Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2010, 12:50 PM

Default Audio Post from 1 synced and 1 non-synced camera

I'm conforming audio from Cantar X2 locationrecordings. Used this machine as the TC master in the field, feeding CAM A. CAM B could not take external TC, so it's used in free-run for TC generation.

When conforming (using Virtual Katy VK Conformer) from a Final Cut Pro/CMX3600 EDL-list, everything from CAM A goes right into place (use an OMF from FCP as reference). But all edits with material from CAM B is not usable because of the original TC....of course.

What is the best way to sync these clips??? I got guideaudio from CAM B that are used in Final Cut - so the OMF export contains this cameras sound. Will this be good enough for Titan 3 (or a similar app) to resync if I load a session with proper material?

Thanks for any insight!
Old 02-04-2010, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Audio Post from 1 synced and 1 non-synced camera

I donīt understand. The TC on the camera has nothing to do with the conform process.

The conforming app looks for matching AUDIO tc in the EDL and the meta-data in the BWAVs (at least this is what Titan does).

The camera-TC is irrelevant. Or did they edit with the sound recorded on the camera? In that case you are out of luck because no machine in the world will be able to connect two completely different free-run TCs. Why didnīt they record an LTC to the B CAMīs audio-track instead? That could have saved your butt but now I guess thereīs no other way than manually listen to the camera guide and find the according audio using your ears.

But didnīt the B-CAM shoot at the same time so itīs just a different angle of the same scene? In that case it could be pretty easy since your A-CAM audio is in place.

Frank.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Audio Post from 1 synced and 1 non-synced camera

hi,

trying to understand and see if i can help .. please just disregard any obvious statements and please do not be insulted if something sounds to simple ... truly trying to help ..

were you running a TC slate ? if not, alot of below can be disregarded ...

was it running time of day ? or rec-run ?

did you set the Cam B camera to as close to time of day as you could get ?

how did they line up the cam B material in FCP ?

thinking out loud .. wondering if there is anything that can help you in the EDL

i am taking a look at FCP 7 (i have it here) to see if in the Bin there is some info to help ..

you can sort by Media start (which is the camera's internal TC, hopefully to time of day) .. are these long reels (long takes) or cut all to hell and back ?

there should be a relativity between the Slate and the Internal TC from the non-sync'd camera ... not an offset per se ... but the editor would have used the slate to spot the Cam B footage ...

could the picture editor be of help ? if he could look to where he spotted Cam B by the TC slate he should be able to tell you what the clip start time is using the media start time ... which if your slate was time of day you have a relativity ...

again, if this is useless .. "forget about it"

cheers

john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro