Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 AM

Default Re: NAMM: new avid plug-ins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upscaps View Post
Vienna is already AAX. And NI Kontakt which covers just about all of the remaining VI's because they use it's engine is AAX. Of course you know that VI's are native.

Let's be real waves plugins are not that good. They were years ago but they come up very short against the current crop. They kind of suck but are ingrained on the industry. We have made it fine without the OneKnobs and Kings microphones. Some of the current plugins we have RIGHT NOW on our system as AAX-DSP.

1. The avid stuff including Massenburg, Heat, Chanelstrip, and other included plugs including the mod delays and delays. Plus Revibe, Rev One, Reel Tape delay, Impact, Smack, etc. Already enough to get the job done for a professional.
2. Flux
3. Maag
4. All available McDSP: Filterbank, 6030, Compressorbank, etc.
5. Metric Halo Bundle: channelstrip, transient d, character, de-esser, etc.
6. Neyrinck
7. All the softube stuff. About 19 of the best plugins that are on the market. EQ's, Comps, and yes...delays.
8. All available sonnox
9. A few plugin alliance with the rest coming.

All the TBA's are within a quarter of being on the market. No previous avid DSP system moved this fast on third party support ever. There aren't many plugin companies left. Soundtoys is the only "standard" left that's dragging their feet but there are alternatives to their modulation and delays.

Again if someone can't get the job done with these tools they need to hire a professional. Waves and Soundtoys will not help them. It doesn't get any truer than that.
I could just as easily make the argument that those with a TDM system have a FAR wider variety of tools to choose from so they can do a BETTER job than an HDX owner. I won't make that argument because it's equally silly.

I could also argue that a UAD Apollo owner could do a better job than a TDM or HDX owner.

OK so you don't like Waves. Fine. You're entitled to your opinion but that's all it is, an opinion. It seems most HDX guys don't like Waves now they've been abandoned. As I've said, few were complaining about the quality of their products BEFORE Waves said they weren't doing HDX.

When the H-EQ was released last year everyone agreed how great it was. I'd rather use the Waves CLA2 than most of the plug-ins you've listed for vocals but that's my opinion. Equally, the Soundtoys stuff, H3000 and H-Delay blows all the HDX equivalents out of the water IN MY OPINION. Same with PYE compressor for parallel compression, it kills the 6030 for that job and that's a great plug-in.

It's not just Waves and Soundtoys missing in action, Access, Echo Farm, Amp Farm, Abbey Road, (didn't Softube code some of their plug-ins, the Limiter is great,) URS, TC (The VSS3 is a really nice and will be sorely missed here.)

I hope you're right about the TBAs but time will tell. If they really are within a quarter they'd be quoting actual release dates or at least say something like "released in Q2" IMO.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:57 AM

Default Re: NAMM: new avid plug-ins - Pro Compressor & Expander

Speaking of Abbey Road, I'm pretty sure they've partnered with Waves to develop their plugins, so I don't expect much DSP action there either.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
It's not just Waves and Soundtoys missing in action, Access, Echo Farm, Amp Farm, Abbey Road, (didn't Softube code some of their plug-ins, the Limiter is great,) URS, TC (The VSS3 is a really nice and will be sorely missed here.)
Let us not forget that most of the newer Waves plugins are not even available as TDM. They are native only.

I've been there and there are easy replacements for those in the list I provided above. URS and TC have long since stopped updating their plugins years ago, way before AAX was announced. Is URS even in business? Amp farm sucks in comparison to the Softube amps. Abbey road is just broad stroke eq's and a comp. No one ever used access and again echo farm is easily replaceable. It's a delay. Many of us stopped using waves a very long time ago and H-Eq is nothing special. I'm not sure where you get your "everyone" loved it info from but not in the real world. Softube FET slays the CLA76 and so does the 6030. You would be better off saying tools like Maxbass and Lo-Air are hard to replace.

Your argument should be "I love all my plugins and cannot work without them, so I will stay with my HD rig". But instead your argument is "HDX sucks because they don't have echo farm and waves".
Old 02-02-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upscaps View Post
Let us not forget that most of the newer Waves plugins are not even available as TDM. They are native only.

I've been there and there are easy replacements for those in the list I provided above. URS and TC have long since stopped updating their plugins years ago, way before AAX was announced. Is URS even in business? Amp farm sucks in comparison to the Softube amps. Abbey road is just broad stroke eq's and a comp. No one ever used access and again echo farm is easily replaceable. It's a delay. Many of us stopped using waves a very long time ago and H-Eq is nothing special. I'm not sure where you get your "everyone" loved it info from but not in the real world. Softube FET slays the CLA76 and so does the 6030. You would be better off saying tools like Maxbass and Lo-Air are hard to replace.

Your argument should be "I love all my plugins and cannot work without them, so I will stay with my HD rig". But instead your argument is "HDX sucks because they don't have echo farm and waves".
TC did some nice plugs but their support was horrible at best. They do make nice guitar stomp box fx though

And the Access synth is forever tied to the chip they used. That code is not portable in the slightest. Access support was just as horrible as TC. You should have been on the TC forums when the huge problems with the Access synth and the TC Powercore were happening. Each company pointed fingers at the other for the longest time.

QAPLA!
Old 02-02-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
TC did some nice plugs but their support was horrible at best. They do make nice guitar stomp box fx though

And the Access synth is forever tied to the chip they used. That code is not portable in the slightest. Access support was just as horrible as TC. You should have been on the TC forums when the huge problems with the Access synth and the TC Powercore were happening. Each company pointed fingers at the other for the longest time.
You make good points.

For those that feel the need for DSP versions of the Plug-ins that are currently TDM/RTAS only, legacy systems are the obvious choice. Why can't the rest of us move into the future without all of this AVID bashing?

I left my TDM system for Native and then moved on to HDX, my clients are happy and therefore, so am I.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-02-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
And neither would Waves CEO know that.
Plus, the Waves CEO has a competing product and did his little corporate espionage/faux news thing by propping up an unsuspecting sole with misinformation for months to soften the hit on his own product, DigiGrid. The guy neutered his petition with one email. The oldest trick in the book. I wouldn't trust what any competitor says about the competition. It's foolish. Luckily facilities decided on whether HDX was right for them by first person, hands on experiences. Not by being gullible to political tricks.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFang View Post
If you "polled" HDX users...we wouldn't answer ..because we could give a rats arse about Waves anymore. Worried for a about a minute, got over it...moved on.
Perfect! Exactly. No longer interested.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:03 PM

these plug-ins are a no go for me after using them for a while. There a ton of other plug-ins that so the same or better job sorry Avid but these should be freebie's included with Pro tools.
McDSP Compressors and UAD blows this away.