Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2022, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Serato Pitch n Time

I always liked P&T and miss having it in my arsenal.
Old 12-12-2022, 10:51 AM

We're still using it here on various Intel and Apple Silicon machines on both Mojave and Monterey. It's still working fine under Rosetta 2. It's a mainstay of our sound design team, and we use it for dialog and to pitch music stems sometimes too.

We have started looking for something to replace it moving forward, as we will all be eventually transitioning to Apple Silicon hardware and Pro Tools AS native versions. Unfortunately, we haven't really found anything that ticks all the boxes in terms of both sonic quality and workflow. The Variable tabs that let you draw in a curve, the various algorithms, the ability to measure in BPM, timecode, samples, mins/sec, etc. the capture selection length, etc. are all really important workflow features for us.

Does anybody have any ideas of other plugins to check out the might tick these boxes?

Thanks!!
Old 12-12-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
We're still using it here on various Intel and Apple Silicon machines on both Mojave and Monterey. It's still working fine under Rosetta 2. It's a mainstay of our sound design team, and we use it for dialog and to pitch music stems sometimes too.

We have started looking for something to replace it moving forward, as we will all be eventually transitioning to Apple Silicon hardware and Pro Tools AS native versions. Unfortunately, we haven't really found anything that ticks all the boxes in terms of both sonic quality and workflow. The Variable tabs that let you draw in a curve, the various algorithms, the ability to measure in BPM, timecode, samples, mins/sec, etc. the capture selection length, etc. are all really important workflow features for us.

Does anybody have any ideas of other plugins to check out the might tick these boxes?

Thanks!!
I'm starting to lean more on Melodyne for particular things since I don't expect PnT to get ported to Silicon.
Old 12-12-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Thanks!!
I've been getting along well with X-Form, though I tend to use it more for time adjustments than pitch. Still, it's solid.

And if you're pitching music tracks, please make an effort to have the music house do this from their original session. As a music house guy, I've heard our music contorted poorly and unnecessarily (which is not to suggest that you would do this) by post houses. I know it's not always possible, but it's so much easier and far better, sonically, to handle this with the original source files/MIDI. I cover post, too, and understand that that's not always possible with clients' demands and tight deadlines, just throwing it out there for when it's possible. The music creators won't always agree with the track getting a key change, but they would always appreciate the chance to make the adjustment if it's going to happen.
Old 12-13-2022, 02:14 AM

I've been using X-form as a replacement and the quality is good, but it is definitely a lot slower to process anything. Pitch n Time would be great to get back, but unless they confirm Apple Silicon, I'm not going to throw even more money at it on the update.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Thanks!!
I've found Waves Soundshifter to be the nearest replacement to PnT. About the same speed, same options in terms of being able to do pitch or time or both with fixed values or drawn graphs. And I couldn't really tell any sonic difference in the results on music material. If there were a difference, it'd be subjective and just down to taste or opinions. And it was only $29.

I also tried zplane elastique but that one did seem more artifacty to me.

My bets are on PnT Pro being dead. Serato has ghosted us.
Old 12-31-2022, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogboy100 View Post
I've found Waves Soundshifter to be the nearest replacement to PnT. About the same speed, same options in terms of being able to do pitch or time or both with fixed values or drawn graphs. And I couldn't really tell any sonic difference in the results on music material. If there were a difference, it'd be subjective and just down to taste or opinions. And it was only $29.
Thanks for the info about Waves Soundshifter.
I've just being trying the demo. Excellent sound quality!

Working well in Pro Tools 2022.12 Public Beta on my Mac Mini M1 - only a short test.

Demo
https://www.waves.com/plugins/sounds...different-bpms

$24.99 - normal price $149.
Sale ends on January 1st - 10am GMT.
Old 12-31-2022, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard901 View Post
Thanks for the info about Waves Soundshifter.
I've just being trying the demo. Excellent sound quality!

Working well in Pro Tools 2022.12 Public Beta on my Mac Mini M1 - only a short test.

Demo
https://www.waves.com/plugins/sounds...different-bpms

$24.99 - normal price $149.
Sale ends on January 1st - 10am GMT.
I find Soundshifter very good at pitch, but less good at time - it wasn't as good as X-Form for me for basic TC/E chores. I got élastiqueAAX in a sale, and that's excellent. Thread on it here - https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=422556

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-31-2022, 02:31 AM

These differences may be important for some users:

Pitch 'n Time Pro
1/8 speed to 8x speed
±36 semitones

Soundshifter
1/2 to 2x speed
± 12 semitones

Last edited by Richard901; 12-31-2022 at 05:26 AM.
Old 12-31-2022, 08:10 AM

Yeah Soundshifter has its uses but is no replacement for PnT.

ElastiqueAAX seems like a contender.