Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 04-13-2023, 10:52 AM

Default Dock fader "grabbing"

Hi,

After just over a year of working well, my Dock fader has started "grabbing" when I try and write automation. I put my finger on it and start to ride the fader (in touch) and the motor tries to grab it and it stutters under my finger - so the automation move doesn't get written properly.

This mainly happens when I try and ride upwards from the zero point. I seem to be able to get round it by moving the fader downwards, then upwards.

I've tried plenty of restarts of the unit, and put it into test mode for a while to see if something needed to work loose from the fader. Not helped unfortunately.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-13-2023, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Dock fader "grabbing"

Do you have more than the Dock (S1 for instance)? I've had a situation like this before where the restart of the Dock doesn't fix it but the problem is actually coming from the S1. Power cycling (by pulling power, not just the switch) the S1 fixed it. It was like the S1 fader was fighting the Dock fader.
Old 04-14-2023, 05:35 AM

Thanks BScout, much appreciated.

As it happens I added an S1 to my setup at about the point this Dock fader issue started. I have pulled the power on both and restarted. Going to road test today and will post again on outcome.
Old 04-14-2023, 08:18 AM
Avid

This can be intermittent touch sense. Either dirty fader or you need to be grounded better.(grab something that is whilst moving the fader as a test)
Old 06-08-2023, 09:50 AM

In the end the fader kept having the same problem. I have recently borrowed some else's Dock - swapped it out for mine - and the fader on this new Dock works well. So I'm now assuming I have a faulty or dirty fader on my Dock.

Hoping Eddie is reading this... Is it possible to buy a new fader and replace at home? Or do I need to send the unit off for repair? The unit is out of warranty, and I am UK based.

Old 06-09-2023, 11:28 AM
Avid

7020-38363-00 ASY,FADER,CONSOLE,BONANZA - DOCK & S3 ONLY

There should be a little access panel underneath. Call a dealer and give them this code or a case with avid.
Old 11-03-2023, 04:03 AM

Hi. I have a similar issue with one of my S3 faders. It's moving on startup but won't response to touch or anything from my DAWs.
I'm not able to find a replacement fader in Europe. How should I proceed in this case?

Thanks!

Win 10 (10980XE / 256 GB RAM) - Pro Tools 2020.11 / Avid S3
Old 11-03-2023, 09:40 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manaberry View Post
Hi. I have a similar issue with one of my S3 faders. It's moving on startup but won't response to touch or anything from my DAWs.
I'm not able to find a replacement fader in Europe. How should I proceed in this case?

Thanks!
Any Avid dealer can order that part above for you. If they say not let me know who they are!