Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2008, 07:51 AM

Default Track alignment using TimeAdjuster plug

Got a concert recording using a A-B omnipair as main mikes, then 4-5 additional close mikes for support. So, when mixtime I usually timeadjust the supportmikes just by ear - using the TimeAdjuster plug. You can usually hear when the close mikes get "glued" together with the A-B pair. But on the material I'm working on now, it's hard. I guess it's time to learn the math, so please correct me if I'm wrong here....

Ok - indoor conditions will be 344 meters/sec (sorry, using feet will just confuse me...) - or 0,344 mtr/ms. Then if a distance from the center of the A-B pair to one of the supportmikes are 7 meters (7 : 0,344) that will be 20,35ms of delay to compensate. But the TimeAdjuster just show Samples as measurement (or have I overlooked something??). Recording done in fs 88.2 (samples/ms) - so that should be as easy as 88,2 x 20,35 = 1795 samples...

Can anybody confirm that my math are correct? Thanks.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Track alignment using TimeAdjuster plug

I am not sure if this will be a help to you but here it goes;

I record the band that I work for on all of our tours through PT HD2 Accell system. I am tracking 44 close mics and 4 ambient mics.

When I get back to the studio to do the mixing of our shows for release there is an obvious time differance between the close mics and the positioning of my ambient mics. Depending on the venue my ambient mics will be in multiple positions all receiving the FOH mix and audience at different times.

When mixing these session the easiest way I have found is to listen to the close mics by themselves and place a sync point at the first note or beat of the first bar of whatever instrument is played fiirst. I then go through the ambient mics and do the same for them.

I then go back to the close mics and tab to transient and this places me right on the sync point for the take I chose as my referance of time. I write down it's position in time code. I then do the same for the ambient mics and write down there position as well.

I then pull up the calculator from dashboard and subtract the close miced track from the ambient track and then use the shift track command to move the ambient mics back in time by the differance.

I found this to be quick and effective for me. I am sure there is a better way, but this works fine.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:22 AM

Hi Shoe.

Good idea using Tab-To-Transients. Never used that function, but I'm aware of it. I just use a combination of hearing and looking at the waveform (close vs. ambi) to adjust. What I'm looking for now is the mathematical way to do this correct, when I got all the needed parameters.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halstein View Post
Can anybody confirm that my math are correct? Thanks.
All looks right to me...

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 10-29-2008, 09:30 AM

Thanks Rich.

It sounds right too.... so I can stick to my math this time.