Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2023, 05:04 PM

Default Re: New Mac Studios AND an AS Mac Pro!

I can also sell you customized stickers to make the apple logo any color you want. Cheap prices! Only 1000 for first one, then 100 discount for additional items until you buy 5 for 4k and I throw in extra 5 for free.
Old 06-07-2023, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Expansion chassis' has always been expensive. These ARM pro's however are not as ridiculously overpriced than the last Intels.
Yep. Fully maxed pro is just over 12k. I know some people were paying 16k plus for the intel version that was at the low end of things.
Almost every plugin
Old 06-07-2023, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
This new ilk of Mac Pros, whatever we're calling them these days, has felt foreign its entire life. It has the Apple logo but it's uncharacteristically Apple, and perhaps even more so today.
Ultra CheeseGraders? My old Cheesegrader is still purring along. But both the Ultra and the New Studio Max(or whatever it is called) do look tempting.

However do to the Writers strike and pending SAG strike, there shall be NO upgrades.
Almost every plugin
Old 06-07-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Double? It does boat loads more than double PCIe bandwidth. A Thunderbolt 3/4 expansion chassis has 4 x PCIe 3 land of bandwidth.

If early reports that the new Mac Pro has 6 open slots at 2 x 16 PCIe 4 lane slots and 4 x 8 PCIe 4 lanes are correct then that a M2 Mac Pro has 2 * (( 2 * 16) + (4 * 8)) / 4 = 32 times the internal PCIe IO bandwidth of a Thunderbolt 3/4 chasssus (irregardless of how many slots it has).
That's fast sir!
Almost every plugin
Old 06-07-2023, 06:45 PM

SO maybe I am blind, well that is an actual fact but I didn't "see" that you could put any internal drives in the the Mac Pro.

I know it is all external, but it would be nice to be able to put static drives for samples, and libraries inside and not have to worry about them getting tangled up in the million cords aspect.

Is there space or no?
Almost every plugin
Old 06-07-2023, 07:24 PM

Of course there is space. What do you think this Mac Pro was designed for? It's a fancy Mac Studio in a big case with lots of well designed expansion in the box. Lots of PCIe lanes, lots of space, lots well done cooling, etc. That's its whole point. Oh yes and it has optional wheels as well... like folks can make fun of it but it is what it is, and is that for very specific uses.

Modern "drives" are M.2 SSD drives they mount directly on the PCIe M.2 adapter cards you can put in all those PCIe slots. Up to With capacities of 2, 4, 8 or 16TB per PCIe slot depending on M.2 drive size (2TB or 4TB per M.2 drives). Want to max it out today* with M.2 you can easily go to 64TB of M.2 SSD And nice total available PCIe 4 bandwidth of 2GB/sec * ((16 * 2) + (8 * 4)) = 128 GB/sec.

* Today may rely on a vendor providing PCIe 4 switch based M.2 adapter cards. Which I hope won't be long coming.

Higher density (and per drive performance) is possible with enterprise class PCIe slot based SSD drives. At much higher cost than M.2 SSD drives.

The M2 Mac Pro also features SATA motherboard headers and mounting points for optional SATA card cages the same as the previous Intel Mac Pro did. Should anybody want legacy SATA HDDs (or SATA SSDs... but don't go there as the M.2 price/performance just kills SATA SSDs) internally.

Other mounting options for U.2 SSDs and more will likely be coming.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-07-2023 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Of course there is space. What do you think this Mac Pro was designed for? It's a fancy Mac Studio in a big case with lots of well designed expansion in the box. Lots of PCIe lanes, lots of space, lots well done cooling, etc. That's its whole point. Oh yes and it has optional wheels as well... like folks can make fun of it but it is what it is, and is that for very specific uses.

Modern "drives" are M.2 SSD drives they mount directly on the PCIe M.2 adapter cards you can put in all those PCIe slots. Up to With capacities of 2, 4, 8 or 16TB per PCIe slot depending on M.2 drive size (2TB or 4TB per M.2 drives). Want to max it out today* with M.2 you can easily go to 64TB of M.2 SSD And nice total available PCIe 4 bandwidth of 2GB/sec * ((16 * 2) + (8 * 4)) = 128 GB/sec.

* Today may rely on a vendor providing PCIe 4 switch based M.2 adapter cards. Which I hope won't be long coming.

Higher density (and per drive performance) is possible with enterprise class PCIe slot based SSD drives. At much higher cost than M.2 SSD drives.

The M2 Mac Pro also features SATA motherboard headers and mounting points for optional SATA card cages the same as the previous Intel Mac Pro did. Should anybody want legacy SATA HDDs (or SATA SSDs... but don't go there as the M.2 price/performance just kills SATA SSDs) internally.

Other mounting options for U.2 SSDs and more will likely be coming.
I really meant more of a sled but PCIe SSD great. But extremely expensive.
Almost every plugin
Old 06-07-2023, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
I really meant more of a sled but PCIe SSD great. But extremely expensive.
If you want an drive sled you buy the same (Promise OEM) SATA drive sled as used on the previous Mac Pro.

Is there something in the DUC water recently you folks are drinking? Causes sudden extreme confusion about technical topics?

NAND SSD is NOT "extremely expensive"

There is a huge NAND market oversupply. A 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD is $129 for a drive that can do near 7GB/sec sequential read I/O.

Explain to me how that could possibly be "extremely expensive".

And an attraction of the M2 Mac Pro is those of us that want/need lots of fast storage can now add that to a computer and get performance you can't get out of Thunderbolt expansion chassis and without paying Apple stupid SSD prices. (Yes you just pay the Mac Pro stupid price, but it's all a trade off the buyer gets to make).
Old 06-08-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Oh please Kevin. I said it was a rant. Feel free to tell me you've never done the same. Disingenuous? Just knock it off dude.

C
Yes you explained after the fact

But the unqualified statement "It's a $3,000 PCI expansion chassis!" kinda sounds a lot like click bait nonsense, so yes disingenuous is not really all that out of line . Had you offered the explanation in that first post , that you gave quoting my Dell example we would not be discussing anything --juss sayin.. In fact your qualification statement I personally would tend to agree with for my use , given that I really do not require on board PCIe slots

Of course I have gone on a rant. BUT there are rants and then there are rants. If someone cuts you off in traffic talking or texting on their cell phone that is one thing. Then there are "rants" that are altogether something different

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 06-08-2023 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Coincidentally, I saw two different articles today, both attempting to summarize the difference between the new MacPro and MacStudio for Laymen. In essence, they listed four advantages to the MP: wheels, case, more ports, PCI slots. If you need wheels, a case, more ports or PCI slots, I suppose the MP is your thing.
And better cooling and it looks like maybe the onboard SSD storage is user upgradable after the fact

This just popped up on YouTube

https://youtu.be/uZAcJoL0rpA

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...