Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-11-2023, 02:52 AM

Default ProTools HD|5 running v.10.3.5 w/RedNet 5

I'm a bit puzzled as I'm not sure if the maximum number of RedNet 5 in combination with ProTools HD|5 is 3 or 5 units in total.

On page 34 of the Rednet Installation Guide 1.1 (https://downloads.focusrite.com/focu...ednet/rednet-5) you can find the following text:

Pro Tools|HD: Connect each RedNet 5’s rear panel PRIMARY port to a DigiLink connector on the Pro Tools|HD system. Each Pro Tools|HD PCI/PCIe card has one DigiLink port (giving the card a capacity of 32 inputs and 32 outputs), thus one RedNet 5 may be connected to each card. A maximum of three RedNet 5s may be connected, giving a total input and output capability of 96 inputs and 96 outputs.

whereas

on page 5 of the RedNet 5 HD32R User Guide v.1.02 (same link as before) you can find:

Up to six RedNet 5/HD32R modules can be used with a Pro Tools|HDX system and five with Pro Tools|HD, allowing the maximum channel count.

Which one is correct?

Just to make sure I understand it correctly: if I want to connect a Digidesign 192 to a RedNet 5 I can only use 32 channels of audio (16 ins and 16 outs). Is it possible to connect a second 192 to the secondary port of the first 192 that is connected to the RedNet 5? The question arises as I have many 192 interfaces and I'd like to use them as much as I can. It is not vital to me to be able to use all I/Os simultaneously but I'd like to be able to connect as many interfaces as possible.

At the moment I have 2 RedNet 5, 4 RedNet 2 and 1 A16R mk2 but I still would like to connect all my gear to the interfaces nothing that as it stands now I can only use 64 I/O simultaneously for the 2 RedNet 5 that I have.

Many thanks for any suggestion in advance
Old 04-11-2023, 04:22 AM

Default Re: ProTools HD|5 running v.10.3.5 w/RedNet 5

Who knows, you just have to put it together and find out the very hard way apparently.
I have a page of documentation that shows to precisely install HD cards and their TDM ribbon cables backwards and in reverse order!
There’s actually a reason guys don’t read the manuals.