wait to purchase the systems bundles with Pro Tools 9 in 2011, so that’s a good deal too.

Best,
Max

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-09-2010, 03:08 PM

Avid is becoming a case study in how to do it right. Who knew?

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 11-09-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Since DVTK was integrated into Pro Tools 9, M-Powered owners who couldn't have it before, now get it with their upgrade. Since some LE owners may have already had it, we wanted to take that into account,
i guess it's a lot easier for you guys to just have an LE and a MP crossgrade, but it would seem "more fair" to simply give DVTK owners a discount on the crossgrade, instead of all LE users

Quote:
We welcome feedback, but going around in circles with this isn't going to change anything. I understand your frustration and wish I could do something about it, but I can't.
thanks for listening.. obviously we can't expect you guys to change the pricing structure, especially after only a few days

I first got into PT with PT8, so my purchase wasn't that long ago. I chose MP because i already owned an maudio interface and didn't plan on buying an of the toolkits. if I had known two years ago that the upgrade to PT9 would be $100 cheaper, i would have picked LE with an mbox mini. .. i know, small potatoes compared to the people who wouldn't have bought expensive interfaces and whatnot.. but for a lot of MP owners who are more likely to be hobbyists, that extra $100 wont always as easy to part with

also, i'm sure you guys realize this, but you can easily buy PTLE8 for $250 with the mbox micro right now. then buy the LE crossgrade to PT9 for $250, for a total of $500...

PTMP 8.0.1 // FLStudio 9 // WinXP SP3 // Axiom Pro 49 // Delta 44 // Mackie HR624 // AKG K701 // Emu 6400 Classic
Old 11-09-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
also, i'm sure you guys realize this, but you can easily buy PTLE8 for $250 with the mbox micro right now. then buy the LE crossgrade to PT9 for $250, for a total of $500...
$250 for a micro! you can get them all day brand new for $149 w/PT8 $199 for a mini w/pt8. And if you go to a store that does Price beating you can get them even less.... you can do the same with the crossgrade box...

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio