Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2004, 03:42 PM

Default Audiosuite Menu won\'t open

I'm running ProTools Free on Mac OS 9.2. First time user. I've just made some audio voice recordings into a track and I am now ready to edit the recordings. I want to normalize the recordings and do a DC Offset Removal. This is located under the AudioSuite menu. For some reason, the AudioSuite menu tab is grayed out and won't let down. Please help.

stoneact
Old 11-14-2004, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Audiosuite Menu won\'t open

Are the plug-ins present in the System folder->DAE folder->Plug-ins folder?

Why do you want to normalize?
Old 11-16-2004, 03:39 PM

Thanks for replying. I was told to use the normalize function to make all my recordings the same volume. For example, I've recorded several voice recordings on the same track and I was told to make them all sound the same, normalize.

I didn't find anything related under the system folder-dae folder-plug-ins
Old 11-16-2004, 09:16 PM

All normalizing does is raise the peaks to 0db, and the noise floor along with 'em. Better to limit/compress the files so the perceived volume is the same, and leave yourself a few db of headroom.

The gain plug-in does the same thing as normalizing, but at least with it you have control over how much the level gets raised. I often use it to reduce levels on hot files to preserve mix headroom without having to lower the faders a lot.

If the plug-ins are not in the folder I wonder where they are? If you can't find 'em you may have to re-install. No wonder the menus are greyed out.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:26 PM

You rock M.Brane!!! I reinstalled, normalized and everything's groovy!!!

Thanks a bunch!

stoneact