Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2001, 06:31 AM

Default USD problems

I've got a PT 5.1 mixplus system using G4-450mhz AGP. In some sessions I need to generate SMPTE TC to allow an external cubase system to lock to my PT session. During playback I get intermittent TC droupouts. Granted, I can have the cubase systems timecode reader "freewheel" over the dropouts. However, I feel like I should be able to generate good TC with the USD.

I have the USD and some other gear locked to house sync coming from a Horita Black box. The USD says it's locked so we are OK there. I monitored the SMPTE output from the USD through my mixer and I can hear the dropouts. They never happen in the same place and usually occur once or twice in a :30 second pass.

I posted a question on this a few weeks ago but only recieved a few responses. I found it strange that Digi Tech support responded once, asking what firmware I was using and a few other ?'s. Of course I replied, but haven't gotten a reponse in two weeks...even when I bump the topic to the top of the list. I know they see it. Why don't they respond...maybe they don't know the answer...or worse, maybe they know that their $1500 USD isn't that great and don't want to fess up. C'mon guys. Just because you company is winning Grammy's doesn't mean you can forget about the users that made your products such a success.

For now I'm going to try regenerating the TC through a MOTU microexpress. We'll see if that works. I just can't believe that the USD can't generate goot TC.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

www.stephenshirk.com
www.pinknoise.com
Old 05-03-2001, 06:57 AM

Default Re: USD problems

Hi pnoise,
Stupid question, but are all the frame rates set properly as you never discribed that side of it?
Regards Michael
Old 05-03-2001, 06:58 AM

Hi pnoise,
Stupid question, but are all the frame rates set properly as you never discribed that side of it?
PS I have same setup with no problems.
Regards Michael
Old 05-03-2001, 07:48 AM

it's a bug with 5.1 and USD. Did you have earlier versions of protools behave the same? remember it's 5.1 not 5.1.1 so they still have some work to do.

I love Beta testing.
Old 05-03-2001, 09:18 AM

OK, this maybe stupid but have you tried swapping out cables? Sometimes the simple stuff gets us.

------------------
Old 05-04-2001, 06:24 AM

Any respone digi? Just tell me there's a bug and I'll shut up.

www.stephenshirk.com
www.pinknoise.com