Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2022, 11:36 PM

Default Monterey OSX Testing (Rosetta Of Course)

Hey guys, I just noticed Pro Tools 2021.12 is only seeing 8 cores on the Macbook Pro M1 Pro. Logic Pro and Studio One both see all cores.
X-Form won't load. I really need that. Argh, that really sucks.
Everything else is working but I really hope Avid takes 100% advantage of the Apple Silicon processors. If it's running like this now, I can't imagine how much better it can be if Avid will make it run hopefully, 50% to 75% better, stable, snappier, smoother, etc.

Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 02-01-2022, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Monterey OSX Testing (Rosetta Of Course)

I believe Pro Tools doesn’t show the 2 x efficiency cores so you’re only seeing the 8 x performance cores.

Clearly other DAWs are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2022, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
I really need that. Argh, that sucks Marc
If you really need this so bad, Im wondering why youre on a system which is still in development.
M1 is too soon at the moment.

MTRX v.2.4.2.2 + dante card + madi baseunit + optical SFP 1300nm
MTRX-II v.1.0.5.2 + TB3 + 1x AD mic 8ch + 1x DA 8ch
+ madi baseunit + optical SFP 1300nm
MOM v.1.0.1.4 by DAD

Genelec 1237A Sam, Avantone active mixcubes
LA2a (1968), 1073 pre/eq, Neve RNHP, Wacom Intuos Pro
Furman P1400 AR E Power conditioner

Live-rack:
1x HD Native TB, 4x 192 I/O (64ch AD)
8x Yamaha HA-8 micpre, Rosendahl mif4,
Genelec 1031A, Presonus Monitor Station
Old 02-02-2022, 01:16 AM

Avid tries to sell us the only performance cores thing but it's clear that using all cores is more powerful.
Old 02-02-2022, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Hey guys, I just noticed Pro Tools 2021.12 is only seeing 8 cores on the Macbook Pro M1 Pro. Logic Pro and Studio One both see all cores.
X-Form won't load. I really need that. Argh, that really sucks.
Everything else is working but I really hope Avid takes 100% advantage of the Apple Silicon processors. If it's running like this now, I can't imagine how much better it can be if Avid will make it run hopefully, 50% to 75% better, stable, snappier, smoother, etc.

Marc
X-Form is part of the Avid Complete Bundle which doesn't work with Monterey. So, M1 Pro is the wrong platform if you need that, because you cannot run anything other than Monterey on an M1 Pro.
Old 02-02-2022, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Avid tries to sell us the only performance cores thing but it's clear that using all cores is more powerful.
In what way is it clear?

There's plenty of sense in the design decision to use the performance cores for the active application (ProTools) and leave the efficiency cores for system processing - things like disk and network IO, indexing etc.
You get predictable performance from all the performance cores being the same and you let system/OS operations run without impacting application performance.
Whether that design decision results in better overall and/ or more predictable performance overall is another question, but as a design choice it makes perfect sense.
Old 02-02-2022, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
In what way is it clear?

There's plenty of sense in the design decision to use the performance cores for the active application (ProTools) and leave the efficiency cores for system processing - things like disk and network IO, indexing etc.
You get predictable performance from all the performance cores being the same and you let system/OS operations run without impacting application performance.
Whether that design decision results in better overall and/ or more predictable performance overall is another question, but as a design choice it makes perfect sense.
I understand the theory and maybe it's true. But when it was using all the cores I could use more or less 40% more of plug-in instances than with only performance cores. And it was very stable. I'm not a scientist but, maybe now it's more stable (thing that I didn't notice) but it was more powerful.
Old 02-02-2022, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
I understand the theory and maybe it's true. But when it was using all the cores I could use more or less 40% more of plug-in instances than with only performance cores. And it was very stable. I'm not a scientist but, maybe now it's more stable (thing that I didn't notice) but it was more powerful.
I don't doubt your measurement, but that's a big increase which is hard to explain by having just 2 more low-powered cores. I think something else must have changed in the code to make such a huge difference.

EDIT: I see you are on an M1, not an M1 Pro or Max. That explains it. Earlier versions of PT used all 8 cores of the M1 - which is 4 performance and 4 efficiency. At some point, the use of the efficiency cores for PT was removed, leaving you with only 4 performance cores. So yes, for an M1 chip, a 40% difference in plugin numbers is perfectly feasible and very frustrating, I'm sure.

Dominic
Old 02-02-2022, 08:10 AM

embarrassing for avid to be this slow. anyone who buys a brand new macbook pro (released in oct 21) cannot use protools ultimate with confidence.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
I believe Pro Tools doesn’t show the 2 x efficiency cores so you’re only seeing the 8 x performance cores.

Clearly other DAWs are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah OK. They must have changed this lately. Sounds fair.

Thanks, Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc