Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-03-2022, 03:04 PM

Default Dolby Atmos Mastering Suite hardware questions

Hi all,

I just got the DAMS and got all kinds of contradicting infos regarding hardware requirements to run it with my PT rig.

I'm using a Mac Pro 2019, PT Ultimate with Native Thunderbolt, DAD AX32 (same as MTRX as it has the Digilink ports).

My dealer says i need a Mac Mini + DAD Core 256 to run DAMS. PT documentation says i can use the new AUX I\O for DAPS, would it also work wirh DAMS ?

I also have an RME Dante, would tha twork with DAMS on a dedicated Mac Mini ?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2022, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Dolby Atmos Mastering Suite hardware questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishabou View Post
Hi all,

I just got the DAMS and got all kinds of contradicting infos regarding hardware requirements to run it with my PT rig.

I'm using a Mac Pro 2019, PT Ultimate with Native Thunderbolt, DAD AX32 (same as MTRX as it has the Digilink ports).

My dealer says i need a Mac Mini + DAD Core 256 to run DAMS. PT documentation says i can use the new AUX I\O for DAPS, would it also work wirh DAMS ?

I also have an RME Dante, would tha twork with DAMS on a dedicated Mac Mini ?

Thanks
DAPS will only work if running on the same machine as Pro Tools scenario. You can absolutely use Dante to the DAMS machine as long as you have enough channels of Dante out from your AX32 with the expansion card to a Dante Interface on the DAMS machine.

DAD CORE 256 is a good unit but you won’t be able to get one.
RME Dante would work on the DAMS machine.

Although, your post is confusing. Are you wanting to run DAMS on the same machine as ProTools?
Old 10-03-2022, 07:28 PM

Ideally, i want to run DAMS on the same machine as PT.

At the moment my Mac Pro 2019 (the PT machine) has:
- An Avid PT Native Thunderbolt box hook up to the Digilink port on my DAD AX32 (which has 64x64 Dante I/O)
- A Focusrite PCIe Dante for Cubase and Ableton (128x128 Dante I/O)

Last edited by Mishabou; 10-03-2022 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:37 PM

You should note the following info…

The Dolby Atmos Mastering Suite is the flagship solution designed to run on a separate dedicated PC or Mac workstation with MADI or Dante I/O. It is compatible and qualified with Avid Pro Tools, Blackmagic Designs Resolve, Steinberg Nuendo configured with appropriate I/O.

Benefits of using the Dolby Atmos Mastering Suite include:
A dedicated workstation, CPU and drives for Atmos mastering and monitoring capable of handling any mastering job.
The ability to use DSP plug-ins using low latency HDX hardware with Pro Tools Ultimate
Monitor calibration with EQ and speaker delays if these functions are not available with an external monitor controller.
The ability to use a Sync HD with Avid Pro Tools for external device synchronization.
The ability to handle a multiple DAW or Source/Recorder workflow
The ability to run the Renderer Remote application on any PC or Mac on the same network

If you want to run the Dolby Renderer on the same machine as Pro Tools you should be running DAPS.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:00 AM
Avid

While not explicitly blessed by Dolby, there are some (mostly music folks) that run Mastering Suite via Dante on the same 7,1 Mac Pro using an HDX engine to feed DigiLink to MTRX -> Dante 128 -> FF PCIeR or equivalent IO solution.

As always, a dedicated DAMS workstation is always going to yield the highest level of performance and stability.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 10-04-2022, 11:13 AM

If i run DAMS on a separate machine, what's the recomended configurations ?

As mentioned in my original post, my dealer suggested a Mac Mini and DAD core 256, but the latter is back order.

As an alternative, can i use an RME Dante with either a Mac Mini or Mac Book Pro ?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2022, 11:31 AM
Avid

There are many IO solutions for the renderer that work depending on your needs and IO preferences:

https://www.rme-audio.de/digiface-dante.html

https://pro.focusrite.com/category/a...m/rednet-pcier

Intel only on the FF PCIeR

https://ntp-us.com/dad/core-256/

As always, validate compatible solutions for building a renderer from Dolby:
https://learning.dolby.com/hc/en-us/...eation-Studio-

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 10-04-2022, 02:39 PM

Hi Jeff,

From your links, the Digiface Dante is not on Dolby's list, only the MadiFace XT.

Is this new info you got from Dolby ? I know they are often behind on updating their website.

Thx,
Old 10-04-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
You should note the following info…

The Dolby Atmos Mastering Suite is the flagship solution designed to run on a separate dedicated PC or Mac workstation with MADI or Dante I/O. It is compatible and qualified with Avid Pro Tools, Blackmagic Designs Resolve, Steinberg Nuendo configured with appropriate I/O.

Benefits of using the Dolby Atmos Mastering Suite include:
A dedicated workstation, CPU and drives for Atmos mastering and monitoring capable of handling any mastering job.
The ability to use DSP plug-ins using low latency HDX hardware with Pro Tools Ultimate
Monitor calibration with EQ and speaker delays if these functions are not available with an external monitor controller.
The ability to use a Sync HD with Avid Pro Tools for external device synchronization.
The ability to handle a multiple DAW or Source/Recorder workflow
The ability to run the Renderer Remote application on any PC or Mac on the same network

If you want to run the Dolby Renderer on the same machine as Pro Tools you should be running DAPS.

DAPS and DAMS are exactly the same piece of software. Same installer. Same icon to launch it. A different iLok license just unlocks a handful of additional features.

DAMS works just fine using Dolby Audio Bridge and AUX I/O when running on the same computer, despite Dolby not technically supporting it.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:14 AM

Yep, DAPS and DAMS are the same. AFAIK, the added features in DAMS are mostly related to being able to run on its own machine, connect to the I/o etc.

If you wanted to run on the same machine as Pro Tools, you probably should have stuck with DAPS.

Although, I personally like having DAMS on a separate machine to offload all that CPU load. As another option, you can buy a pretty inexpensive PC and pop a MADI or Dante PCI card in there (both can be found used, cheap). Done.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment