How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 02-10-2022, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Recording through Busses

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernstudios View Post
I`m usually routing everything through busses in my mix (like probably almost everyone else does..) means guitars go to guitar bus -> mix bus -> PRINT

now from time to time I have to add a guitar or a piano here and there and I was wondering if I can do that without having to worry about latency through busses at all as long as there are no plugins on my mixbus

of course if I would route everything through the main out it would be no problem but how about going through busses?

thx

Protools Ultimate 2021.1, Mac Mini 2019 Mojave, Apogee Symphony I/O with HD Native Card
i've never found a satisfactory way and I always end up routing the overdub direct to the stereo main outs. The advantage of this though is that it's dead easy to balance the the OD against level of the backing track for monitoring purposes as the track is all on one fader.

Last edited by midnightrambler; 02-10-2022 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:39 AM

I don't think the real problem is delay compensation recording through busses but sidechain delay comp which isn't taken care of in regular PT. Only PT Ultimate does that IIRC.

QAPLA!
Old 02-10-2022, 11:48 AM

Default Recording through Busses

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I don't think the real problem is delay compensation recording through busses but sidechain delay comp which isn't taken care of in regular PT. Only PT Ultimate does that IIRC.
Sidechain ADC was added to native last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Sidechain ADC was added to native last year.

Which revision? I'm on 2021.6

QAPLA!
Old 02-10-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Which revision? I'm on 2021.6

Exactly the version you’re on.

Old 02-10-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Exactly the version you’re on.

Thanks. Goes to show I should read the release notes.

QAPLA!
Old 02-10-2022, 02:28 PM

Have you tried putting your print track into blue mode? I have no idea if it is a feature in standard versions of Pro Tools, but it is in ultimate. Usually these situations are caused by a duplication of delay compensation due to cascading channels that are input/record armed, rather than a lack of delay compensation. Blue mode allows you to quickly bypass the delay compensation on chosen channels, making its time domain relative to the source rather than relative to the playback.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 02-10-2022, 06:24 PM

I've never had an issue with latency on Aux and I record vocals through AT all the time since getting rid of my HD setup and going, full Native.
Now, the only issue I always had when using Native was Side Chaining and it being covered by DC. Now, everything is covered by DC so it's much sweeter.

JusMyThoughts, Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 02-11-2022, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Have you tried putting your print track into blue mode? I have no idea if it is a feature in standard versions of Pro Tools, but it is in ultimate. Usually these situations are caused by a duplication of delay compensation due to cascading channels that are input/record armed, rather than a lack of delay compensation. Blue mode allows you to quickly bypass the delay compensation on chosen channels, making its time domain relative to the source rather than relative to the playback.
What is blue mode?

QAPLA!
Old 02-11-2022, 06:12 AM

Quote:
What is blue mode?

It has been in Pro Tools Ultimate for at least 5 or 6 years now. Everyone is probably familiar with the green/orange/red delay compensation indicators available below the faders in the mix window. There is a four - blue mode - that you access by command + right clicking on "cmp" and choosing "Auto Low Latency Off". It turns the cmp text blue.

I suggest trying it on your print tracks first, and see if it fixes the latency issues. If it doesn't, work your way back through the signal chain, applying it on more channels.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.